Forum Replies Created

Page 1371 of 1462
  • Are you watching this on a computer screen? That’s normal due to interlacing. If you see this on an external monitor watching off a DVD player, then there’s a problem.

    If the DVD is ONLY going to playback on computers, then you need to apply a De-Interlace filter to the video before you compress it.

    Walter Biscardi, Jr.
    Creative Genius, Biscardi Creative Media
    https://www.biscardicreative.com

    Now in Production, “The Rough Cut,” https://www.theroughcutmovie.com

    “I reject your reality and substitute my own!” – Adam Savage, Mythbusters

  • Walter Biscardi

    July 25, 2005 at 6:19 pm in reply to: maximum file size limit fcp/quicktime??

    FYI Jeff, feel free to email me or call me directly if you want to discuss this process at all. I went through about 5 months of testing and trials before we finally came up with a working solution to this very workflow.

    All my contact info is on my website.

    Walter Biscardi, Jr.
    Creative Genius, Biscardi Creative Media
    https://www.biscardicreative.com

    Now in Production, “The Rough Cut,” https://www.theroughcutmovie.com

    “I reject your reality and substitute my own!” – Adam Savage, Mythbusters

  • Walter Biscardi

    July 25, 2005 at 6:18 pm in reply to: Is it worth it to Upgrade a G4 to run Motion

    [Jay Kinghorn] “Regarding what card to get – the 256 MB NVidia 6800 Ultra seems to blast through most Motion projects nicely.”

    The only downside is the loss of the a slot in the G5. I’ve just replaced my Ultra 6800 with an ATI x800XT to regain that slot.

    Walter Biscardi, Jr.
    Creative Genius, Biscardi Creative Media
    https://www.biscardicreative.com

    Now in Production, “The Rough Cut,” https://www.theroughcutmovie.com

    “I reject your reality and substitute my own!” – Adam Savage, Mythbusters

  • Walter Biscardi

    July 25, 2005 at 6:17 pm in reply to: G-Raid no good for DVCPRO HD?

    [CharlieX] “That’s a pretty good drive. I have one myself that gets used daily, and for 10bit Uncompressed it’s been a far more economical solution than trying to add more storage to my SCSI JBOB.”

    I wouldn’t recommend this drive for 10bit uncompressed work. Only one stream with limited RT on FCP really slows down the workflow. 8bit is fine, but 10bit you really want a fast array such as Fibre Channel or SATA.

    Walter Biscardi, Jr.
    Creative Genius, Biscardi Creative Media
    https://www.biscardicreative.com

    Now in Production, “The Rough Cut,” https://www.theroughcutmovie.com

    “I reject your reality and substitute my own!” – Adam Savage, Mythbusters

  • Walter Biscardi

    July 25, 2005 at 5:15 pm in reply to: FCP5.02 capturing wrong frame size?

    Are you using an Easy Setup for DVCPro HD? I haven’t seen that issue here in captures from my 1200A

    Walter Biscardi, Jr.
    Creative Genius, Biscardi Creative Media
    https://www.biscardicreative.com

    Now in Production, “The Rough Cut,” https://www.theroughcutmovie.com

    “I reject your reality and substitute my own!” – Adam Savage, Mythbusters

  • Walter Biscardi

    July 25, 2005 at 5:06 pm in reply to: maximum file size limit fcp/quicktime??

    Ok, well then the best thing for you to do is to find a post house with FCP and a D5 deck. Any 500GB+ drive will work for the quicktime export, especially if the post house has a Fibre Channel drive for you to transfer to.

    As for editing from a non-drop timeline to to the drop frame 1080i master, what will happen is that the Terranex will drop the first field and that’s it. I’ve actually done this exact process with 720 / 59.94 timeline and editing directly to an HDCAM via the Terranex. All it did was to drop the first field.

    Be sure to do this edit with FCP 5 to ensure frame accuracy, FCP 4.5 will slip a few frames backwards or forwards with each edit to tape. Also note that the Terranex will cause the audio to advance by one frame during the 720p conversion. We have not gotten answer as to why the Terranex does this, but it’s only on 720p conversions that this audio / video sync issue comes up. So you may have to offset your audio track back by one frame.

    Just FYI, I’ve actually built a fully mobile FCP / Uncompressed HD system that packs up into road cases so when I need to master out to D5 or HDCAM, I simply take the system to a facility here in town and master right out of my system. Works extremely well and the system lives permanently in the cases so even when it’s here in the shop, it’s working.

    Walter Biscardi, Jr.
    Creative Genius, Biscardi Creative Media
    https://www.biscardicreative.com

    Now in Production, “The Rough Cut,” https://www.theroughcutmovie.com

    “I reject your reality and substitute my own!” – Adam Savage, Mythbusters

  • Walter Biscardi

    July 25, 2005 at 4:50 pm in reply to: G-Raid no good for DVCPRO HD?

    [Eli Mavros] “I want to clarify: My company has medea scsii raids too, but we bought the G-raid (and I cannot explain why exactly) so that we could capture on set with a laptop. Anyhow, I have been trying to run DVCPRO HD from the drive thru the FW800 and am getting tons of hiccups and freeze frames. The box claims that DVCPRO HD is no problem for the drive. I have also run the AJA disk speed tests on the drive and for DVCPROHD 720p60, I am getting write speeds of 43.9 mb/s and read speeds of 70.5 mb/s…I compared these to Walter’s speed tests in his review and they seem to be comparable, if not slightly better. So why am I having these issues? Any suggestions Walter?”

    You cannot capture DVCPro HD reliably on a laptop. Apple does not recommend capture of DV100 via a laptop. The only people who seem to recommend this is Panasonic. In fact, if you capture DVCPro HD directly to a laptop, you’ll notice the quality is reduced.

    As for editing DVCPro HD on a laptop with the G-RAID, I really don’t know why you’re having problems. I’m cutting my own independent film which was shot on the Varicam and I’m not getting any dropped frame issues. All footage was captured via Firewire to the G-RAID via a G5. Sometimes I cut on my Powerbook and sometimes I cut on my G5 and either way, I don’t get dropped frames on the project.

    Keep in mind you won’t get two streams of DVCPro HD with a laptop, you need a dual G5 to get that.

    Walter Biscardi, Jr.
    Creative Genius, Biscardi Creative Media
    https://www.biscardicreative.com

    Now in Production, “The Rough Cut,” https://www.theroughcutmovie.com

    “I reject your reality and substitute my own!” – Adam Savage, Mythbusters

  • Walter Biscardi

    July 25, 2005 at 4:45 pm in reply to: maximum file size limit fcp/quicktime??

    [Jeffrey Herzog] “I’ve got a G5, Kona HD card, and xserve raid. We’re working in 720p59.94 uncompressed from varicam origination source material.

    I’ve got a finished show with audio, color correct, etc, sitting on my system, that I need to master to D5. Easiest/cheapest way to do this I think will be to transfer the show to a post house with an uncompressed FCP system and a D5 machine.”

    Ok, I’m a little confused here. You say you’re working in 720p / 59.94 uncompressed from varicam origination material and then you say you need to go to a post house with an uncompressed system? Do you mean you’re working with native DVCPro HD codec and now want to master to D5?

    That’s easy, just rent a D5 deck and output via HD-SDI from your Kona 2. No need to export a movie as it will probably look better going straight out to HD-SDI.

    Walter Biscardi, Jr.
    Creative Genius, Biscardi Creative Media
    https://www.biscardicreative.com

    Now in Production, “The Rough Cut,” https://www.theroughcutmovie.com

    “I reject your reality and substitute my own!” – Adam Savage, Mythbusters

  • Walter Biscardi

    July 25, 2005 at 4:41 pm in reply to: G-Raid no good for DVCPRO HD?

    [Vincent Rice] “My statement is fact. FW400 (the digital transfer protocol) is perfectly capable of handling 2 streams of DVC copmressed HD @ 100Mbs. Whether it works in a real situation is entirely dependent on what drives are on one end and what computer is on the other. Personally I use a SATA array.”

    In theory and maybe based on a “disk speed test” it might appear that way, but in reality, I would not bank on it working with any regularity. Using FW400 for DVCPro HD would certainly not be a recommended setup for any serious daily work. If you’re just offlining a project, then maybe, but if you really want to edit with DVCPro HD, FW400 would never be my recommendation.

    Walter Biscardi, Jr.
    Creative Genius, Biscardi Creative Media
    https://www.biscardicreative.com

    Now in Production, “The Rough Cut,” https://www.theroughcutmovie.com

    “I reject your reality and substitute my own!” – Adam Savage, Mythbusters

  • Walter Biscardi

    July 25, 2005 at 4:10 pm in reply to: G-Raid no good for DVCPRO HD?

    [Mitch Ives] “I’m going to have to agree here. What surprises me is the flood of people who seem to want to go with minimum config’s on arrays all of a sudden. While some people may have gotten a two drive system to work, I ask why? Why not get a faster four drive system? The new 1TB G-raid cost more than my four drive 1 TB SATA array, and my SATA array runs circles around the G-raid.”

    Yep, I’ll agree there with more speed with the better configs. I have a Medea FCR2X which is worth every penny spent on it. If you’re a professional earning money with your system, then you really should invest in the highest performing product.

    FW400 should not be used for anything but regular DV, period. And even there, you’re giving up a lot of RT performance with FCP.

    Walter Biscardi, Jr.
    Creative Genius, Biscardi Creative Media
    https://www.biscardicreative.com

    Now in Production, “The Rough Cut,” https://www.theroughcutmovie.com

    “I reject your reality and substitute my own!” – Adam Savage, Mythbusters

Page 1371 of 1462

We use anonymous cookies to give you the best experience we can.
Our Privacy policy | GDPR Policy