Bill Davis
Forum Replies Created
-
I’d seen the Backup document, but had no idea how it worked.
This makes huge sense.
I agree that force corrupting your project to go back 15 minutes, is an iffy idea – but the fact that X is always storing a copy of your un-corrupted project so that if things DO go wrong somehow, the auto-recovery system will step in is very cool.
“Before speaking out ask yourself whether your words are true, whether they are respectful and whether they are needed in our civil discussions.”-Justice O’Connor
-
[Tom Wolsky] “The color picker isn’t part of FCP. It’s a system wide color picker and part of the OS. It can open in any app that uses a color picker, even Photoshop. Any color placed on a swatch in the drawer is available to all applications that access the color picker on your computer.
All the best,
Tom”
But Tom,
Chris wants to be angry. Invoking objective reality seldom has much effect on someone in that state. I know this to be true because I have a teenager at home.
; )
“Before speaking out ask yourself whether your words are true, whether they are respectful and whether they are needed in our civil discussions.”-Justice O’Connor
-
So if a graphic designer buys the Master Suite to get inDesign, Dreamweaver, and Illustrator – since PPro comes along with the pack – is that a PPro “seat” from the companies point of view?”
This is part of my issue with the whole “bundling” approach to business. It’s clearly good for Adobe’s business model to make standalone purchases pretty expensive compared to the bundles – and it’s smart business to drive incremental sales by encouraging larger dollar value purchases. But how do you keep track of whether people are actually using a given product on a day to day basis when the bundled product may contain many discrete pieces that may or may not be relevant to the end user?
It kinda divorces “sales” from “use.” IMO.
I could be totally wrong and there certainly might be 2 million PPro users worldwide launching the program every day to make videos.
And if so, Adobe has every right to trumpet that fact.
But if they’re reached that much penetration, It hasn’t shown up in the circles I talk to. In fact, I haven’t talked to a single editor that’s basing their business editing on PPro.
That certainly doesn’t mean there aren’t a lot of them. Just that I haven’t run across them.
Anyone else regularly getting significant work from PPro editors or get calls from clients wanting you to finish work in that program?
Just wondering.
“Before speaking out ask yourself whether your words are true, whether they are respectful and whether they are needed in our civil discussions.”-Justice O’Connor
-
The Type world has always been a bit of a snake pit. It’s constructed on the old “licensed technology” model that’s supposed to protect copyrights and insure the creator a reasonable stream of income for their creative work – but in practice, it’s always been a system that encourages a battle between those who wish to protect everything and those who wish to benefit from everything without paying for anything.
Personally, I wish there was a “Steve Jobs” of type. Someone somewhere who could do for type what Jobs did for music – construct a simple system that offers high-quality digital content – with legal compliance and rights management built in – fostering some standards so that there aren’t so many competing technical systems that you never know which encoding will succeed or fail – all at prices that not only encourage individual responsibility, but make it easier to do the right thing regarding licensing.
When the iTunes Music Store first debuted and they used AAC instead of MP3 – there was a fair bit of teeth gnashing. A few years later, things have settled down and you can buy a rally nice AAC encoded 128 bit song without copy protection from the iTMS for just over a buck.
Sure be cool if fonts worked the same way.
But if wishes were horses…
“Before speaking out ask yourself whether your words are true, whether they are respectful and whether they are needed in our civil discussions.”-Justice O’Connor
-
Bill Davis
April 28, 2012 at 2:50 am in reply to: Apple engineers versus an editor’s ability to set persistent in to out points in their footage.Same old argument again and again and again.
“I was happy the way things were and I don’t like change.”
Verses
“I’m willing to alter my expectations in order to approach traditional processes in new ways.”
Both defensible positions. Neither “wrong.”
But those in the first group are still grappling ( if not downright struggling) with the FCP changes – while the second group has long since stopped fighting the war that’s over (7 is EOL + a year now) and moved on to elevating mastery of the new process.
The only given is that X will never satisfy them – because the real hurt was never the product itself -it was the way they came to believe Apple had betrayed them emotionally by taking away their defining tool.
I guess,”victim” can sometimes be seen as a very alluring role – but I’m personally not very attracted to it.
The world changes.
As Kurt Vonnegut famously summed it up so long ago…
“… and so it goes.”
“Before speaking out ask yourself whether your words are true, whether they are respectful and whether they are needed in our civil discussions.”-Justice O’Connor
-
Whew,
For just a moment I was worried that Tim’s reply would be oddly layered with personal affront and bitterness…
“Before speaking out ask yourself whether your words are true, whether they are respectful and whether they are needed in our civil discussions.”-Justice O’Connor
-
I’ve been on Lion for at least 6 months, so that’s off my radar any more.
IIRC, my upgrade from 10.0.2 to 10.0.3 was a bit of a mess. It took a whole day for my projects to settle down and start acting smooth again. I’ve always suspected that X had made changes to the database structure that had to be written across all my project files. Maybe the new plumbing for multi-cam or something? I don’t know.
The bump from 10.0.3 to 10.0.4 was a lot easier. After running the update, a close down and re-open and everything was pretty much fine. My active files didn’t seem to require much time to update and I can’t recall anything that went astray at all .
When I’ve opened older projects from backup – the software has indicated that those “old files” had to be updated to the new program – but it’s just been a few extra minutes on opening to convert. Nothing problematic at all.
Still, making safety backups before you upgrade will always and forever be the best practice.
FWIW.
“Before speaking out ask yourself whether your words are true, whether they are respectful and whether they are needed in our civil discussions.”-Justice O’Connor
-
I choose to believe that you’ve discovered a way to connect 100,000,000 first generation surplus LEDs to a solar array and are planning to project a massive Final Cut Pro X logo over the entire Midwest whenever the overcast skies are just right.
Let me know if I’m right as soon as possible.
I’d be pleased to work with you on selling ad space for this kind of bold new “cloud-based” initiative. ; )
“Before speaking out ask yourself whether your words are true, whether they are respectful and whether they are needed in our civil discussions.”-Justice O’Connor
-
Share Menu.
Export Media.
Select Audio Only.
“Before speaking out ask yourself whether your words are true, whether they are respectful and whether they are needed in our civil discussions.”-Justice O’Connor
-
If you’re in a shared storage or multi-user environ with critical work on the line, then backups obviously need to be managed very carefully.
For the single seat user, just slap a drive on the system and let Time Machine mirror the state of your Event and Project libraries on a regular basis. Done.
Personally, I haven’t lost a single project in nearly a year of working with X and that one was in V1.2 and I was able to recover my TimeMachine clean copy and go back to work in about 10 minutes.
There’s a”Nancy Grace” syndrome at work here, I think. Kidnappings have always happened. But for decades, they were perceived as rare and distant. Now they’re on TV persistently with essentially TV shows who’s ratings sink and swim with the broadcast of that kind of content so there’s a heightened sense that it’s a much more real possibility than it really is for those not in the general class of custody disputes and other risk factors.
When you hear a few isolated examples of bad stuff happening – just note it, maybe take some action if it’s not too expensive or troublesome – and move along.
Only when these boards fill up with large swaths of crash reports or problems – is it time to worry, IMO.
“Before speaking out ask yourself whether your words are true, whether they are respectful and whether they are needed in our civil discussions.”-Justice O’Connor