Bill Davis
Forum Replies Created
-
Bill Davis
January 23, 2017 at 3:11 am in reply to: Mac Pro 2 Concept — (if only Apple cared about the Pro market)[Steve Connor] “But in some ways there’s LESS capability as you have to add external devices to replace the connectivity that’s been lost.”
If there’s an adapter – you do not lose any “capability” at all. Only temporary “convenience” which disappears as you refresh your gear as manufacturers migrate to the new standard.
Creator of XinTwo – https://www.xintwo.com
The shortest path to FCP X mastery. -
Bill Davis
January 22, 2017 at 2:33 pm in reply to: Mac Pro 2 Concept — (if only Apple cared about the Pro market)[John Rofrano] “Apple is in some kind of “thin is better” bubble that they just can’t get out of. (anyone have a pin that can burst it and free them?) lol”
Not surprisingly, I see this very differently.
The people who think Apples game is “thin” I think are missing the point.
The goal isn’t actually “thin” – it’s “refined.” If you refine your designs so it requires less space to pack in all the performance the vast majority of your customers need, what’s the use of making it thicker just to accommodate stuff like old form-factor ports that need more space?
Would having a few more millimeters of empty space in the chassis cavity to allow bigger connectors make real sense if to get that you had to make the unit thicker than it actually needed to be? Seems kinda silly to me.
For decades new clients have asked me “ideally, how long should my video be?” I always answer ” exactly as long we need to make it to effectively communicate the message we need to send, and not a second longer.”
What’s the problem with applying the same standard to laptops?
Finally, I think there are other GREAT company wide benefits to the design philosophy that allows for thin laptops. That same culture of “refinement” in manufacturing prowess becomes even more useful when you start working beyond laptops and tablets and are packing “capability density” into phones, watches, and maybe someday sophisticated medical devices.
Again, you’re free to see this as a quest for “thin” but it’s equally valid to see it as a quest for refinement – that has the SIDE EFFECT of allowing thinness. Building expertise in packing more and more capability in less and less physical space. That seems kinda fundamentally smart to me.
FWIW.
Creator of XinTwo – https://www.xintwo.com
The shortest path to FCP X mastery. -
Bill Davis
January 22, 2017 at 2:08 pm in reply to: Mac Pro 2 Concept — (if only Apple cared about the Pro market)[andy patterson] “[Bill Davis] “A) please find a post of mine where I have mocked AVID or ADOBE or SONY or any other NLE vendor EVER.”
You wrote the following below Bill.
“That’s right. Just look at how evil Apple is in forcing their customers to pay continuously to use the products they used to be able to BUY once and use forever. It’s disgraceful”.
Is that not mocking Adobe’s CC? I am not a fan of the CC myself so I don’t mind the comment. “
It is not because everyone here knows I do my best NEVER to negatively comment on software I don’t actually have direct experience with. the business model, however IS fair game. I dislike that and everyone here knows it. Perhaps you’re just too new in these parts to understand the context?
As to your second point, please explain what exactly does one of Scott’s posts linking one of my friend Olivers articals have to do with you?
And finally.
Cool, your position is that the other programs are advanced in ways I just don’t understand.
Convince me. Give me your top three capabilities that another software package can do that X can’t? I’d cite Range based tagging, the magnetic timeline, and Roles as innovations singular to X – so help me understand about the equivelents or similar unique features in the other NLEs.Creator of XinTwo – https://www.xintwo.com
The shortest path to FCP X mastery. -
Bill Davis
January 22, 2017 at 1:44 pm in reply to: 10.3.2 Is out – WOW review from a huge X facility in Europe.[Andrew Kimery] “The figurative sword isn’t being swung at YOU, it’s being swung at FCP X.”
Oh excuse me?
THIS….
“I suspect part of Herb’s snark is in that you purposefully left off Mads last line about the performance improvement in the timeline”
…is pretty much YOU swinging your own invented “purposefully” word-sword directly at ME – after jumping to an incorrect assumption.
Excuse me if I have a bit of trouble, Andrew, with your about face and sudden quest to don the mantle of the wise neutral arbiter is this.
Ceasars wife, you ain’t.
Creator of XinTwo – https://www.xintwo.com
The shortest path to FCP X mastery. -
Bill Davis
January 22, 2017 at 1:05 am in reply to: Mac Pro 2 Concept — (if only Apple cared about the Pro market)[andy patterson] “I know you like to mock all other companies except Apple but the bat shit crazy device below is the result of Apple not offering a work station for their customers who want it. “
A) please find a post of mine where I have mocked AVID or ADOBE or SONY or any other NLE vendor EVER.
Yes, I do call out some of their business and marketing decisions occasionally, cuz I have some expertise in that realm. But, I generally don’t comment on programs about which I am largely ignorant. Odd position, huh?
Creator of XinTwo – https://www.xintwo.com
The shortest path to FCP X mastery. -
Bill Davis
January 22, 2017 at 12:46 am in reply to: 10.3.2 Is out – WOW review from a huge X facility in Europe.[Andrew Kimery] “That sword swings both ways in here.”
Absolutely.
When you have a sword swung AT you enough – it’s traditional to learn to parry and swing one right back.
If somebody “jumps the topic” of a thread away from a noted positive development in one software camp – in order merely to point out a “non-related balancing deficiency” in response – explain please why it suddenly becomes inappropriate for me to do the exact same thing?
I’ll wait.
Creator of XinTwo – https://www.xintwo.com
The shortest path to FCP X mastery. -
Bill Davis
January 22, 2017 at 12:19 am in reply to: 10.3.2 Is out – WOW review from a huge X facility in Europe.[Steve Connor] “Hope you enjoyed “The Roast of Bill Davis” :)”
Sounds lik a perfectly awful menu item!
This beefy dish is presented seriously overcooked in a simmering broth of hyperbole – with way too much spice – and a thick, all too developed semi teflon-like skin.
Order something else.
Seriously.
Creator of XinTwo – https://www.xintwo.com
The shortest path to FCP X mastery. -
Bill Davis
January 21, 2017 at 4:48 am in reply to: 10.3.2 Is out – WOW review from a huge X facility in Europe.[Andrew Kimery] “You both (Bill, Oliver) are a bit off the mark.”
I’ll take it!
So Premiere has been in the “movie business” since the Bandito Bros gig in 2005.
FCP X for just 5 years.
Begging the question why with a decade head start – Apple did it so much faster with X?
(Chuckling while shuffling off with my head down to avoid the lobbed rocks!)
See you all later. G’nite.
Creator of XinTwo – https://www.xintwo.com
The shortest path to FCP X mastery. -
Bill Davis
January 21, 2017 at 4:41 am in reply to: 10.3.2 Is out – WOW review from a huge X facility in Europe.[Michael Gissing] ” So join the debate, don’t fight it.”
The day these debates stay on topic, I’m all over that.
But you can’t tell me that when I post a link about an unquestionable improvement in X – and the responses consistently have nothing to add about that specific improvement beyond “yeah, but this OTHER thing still sucks….” we can talk.
Creator of XinTwo – https://www.xintwo.com
The shortest path to FCP X mastery. -
Bill Davis
January 21, 2017 at 4:33 am in reply to: 10.3.2 Is out – WOW review from a huge X facility in Europe.Fair enough and thanks for the info, Walter.
How do they handle the asset management stuff without something like Roles in operation? How does the Adobe ecosystem manage which clips are embedded in the projects? Is it this handled by the “panels” thing?
Creator of XinTwo – https://www.xintwo.com
The shortest path to FCP X mastery.