I’ve been one of those who has been negative on Avid but I think Oliver is absolutely right.
I think the new pricing model for the NLE is exactly what they need to make software a bit more valuable to them and more palatable to the user.
Avid’s not so much about bleeding edge features as their base is about reliability. What needed wasn’t a “wiz bang” but a more profitable and attractive software business model. They’ve done exactly that.
Low cost of entry to subscribe complete with Symphony Option.
A buy option with subscription for updates and the ability for the user to exit, if they chose, and still have MC.
The ability to jump back in if you’ve exited, even though it’s full price again (protecting Avid from loses from upgrade skippers).
Lots of options for the users and more revenue for Avid. Rather than antagonize their base, they now have avenues to expand their NLE sales and revenue… for those who value a conservative approach to features in exchange for reliability and key features other NLEs are still far behind on.