Forum Replies Created
-
WOW!
800 bucks in one go. Somebody is listening.
David
OK. I’m taking the Steelers, 23-21 !
-
When I bought my Kona last July. I was asking the same question. As far as I know it is not shipping yet, but it is stil a “coming soon” product on BMD’s site.
Eventuallly someone from either of the manufactureers is going to step into this thread and start peeing in the snow and then that is when they get ugly.
David
Just compare the features and decide.
I am out of this thread!
OK. I’m taking the Steelers, 23-21 !
-
David Battistella
February 2, 2006 at 3:43 am in reply to: Insufficent disk space error on batch captureCheck the timecode in’s and outs on your logged clip. I suspec that at the begining or end of the clip there is a TC that was incorrectly logged, thus making the duration seem much long. FCP is just doing the math bu=y looking atht ecodec and the clip duration.
David
OK. I’m taking the Steelers, 23-21 !
-
Go with your gut. That is all it comes down to. Threads like this are a pre attempt at removing the possibility of buyers remorse.
Go to the Kona thread to ask about Kona features.
Go to the BMD site to ask them about Multibridge features.
Pull out your Checkbook and buy what you feel good about, not what we feel good about.
David
OK. I’m taking the Steelers, 23-21 !
-
Very good post.
I guess you could record the interviews to DV (as most of the dialoge is audio anyway. For me, the main drawbacks are. 1. Short record times. 2 extra gear in the field. I wasn;t suggesting teh rental of the HVX, but I would love to be able to rent P2 cards and offload them at the end of a shooting day instead of offloading as the day rolls along. The thing is, the P2 cards seem to be rolling out at a trickle and Panasonic can’t seem to fill orders. ANother month has passed and I still haven’t been able to hold one in my hands in a store here in Canada.
David
OK. I’m taking the Steelers, 23-21 !
-
I have seen this too. Once I went in and set the Kona in the view menu it was fine after quiting out of and restarting FCP.
What happened to FCP rescue? Not avaiable anymore?
David
OK. I’m taking the Steelers, 23-21 !
-
What specifics do you want to know? If it is purely techinical that is one thing. If it purely editing esthetic that is another thing entirely.
d
OK. I’m taking the Steelers, 23-21 !
-
David Battistella
January 31, 2006 at 1:31 pm in reply to: Online- final cut not taking in and out pointsTry this
Capture everything else.
Shift select all of the offline media in the timeline.
Drag those clips to a bin in the browser.
Try capturing those clips to see if FCP is respecting teh ins and outs. After they capture reconnect them to the clips timelline.
OR
Use the clips you drag out to get the TC numbers to create brand new clips that wyou will have to manually recapture. To do this you would open Log and capture and type the ins and outs and log “fresh” clips, it’s easy becasue you can copy paste the values from the clips sitting inthe browser.
I suggest this if A doesn’t work because something must have been corrputed somewhere.
David
OK. I’m taking the Steelers, 23-21 !
-
Haakon et al,
I do not want to be the P2 basher. I know that I have made statements here that would make it seem that way. P2 is being hailed as this miraculous thing entering the hands of low cost HD camera’s and there is a lot riding on this technology.
I should put things in persepctive from what I see in my own town of Toronto. This is a SONY town. This is not to say that I am a SONY lover, but I can tell you that the major rental houses have about 30 F900 camera;’s to one varicam or DX30’s to SDX 900’s or ZR1 HDV camera’s to HVXes. I know that Chicago is a town that is much more Panasonic friendly. The major broadcasters here are SONY shops from top to ground floor. (the war that Jan says DVC25 won was not won in this city.
When I look at P2 i see a fabulous idea. I have stated many times that I believe that the widespread use of P2 will be dependant on market penetration. Panasonic was LATE with their handheld HD offering. An entie season of stuff was shot on SONY HDV camera’s. (one rental house has told me the 11 that he owns are out every day. WHY? He makes an investment in the camera and the renters make a small investment in the tapestock. They rent the camera and take the tapes home.
Does Panasonic have any plans to get the gear into the rental market by offering it to rental houseswith umpteen numbers of P2 cards to rent? Why aren’t P2 cards so readily avaiable that I could rent them? Maybe I want to rent a bunch of cards and not have to worry about all of this offloading? It seems like there is no plan to saturate the market and if they do not I am afriad they won’t get enough market share to make a move. People might go with SONY because it is “what they know”.
Same goes for if an out of town client is looking to hire you. “What camera do you have?” Major television networks and large production companies still ask you if you shoot Betacam. I have never heard anyone ask for M2 and I doubt you can even get a part for or buy an M2 cassette. (let alone play it back somewhere).
So in walks Panasonic with P2, a fantastic idea. NO TAPE, great! So the posters into this forum suggest that you add a laptop, an offloading firewire device, a person to do the downloading, that you tell your client to show up with a firewire hard drive to take back to New York with them. ABC, NBC, FOX, CBS. Are these people sending their producers out in the field with P2 cards and Firewire drives? Not yet. So the question is not whether this LATE hd technology is good or not, it is whether the speific headaches can be overcome. I am sure that as I begin to shoot P2 I will be a convert too, BUT the very big but is, what is happening out there to make it a standard. At some point I have to interact with the rest of teh world and that is important too.
The new Apple laptop does not have a PCMCIA slot. I see this as a major setback. The technology while excellent, is not cheap, so how will Panasonic assure people A) the drives will be more available. B) that its going to be widely used.
For 2400.00 I can buy 6400 minutes of DVCPRO tape. I can buy 1 8 gig p2 card for about that too.
6400 minutes of DVCpro 50 is about 106 hours of footage. So my one time capture and archive cost is 2400 dollars. Using P2 for the same production I spend 2200 upfront, then I need to consider that I will need about 500 DVD’s (AND THE TIME IT TAKES TO MAKE THEM) spend at .80/dvd. So about 2700.00 for the same amount of stuff assuming the time to make them is free. I only break even on an 8 gig P2 card after I have shot 106 hours of media. Double this becasue shooting with one 8 gig card is impractical. This is why I think it is better suited to high tape things like new gathering and why I state that it is a longer term investmant than tape.Haakon, I am also a narrative filmmaker, so the time I save editing is less important because my footage does not have to be on the air that night. I conduct longer, research style interviews for my films. so the short record times are an issue.
I want to state very plainly that not every solution being presented on either side of this is bulletproof, but we can not take it all at face value either. P2, like any other product on the cow should be discussed and debated, there has been much spin and anticipation, but what the longer term on this technology remains to be seen.
I for one hope it is worth the wait.
David
OK. I’m taking the Steelers, 23-21 !
-
I’m going. I have two seats at the fifty yardline behind the bench.
Wanna come?
David
I can’t believe it’s not butter!