Forum Replies Created

Page 380 of 494
  • Adam Trachtenberg

    March 20, 2009 at 3:31 pm in reply to: Rendering only the reflections, no floor

    Enable the reflection pass in the render>multipass settings and specify a file name/location. Then give your floor a compositing tag and enable an object buffer. Finally, add an object buffer pass in the multipass settings. The object buffer is just an alpha for the floor.

    That will allow you to knock out the rendered floor and replace it with just the reflection.

  • Adam Trachtenberg

    March 19, 2009 at 3:50 pm in reply to: baking GI and AO to animated objects

    It depends a little on the particulars of your scene. You wouldn’t want to bake shadows and illumination unless the lights are moving with your object. You could bake AO, but you should set it to self-shadowing only if the objects will be changing position relative to other parts of the scene that could affect AO (for example, moving up and down relative to the floor).

  • Adam Trachtenberg

    March 19, 2009 at 2:13 pm in reply to: baking GI and AO to animated objects

    You can of course use the regular baking tools, but as far as I know there’s no provision for baking animated texture maps.

  • Adam Trachtenberg

    March 18, 2009 at 9:45 pm in reply to: Creating a desert strategy?

    There are many ways you could go about it. Rendering at 1080P I would tend to stay away from GI illumination. For the ground I’d use several landscape primitives and a bump material to simulate dunes. I’d use the Sky object to create the atmosphere (sun, fog, stars), but personally I’d avoid it’s 2D clouds which are kind of cheezy. If you need more control over the stars use some lights with flare option enabled.

  • Adam Trachtenberg

    March 18, 2009 at 6:58 pm in reply to: Hair and global illumination

    I think you have to set the hair render effect to use raytracing rather than raster in order for GI to be taken into account. That will slow the rendering down consirably, so unless you’re doing a still you’ll probably want to use lights to illuminate the hair. You can restrict them to the hair object if you don’t want them to mess with the GI lighting.

  • Adam Trachtenberg

    March 17, 2009 at 5:41 pm in reply to: Jumpy nulls

    What happens is that, when you place an object inside a null, you are essentially putting it into the null’s universe, so if the null is offset from the origin and you put an already-animated object into it, then the child is offset as well. I can’t tell you why that doesn’t happen with non-animated objects … but I’m glad it doesn’t. 🙂

    Instead of placing the object inside your null, give your object a constraint tag (character>constraint), set it to parent mode, and reference the null as parent.

  • Adam Trachtenberg

    March 17, 2009 at 5:10 pm in reply to: Anim2Dynamics, again

    I don’t know the answer, but as a general rule when dealing with Xpresso and rotation you have to convert degrees to radians … if that’s any help at all….

  • Adam Trachtenberg

    March 17, 2009 at 4:43 pm in reply to: Wispy Smoke w/ Pyrocluster

    You might start with the steam preset and tweak the settings from there.

  • Adam Trachtenberg

    March 16, 2009 at 6:11 pm in reply to: Cinema 4d Books for learning

    I can recommend Cinema 4D Workshop by Arndt von Koenigsmarck. I haven’t yet read the R10 version of the Cinema 4D Handbook, but an earlier version that I have was a good introductory book.

  • Adam Trachtenberg

    March 12, 2009 at 9:56 pm in reply to: View OBJ in c4d problem

    Yep. Set your viewport camera to default and see how big the model is in relation to the grid. If it’s very tiny or very huge you can have these kinds of problems.

    FYI, you can change the default import/export scale for .obj files in preferences.

Page 380 of 494

We use anonymous cookies to give you the best experience we can.
Our Privacy policy | GDPR Policy