Bill Davis
Forum Replies Created
-
I’ve spent literally decades looking at the many qualities of light.
There’s no research needed to FEEL the difference that happens when I switch my bedside light from cold to warm on the glide slope into night – anymore than someone can tell me that changing the color balance on a photograph or shot doesn’t effect the way I emotionally perceive the scene.
Color grading EXISTS for a reason, after all.
My 2 cents.
Creator of XinTwo – https://www.xintwo.com
The shortest path to FCP X mastery. -
Understood. Thanks for the clarification.
Creator of XinTwo – https://www.xintwo.com
The shortest path to FCP X mastery. -
No question this will result in content lord grade screw ups for the uninformed.
That said I have the color shift set on my Phone my iPad and the current bedside lamp my wife picked up for me at Costco during a minor bedroom re-model – does the same nighttime color shift.
I’ve found it makes a major difference to my sleep patterns when I’m not bathed in daylight spectrum when web browsing or reading late into the night.
Certainly NOT for doing any color judging. But a very welcome adaptation of practical modern scientific research overall.
My 2 cents.
Creator of XinTwo – https://www.xintwo.com
The shortest path to FCP X mastery. -
Not surprised I miss-remembered that step.
What blew me away at the time was that the native algorithm in X was good enough to do the ultimate storyline to master without the need to go out of house.
(A radical idea back in an era where the default expectation was that you had to toss expensive and sophisticated hardware into the signal chain for ALL transcode broadcast deliveries.)Changed my thinking at the time.
Thanks for the clarification.
Creator of XinTwo – https://www.xintwo.com
The shortest path to FCP X mastery. -
[Oliver Peters] “A lot of folks here taught the advantages of owning (Apple) versus renting (Adobe); yet from an accounting standpoint, if you are a small production company up to a large enterprise, renting/subscription makes more sense.”
Interested in your thinking here.
Is there a small business or bulk rate in play? Outside that, $20 a month (single App subscription) seems like it crosses over the $300 cash price of X per seat in just 15 months regardless of how many seats you are seeding.
After that, no matter how you slice it you’re paying more to edit.
One can surely deduct subscription fees from their taxes, but just as easily deduct the price of X – so I’m missing the thinking behind the advantage.
Can you help me understand it better?
Creator of XinTwo – https://www.xintwo.com
The shortest path to FCP X mastery. -
Ageed,
But this was curious to me:
“If you were running the Adobe suite on a top-level PC with high-end Nvidia cards, performance would definitely shine over that of the Macs.”
Followed later by:
“On a recent on-site edit gig at CES, I had to cut some 4K ARRI ALEXA material on my two-year-old Retina MacBook Pro. Premiere Pro couldn’t hack it without stuttering playback, while FCPX was buttery smooth. Thus FCPX was the axe for me throughout this gig.”
I was kinda hoping that what would follow that paragraph was examples of where the Adobe suite approach “running on a top-level PD with high-end Nvidia cards,…” would “definitely shine over” what the Macs could produce – but you moved directly to the hardware debates and never articulated which aspects of Premiere Pro running on top hardware were superior in your experience.
Can you be a bit more specific about that?
If somebody spends the money for a fully tricked out system on the PC side (what the hardware fanboys are trumpeting these days!) where can they expect the biggest real-world editing performance gains to show up?
And with your experience in both systems, are the gains marginal, or significant? Thanks.
Also thanks for another well-written and well-considered article!
Creator of XinTwo – https://www.xintwo.com
The shortest path to FCP X mastery. -
Accidental double post.
-
Bill Davis
January 27, 2017 at 4:13 pm in reply to: 10.3.2 Is out – WOW review from a huge X facility in Europe.Thanks for the clarification, Oliver.
Creator of XinTwo – https://www.xintwo.com
The shortest path to FCP X mastery. -
[Steve Connor] “Did I imagine it or did you have a line about “his karma clashing with your dogma”?
Really liked it, was going to steal it”
There is a great kernel of truth hidden somewhere in there.
Perhaps – “If Dogma catches Karma – what then?”
????
Creator of XinTwo – https://www.xintwo.com
The shortest path to FCP X mastery. -
[Oliver Peters] ” The point of the Teranex units is high-quality upscaling, not 1:1 capture. If you have SD and want it in 1080, 2K, etc. the Teranex will give you superior results.”
OK, I’m willing to believe this.
However, I wish somebody would post real world captures or other observable examples of HOW MUCH improvement is gained by spending the big bucks on these processes.
I can understand that if you have a noisy VHS tape, a smart algorithm should make a difference. But if you have a CLEAN VHS tape, is the benefit as much? Half as much? 5% better?
Basically, whats the point where spending the money on an outside service makes a visible difference?
At what point does interpolating the 640×480 pixel raster onto a 2k signal via A verses B make any actual visible difference? That’s what I want somebody to test. So far, I can’t find that out – no matter how much I try.
Oh well.
Creator of XinTwo – https://www.xintwo.com
The shortest path to FCP X mastery.