Forum Replies Created

Page 109 of 605
  • [Oliver Peters] “More so than with either Premiere or Media Composer”

    Well sure.

    Traditional track based systems map to other traditional track based systems easier than a Roles based system can..

    I would have thought that was kinda obvious.

    The point of X breaking away from that was to add fundamental new capabilities into the mix that a track based system was never designed to allow?

    Creator of XinTwo – https://www.xintwo.com
    The shortest path to FCP X mastery.

  • [Andrew Kimery] “I suspect part of Herb’s snark is in that you purposefully left off Mads last line about the performance improvement in the timeline “

    It’s not a conspiracy guys.

    Mads posted his Original opinion it in a slightly different form in a private group.
    Our standard there is we never quote the discussions elsewhere without specific pernissiin.

    I asked for and got that permission from him and quoted only a part of his original longer post. After words, he realized that others might be interested and adapted what I had originally seen in private – as a more public post – it went to Peters site – which is what you are now referring to.

    That didn’t exist in that form when I made my initial post.

    Simple as that.

    Creator of XinTwo – https://www.xintwo.com
    The shortest path to FCP X mastery.

  • Bill Davis

    January 20, 2017 at 7:36 pm in reply to: Something else to debate!

    Andrew has this right.

    It’s a variation on my old … “when the tool you have is a hammer – your problems start to look like nails” thing.

    Perfectly reasonable to reach for the tool you know how to best use whatever it is.

    For me I’m still trying to ween completely away from the fishhook subscription thing, so I’m trying to move to lighter and less costly tools. Affinity and Pixelmator among them. (If only I could find more time to play with new stuff. Oh well.)

    That said, I’ve maybe used Photoshop 3 times in the past year. I tend to use get multilayer files from the designer as PDFs and my first stop is to use Automator to deconstruct the packages and just bring the layers into X for re-assembly. I actually tend to use Graphics Converter more for resizing and repair and cleanup these days than Photoshop.

    In the end, we all have our own mix of what’s comfortable.

    Viva difference!

    Creator of XinTwo – https://www.xintwo.com
    The shortest path to FCP X mastery.

  • Bill Davis

    January 20, 2017 at 7:19 pm in reply to: Something else to debate!

    Oh heck, I do that stuff all the time.
    I just clone the shot, crop it to a neutral area or similar part of the existing frame and and slide that over the unwanted content as a quick mask.

    Because everything in X is just a reference to the core footage, that type of layering is no big deal.

    I find no need to go out to a program built to work with a higher resolution raster – when all I need to do is repair the one I’m working with. I find it easier to clone “like onto like.”

    Quick, simple and effective.

    Creator of XinTwo – https://www.xintwo.com
    The shortest path to FCP X mastery.

  • Bill Davis

    January 20, 2017 at 5:08 pm in reply to: Something else to debate!

    Fair questions, Herb.

    The primary tool I use that makes me less dependent on Photoshop is called “a designer” (teasing) – seriously, I seldom do that type of work myself. I do constantly get graphic designs form artists (typically west coast folk) and use the type and graphics tools in X to re-create their designs directly in the program so I have editorial control for changes. Using X’s built in keening, leding, and similar tools to match pro designs to my video raster is something I do reasonably often. It’s consistent with my preference not to have to leave the program as my deadlines approach.

    Similar to my use of Motion. I mostly commission motion graphics, but I am dabbling more and more. Motions basic linkage in publishing generators and effects directly into my storylines with customizable parameters accessible in the editorial space is a good approach for what I need.

    As to audio, for the way I work, X is heaven. Remember I started as a radio guy and narrator by trade. Audio production was my first career. The Logic stuff built into X is awesome. So is the direct VO tool. I realize that many other editors can’t control their raw materials in the same fashion I can, and if I was in that place with “iffy” sound arriving daily, I’d probably use the external tools you mention. But that’s not my reality.

    FWIW.

    Creator of XinTwo – https://www.xintwo.com
    The shortest path to FCP X mastery.

  • This deserves a response.

    I’ve known Mads and Ryan Velin since NAB last year.

    They have successfully deployed X on shows that Metronome produces. Hour long episodic shows , even COOKING shows (imagine that!) – the very type of shows you have long opined that X wasn’t capable enough to do.

    Well some years back, instead of imagining how a thing “might” work – they actually investigated it, analyzed it, selected it, and then made it work. Delivered series to air with it effectively and now are delighted to find that something big changed yesterday to make it work even better.

    Sorry that wasn’t news about anything you use. But it wasn’t.

    It was news for those of us who use FCP X. Which is why I posted it here – in the forum about FCP X.

    So trying to spin this as “now it finally works” is unadulterated BS and a bit “sour grapy” IMO

    And I suspect that deep down, you know that Herb.

    FWIW.

    Creator of XinTwo – https://www.xintwo.com
    The shortest path to FCP X mastery.

  • Sure.

    Apple needs to keep their sights firmly on re-creating ALL the old tools and conventions so that they can concentrate on giving everyone what they are USED TO!

    Cuz, you know, all the different stuff like range selected keywording, magnetism, the skimmer, and roles – all that stuff is silly when the development team COULD spend their time adding back ALL the traditional stuff older editors have had for years, (even when, as I was describing, it’s less relevant in the style of editing X excels at.)

    No reason to spend time trying to move forward here.

    The old ways are always the BEST ways.

    Heck, I was trained in the 1980s to edit by cutting mylar tape with a razor blade.

    It was SO tactile and SO obvious…. HEY! Wait just a second… I’ve got it! X should figure out how to turn the Touch Bar into a virtual Splicing Block complete with virtual 45 and 90 degree “cuts”!!!

    That would be, like… sick.

    ; )

    (I’m truly teasing. There’s nothing wrong with sync indicators, of course. And it’s a perfectly understandable capability that many editors would appreciate. And who knows, maybe they will eventually make their way into X. Its just that NOT waiting for traditional stuff like that is likely why the X team has managed to keep the innovation flowing with stuff like the deep Roles re-build in 10.3.

    And THATs where I want the X developers to keep their focus. That saves DAYS potentially. While sync slip indicators save, at best seconds occasionally. FWIW.

    Creator of XinTwo – https://www.xintwo.com
    The shortest path to FCP X mastery.

  • Bill Davis

    January 20, 2017 at 2:12 am in reply to: Market Rate for an Editing Project

    This is the perfect place to adapt that old “mechanics” poster from the garage for your client:

    $1000 if I do it.
    $2000 if you watch.
    $5000 if you help.

    ; )

    Creator of XinTwo – https://www.xintwo.com
    The shortest path to FCP X mastery.

  • Enough people must have disliked the change.

    10.2.3 (out today) returns to the original behavior.

    And so it goes!

    Creator of XinTwo – https://www.xintwo.com
    The shortest path to FCP X mastery.

  • Bill Davis

    January 20, 2017 at 1:54 am in reply to: Lord Snowdon, RIP

    Bit easier to get models, I suspect, when you have a royal title…

    “Madam, his Lordship finds your visage appealing and was wondering if you’d be amenable to dropping by the palace to sit for a photographic portrait – at your convenience of course?”

    Kinda beats trolling bars with a DSLR!

    (just teasing – he did seam to have a fine eye for light from what I remember of his work.)

    Creator of XinTwo – https://www.xintwo.com
    The shortest path to FCP X mastery.

Page 109 of 605

We use anonymous cookies to give you the best experience we can.
Our Privacy policy | GDPR Policy