Bill Davis
Forum Replies Created
-
[andy patterson] “Premiere Pro CC can probably do just as much as FCPX. “
Wait. “Probably???”
From your posts explaining why X doesn’t cut the mustard, my presumption was that you must have extensive experience with its capabilities.
You come across very “sure” of your positions and with a god bit of insiders knowledge.
“A personal choice that Apple refuses to offer it’s users.”
“I am sure the Apple engineers have a Surface Studio in their office and are blown away with how fluid the interaction can be.”
“As of now FCPX does not have the customization that Premiere Pro offers.”
And
“Having said that I highly doubt the Apple engineers are saying the Surface Studio sucks ass but who knows for sure?”
(By the way, extra congrats on the last one – perfect modern era “campaign speak!”)
This one is my very favorite:
“You can find videos of people ditching their iPads for the Surface Pro.”
I’m absolutely sure you could show me those videos, just like I could show you just as many skewed to make my points. That’s the era we live in. I can easily find videos about bigfoot, gourmet recipes based entirely on Velveeta, and faith-based rap groups.
Videos are easy to source on literally anything from any point of view.
What I’m more interested in is credibility.
After the above quoted stuff, I’m interested in yours.
Care to enlighten me on any credentials you hold that makes your comments about X operations worthy of weight?
This isn’t a hostile challenge so please don’t read it that way.
I’m honestly interested in what informs your perspective.
That very first quote above was kinda out of character compared to the rest.
Just trying to understand who I’m sparing with here.
If you want my credentials, they are all over my years of posts here. I’m kind of an open book in that regard.
????
Creator of XinTwo – https://www.xintwo.com
The shortest path to FCP X mastery. -
Bill Davis
January 21, 2017 at 3:29 am in reply to: 10.3.2 Is out – WOW review from a huge X facility in Europe.[Michael Gissing] “That’s truly perplexing”
Dude, it’s my brand around here. Has been for the past 6 years or so.
This forum started with an almost unified chorous of “Apple has massively screwed up the entire universe of editing forever.”
I was often the lone (or at least a highly prominent member of a TINY minority saying ” hold on, there’s something kinda cool going on here.”
Against a wave of voices going “it’s ALL crap. – I felt one small voice saying it’s ALL good was fair.
I learned that trying to be balanced” only works when the other point of view is equally balanced. It NEVER was. And it’s still not.
Plenty of evidence in THIS precise thread that just saying anything positive about X still results in a mighty backlash about all its flaws.
Imagine if after I posted the thread starter – the only response had been “cool, glad they made your NLE faster today.” FULL STOP.
Never going to happen here. So I feel my voice is still valuable.
????
Creator of XinTwo – https://www.xintwo.com
The shortest path to FCP X mastery. -
Bill Davis
January 21, 2017 at 3:15 am in reply to: 10.3.2 Is out – WOW review from a huge X facility in Europe.[Walter Soyka] “Adobe Stock is nicely integrated with the Creative Cloud applications. “
Which is wonderful if you want to source everything from that one service.
My clients tend to cast a much wider net for the right image.
Also do I recall reading that considering the Photographer does all the work to create the Intellectual Property in the form of a great image, and uploads it to Adobe Stock, Adobe keeps significantly more than 50% of the license fee?
Can that be right?
Seems kinda lopsided, but maybe I misunderstood the terms.
If so I’m sure somebody will correct me pronto.
Creator of XinTwo – https://www.xintwo.com
The shortest path to FCP X mastery. -
Bill Davis
January 21, 2017 at 3:07 am in reply to: 10.3.2 Is out – WOW review from a huge X facility in Europe.[Michael Gissing] “Just accept that some of us have perfectly reasonable things to still debate about X.”
Michael. Nobody will ever stop you from using the same workflow that you’ve been using for so long.
It just baffles me why so many of you guys are so hostile towards those of us trying to find faster and more efficient ways to do those traditional things.
Again, NOBODY is taking away your workflow.
Why are you so hostile to ours? If you can’t make a magnetic workflow do what you need – DONT USE IT. If I can, don’t tell me I shouldn’t or that I’m wrong.
Again, all I did was post a message from one professional facility manager in Europe that I know about how new FCP X update rocks for his team.
Nobody’s going to come to your shop with a baseball bat and make you cut on X. Really. If any place you ever work in the future demands that, you’ll have the same choice you’ve always had when a change comes along. Adapt or move on.
This is really not that scary or difficult.
Creator of XinTwo – https://www.xintwo.com
The shortest path to FCP X mastery. -
Bill Davis
January 21, 2017 at 2:54 am in reply to: 10.3.2 Is out – WOW review from a huge X facility in Europe.[Oliver Peters] “Your contention was that it took Premiere a long time to be ready for long-form, yet in the examples cited, “Gone Girl” and “Focus”, it was the film that was using Premiere that was in post ahead of the one using FCPX.
“Well, just to be contentious, Randy U created Premiere YEARS before he created FCP X.
So the original statement is accurate in that case.
Also Adobe did the big Premiere Pro reboot years ahead of the FCP legacy to X reboot.
So the Premiere team had way more development time there as well.
It’s only if you start BOTH teams clocks from the FCP X reboot that you could fairly argue that Premiere Pro beat FCP X into theatres.
I think that’s splitting quite a few hairs along the way.
FWIW.
Creator of XinTwo – https://www.xintwo.com
The shortest path to FCP X mastery. -
[andy patterson] “As of now FCPX does not have the customization that Premiere Pro offers. “
That’s a massively broad claim.
Could you explain the assertion please?Creator of XinTwo – https://www.xintwo.com
The shortest path to FCP X mastery. -
[Herb Sevush] “I was not the one who made you look bad, Mads was, when he gave you half the quote he gave to another interviewer. I apologize for my misreading of the situation.”
Uh, NOPE.
Mads did NOTHING but post his delight in the new performance of X.
I quoted him accurately.
That you jumped to an erroneous conclusion based on something he revised and posted elsewhere isn’t on him or on me.
Period.
That said, I can see why you mistook what he wrote elsewhere that included his original text sent to me essentially verbatim as the thing I was quoting. Perhaps a fine lesson in the dangers of today’s READY-FIRE-AIM discourse?
Apology accepted.
Let’s move on.
Creator of XinTwo – https://www.xintwo.com
The shortest path to FCP X mastery. -
Bill Davis
January 21, 2017 at 2:27 am in reply to: 10.3.2 Is out – WOW review from a huge X facility in Europe.But Herb, what I have keeps getting better and better and better.
And that makes my work easier and easier and easier.
Why the hell would I want to give that up?
For example, I have a minor project in house where I have a bunch of stock photos embedded in an art directors design. We sourced the images from at least 5 stock sources like Getty, and iStock, etc.
I set up sub-roles for each image source. That lets me highlight each vendors clips with a click. Better than that, in the timeline index, I can sort by those subRoles and group/sort by vendor or clip ID. These small projects often take weeks to get client feedback about – so whenever I get back to it, I know that my “micro database” of image source information lives right inside my project. On “go ahead”, it’s way easier now to use the image ID info embedded in the clips to source the non watermarked finals and replace them in the projects Compound clips.
Just a tiny type of convenience Roles is enabling for me as I learn new ways to use it.
I just can’t fathom why I’d want to jettison these very efficient new workflows to move away from X.
Maybe AVID and Premiere Pro let you “reach into” your timelines and identify assets by metadata class like this, I don’t know. All I know is I’m finding it super useful and efficient.
FWIW.
Creator of XinTwo – https://www.xintwo.com
The shortest path to FCP X mastery. -
Yeah, well X has drills too.
So what?
I can do that bottle and label probably just as easily a Graphics Converter as Photoshop and toss it in Track X to integrate it into the scene directly in X too.
This is stupid.
First you accuse me of “selective quoting” when I did no such thing, and now you want to imply what I somehow can’t do in X things I do perfectly well all the time.
I’ve got work to do.
I posted this not to piss you off, Herb, but because I felt it was RELEVENT to this group.
Sometimes I wonder why I even bother anymore.
Creator of XinTwo – https://www.xintwo.com
The shortest path to FCP X mastery. -
Bill Davis
January 20, 2017 at 7:59 pm in reply to: 10.3.2 Is out – WOW review from a huge X facility in Europe.See my other post.
That FCP.co story didn’t exist when I made the original post you are alluding to.
I get that your preconception is that I’m happy to try to deceive people via selective quoting. But you are flat out wrong about that here.
I pulled the quote I posted here directly from Mads private communication. NOT the FCP.co story you imagined it came from.
Simple as that.
Creator of XinTwo – https://www.xintwo.com
The shortest path to FCP X mastery.