Forum Replies Created
-
FCP may not work at all on that Mac. Apple lists a 1.25GHz processor as minimum.
Arnie
Post production is not an afterthought!
https://www.arniepix.com/ -
Arnie Schlissel
December 30, 2008 at 10:51 pm in reply to: 23.98 footage in FCP w/ timecode generatorYou can use the TC reader on a piece of slug for this, instead. Place a piece of slug over your timeline, use the crop tool to remove most of the top & sides, then use the TC reader on the slug. It should give you frame accurate TC from the first frame of the slug. You can adjust the starting hour in the controls for the TC reader.
Arnie
Post production is not an afterthought!
https://www.arniepix.com/ -
Arnie Schlissel
December 30, 2008 at 2:41 am in reply to: Do you think Apple will ever update FCP’s UI?[david bogie] “But the graphical presentation isn’t the problem so much as the design of the UI and the total lack of common interface elements among the suite’s applications.”
I agree. Adobe has done a lot to unify their UI across all of their apps. When you bounce from Illustrator to Photoshop to AE, there are a lot of common elements. The little tear off pallets, the browser windows all work the same between them.
FCP, Motion, DVDSP, Color, Shake all have very different UIs, because they originated in different shops from different programming teams. I suspect it’s a lot of work, but it wouldn’t hurt for Apple to unify the common elements & functions.
Arnie
Post production is not an afterthought!
https://www.arniepix.com/ -
Those industry terms are “rotoscoping” and “Travel Matte”. What you want to do is rotoscope around an object to create a travel matte. The travel matte is used to isolate one object (or more) from the shot so that you can apply a filter only to what’s been rotoscoped, or hold it out from being filtered.
You can do this in Motion, but Shake and Silhouette Roto have better tools for this.
Arnie
Post production is not an afterthought!
https://www.arniepix.com/ -
Arnie Schlissel
December 29, 2008 at 4:34 pm in reply to: Economical way to copy DVCPRO HD to a drive?I’m not sure, but you may need FCP to get the DVCPro HD codec. Check on Panasonic’s web site.
Arnie
Post production is not an afterthought!
https://www.arniepix.com/ -
The easiest (and best) way to do this is to open the original project file in Flash & make changes there.
Trying to re-edit any finished piece- Flash, DVD, Beta, etc., in any NLE- FCP, Avid Premier, etc., will always be a compromise at best. And more likely an unsatisfying hack.
“No, I can’t change that title. We need to cover it up or cut it out & make a new one.”
“No I can’t make that shot longer.”
“No, I can’t change (or remove) that dissolve.”
Arnie
Post production is not an afterthought!
https://www.arniepix.com/ -
The highly technical, industry term for this is “split screen”.
As suggested by others, the crop tool or DH Box is your best bet.
Arnie
Post production is not an afterthought!
https://www.arniepix.com/ -
Arnie Schlissel
December 26, 2008 at 5:42 pm in reply to: Economical way to copy DVCPRO HD to a drive?[David Wright] “I asked the original question as I travel to remote locations and need to manage footage in the field and send it back. Ideally I would like to go firewire out from the camera to a laptop (running FCP or alternative), capture the footage, add metadata and export QT movies as requested by the library. “
David, that’s a little different than your original post. Take a look at Scopebox and Veescope. Both have direct capture options. I don’t know about what kind of metadata they can add.
Arnie
Post production is not an afterthought!
https://www.arniepix.com/ -
Arnie Schlissel
December 26, 2008 at 3:28 am in reply to: Do you think Apple will ever update FCP’s UI?I would hate to see a single window UI. I grew up on multiple window UIs in my software, and love being able to spread the windows across 2 monitors to suit my tastes. If anything, I could name programs like Shake that use a single window that I’d like to see using multiple windows.
Arnie
Post production is not an afterthought!
https://www.arniepix.com/ -
Arnie Schlissel
December 24, 2008 at 8:50 pm in reply to: Economical way to copy DVCPRO HD to a drive?First off, FCP is not really all that expensive. Especially when you consider what’s included. Especially when you factor in the cost of a deck.
If you use an AJA capture card, you can use their VTR Xchange. But you’ll have no efficient way to sort and organize your clips.
If you have an Intel Mac, you can use Premier for $800.
Arnie
Post production is not an afterthought!
https://www.arniepix.com/