[Franz Bieberkopf] “To continue receiving upgrades and support after the first year, perpetual licenses must be renewed annually for $299.”
So this would mean even if you buy the software you’d still need to renew for updates. While some might grumble about that, it’s still better than Adobe CC because if you decide not to renew you keep what you have.
[Franz Bieberkopf] “Software starts at $1,299 USD;”
Which would seem to be purchase price plus that first year of updates (sort of).
[Franz Bieberkopf] “Software subscription licensing starts at $50/month;”
So it would seem there’s either monthly or buy and annual subscription but no annual only subscription. Offhand I don’t think there’s anything wrong with that.
This could have been a model Adobe considered. I suspect Adobe felt that too few people would subscribe for the following year after a perpetual license purchase. I do think it makes sense for Avid though.
One thing not clear. Once you buy and you’re on the $299 subscription getting future upgrades, if you terminate do you keep the upgrades you’ve reached. My guess would be yes, unlike Adobe.