Bill Davis
Forum Replies Created
-
[Herb Sevush] “Similar to how I think anyone who posts on technical forums using emoticons, and isn’t 14 years old, shouldn’t be taken seriously.
“Well…..
Stuff evolves. Emoticons begat emojis.
Now I use emojis to GREAT organizational effect in my FCP X database to visually depict the state of my work in progress.This is how my Projects list now appears when I’m doing VO work on my developing XinTwo series. I have 100+ scripts/VOs to manage and knowing at a glance which is complete and at what state the rest currently are in is pretty MAJORLY useful when I need to exit my client work and pick up the baton again.
YMMV.
Creator of XinTwo – https://www.xintwo.com
The shortest path to FCP X mastery. -
There’s a long thread somewhere on the forum during the earlier debates about whether there were any visible advantages to going the Terrenex route over the direct FireWire deck transfers.
I reached out to my old friend tech journalist Adam Wilt at the time for guidance.
IIRC, the upshot of his technically informed opinion was that if the original recording has limited signal bandwidth, there’s no improvement to be gained via an improved capture method.
So for me, that’s that.
If you’re digitizing higher Rez sources, Terrenex all the way. But a VHS, or even Hi-8 tape? Waste of resources.
YMMV.
Creator of XinTwo – https://www.xintwo.com
The shortest path to FCP X mastery. -
In the interests of people coming here for information.
My friend Patrick Southern was the AE on “OJ Speaks, the Hidden Tapes” programs for A&E and as such, had to digitize MOUNTAINS of depositions and historical content off all sorts of tapes from 1″ to BetaSP to VHS.
He and producer Chuck Braverman did a TON of testing regarding conversions and digitizations seeking the highest quality conversions to air.
In the end, they dumped ALL the external box approaches including those via high-end Hollywood transfer services – and simply plugged in appropriate tape decks via Firewire and digitized directly into X.
THAT provided them the highest quality transfers. And that’s what aired.
I have used the <$200 BlackMagic Designs Video Recorder dongle to transfer VHS, S-VHS, Hi-8 and other sources into X via vanilla USB and have had exactly the same results.
It’s easy to overthink this.
FWIW.
Creator of XinTwo – https://www.xintwo.com
The shortest path to FCP X mastery. -
Bill Davis
January 27, 2017 at 5:36 am in reply to: 10.3.2 Is out – WOW review from a huge X facility in Europe.[Oliver Peters] “Funny. Also from Nielsen: “Now we are actually ABLE to work in the timeline.” This pertains to large projects (sequences) and is something many of us have been complaining about for a long, long time. Yet many would argue that the issue doesn’t exist. ☺
“A few days ago (I’ve been on a client deadline since and mentally pushed it aside) I got a personal note from Mads about this.
He was sorta apologizing for the “in-artful” phrasing of his post. (Remember, English is NOT his first language – tho you certainly wouldn’t know it from chatting with him in person!)
Why in heaven’s sake he’d think he had ANY reason to apologize to me for anything is WAY beyond me – but I think he felt that his comment “in that form” caused me problems in this thread he didn’t wish to cause.
I just noted that’s how language interpretation works. (and this forum has ALWAYS been pretty crappy at language interpretation, truth be told – and I’m as guilty of it as the next guy!)
We say or write what we mean. Others hear what they FEEL we were trying to say. And there’s often a gap in between those two realities.
Just for the record, Mads was NOT trying to imply he “couldn’t use” X before 10.3.2 or that the operational experience was “bad” before the update.
Quite the opposite. Their team has been churning out deadline oriented broadcast content quite handily (and winning awards for it) for quite some time now.
But like everyone who edits – a significant boost in daily productivity with the software flowing smoother and working faster than it did before – is ALWAYS cause for celebration.
Simple as that.
Creator of XinTwo – https://www.xintwo.com
The shortest path to FCP X mastery. -
Bill Davis
January 27, 2017 at 5:20 am in reply to: 10.3.2 Is out – WOW review from a huge X facility in Europe.[Walter Soyka] “Bill Davis] “How does the Adobe ecosystem manage which clips are embedded in the projects? Is it this handled by the “panels” thing?”
I’m afraid I don’t understand the question. Premiere Pro (like all NLEs) uses a relational database under the hood, but I don’t really understand what you’re asking here. If you can re-state the question a different way, maybe I’ll understand better and then I could answer.”
Sorry for being unclear, Walter.
At the core, one of the things I enjoy most about working with X is how I can access assets across my storylines – basically letting me “reach into” my editing constructions to search out and identify the specific assets I might be interested in manipulating.
This is implemented both via keyword search, smart collections – and how markers are expressed in the timeline index.
It seems “well connected” to me – allowing me to make a decision easily.
One example would be “change all the clips in this CLASS to a duration of 20 frames” – and globally execute this even after I’ve constructed a storyline where all the clips in that class are all currently 30 frames.
This is what I was referring to as “clips embedded in projects.”
Again, sorry to have written it so poorly.
Creator of XinTwo – https://www.xintwo.com
The shortest path to FCP X mastery. -
I know. But not acknowledging that the forum is open to all sensitivities and cultures, I felt that presuming everyone coming here to learn about editing feels exactly like *I* might about this stuff would be callous.
Plus, it costs nothing to be polite.
????
Creator of XinTwo – https://www.xintwo.com
The shortest path to FCP X mastery. -
Tom clearly does great work. As does another music video editing friend of ours in London, Vid Price – who recently posted that three years ago he was called to the recently departed George Michaels home in Highgate, London to work on what became the “Let Her Down Easy” video – each have been using X to do high end work in the Music Video space for years.
Vid has a great photo of himself sitting with The artist in a sumptuously elegant study-like room on his MacBook Pro working on this. (Warning: a brief scene of non-gratuitous nudity involved) it will remind you what a absolutely stellar talent we lost when Mr. Michaels passed recently.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=youtu.be&v=58hMog3XuuYCreator of XinTwo – https://www.xintwo.com
The shortest path to FCP X mastery. -
[andy patterson] “Having said that I never did get a third class operators permit from the FCC. Did you?
“Actually. Yes.
; )
Creator of XinTwo – https://www.xintwo.com
The shortest path to FCP X mastery. -
Bill Davis
January 23, 2017 at 10:23 pm in reply to: Mac Pro 2 Concept — (if only Apple cared about the Pro market)[andy patterson] “You do at times mock other companies and talk negatively about other software programs so get over yourself dude!”
An hour ago I was helping a bit on learning theory – cuz I’m trying to do some work in that area – and I stumbled across this quote:
“…the quality of adaptation is thoroughly dependent on the quality of the stress.” – Mark Rippertoe
Thats QUITE insightful, IMO.
I can see I am a bit stressed these days.
As I suspect, you are too.
So I’ll leave things there.
To the group in general, I apologize for my tone lately.
Back to work.
Creator of XinTwo – https://www.xintwo.com
The shortest path to FCP X mastery. -
Bill Davis
January 23, 2017 at 3:43 am in reply to: 10.3.2 Is out – WOW review from a huge X facility in Europe.[Andrew Kimery] “(and don’t complain even more when your hypocrisy gets pointed out). Just own your actions and go with it.”
Hypocrisy?
Good god, man – all I did was post a link to a high end facility editors direct experience with the tool this entire forum is supposedly about!
It wasn’t me leading the brigade of – “yeah, but look at all the other stuff that still sucks about X.
It’s like the forum is just loaded with participants deathly afraid that this thing will keep improving.
Hint: if advancements in X make you crazy – don’t freaking use it.
But it’s not OK in my book to have to turn a forum ABOUT FCP X into a place specifically hostile to it. Not when it works perfectly well for millions of editors.
I’ve already long since stopped inviting some of the brightest folks using it to stop by to discuss it in this forum – because the ones that I did just didn’t want to waste their time with the constant bitching and negativity here.
If it’s what the Cow wants – a Final Cut Pro X forum where every single positive comment about it must be aggressively challenged by default – well,good luck with that.
Creator of XinTwo – https://www.xintwo.com
The shortest path to FCP X mastery.
