Forum Replies Created
-
[Mitch Ives] ”
Nice thread guys… very enlightening. I like your approach Walter…”Thanks Mitch! I’m hoping to write an article on our workflow and testing in the near future.
Walter Biscardi, Jr.
Creative Genius, Biscardi Creative Media
https://www.biscardicreative.comNow in Production, “The Rough Cut,” https://www.theroughcutmovie.com
“I reject your reality and substitute my own!” – Adam Savage, Mythbusters
-
Personally I love Medea. Ran the RTRX for a couple of years and recently upgraded to the FCR2X Fibre Channel. Had plenty of horsepower for uncompressed HD with the SCSI, just liked the flexbility of Fibre with an upcoming SAN solution.
FYI, I have an ATTO UL4D that’s been sitting in a cabinet for about 6 months or so and I’ll be happy to sell it to you cheap. Drop me an email or give me a call.
Walter Biscardi, Jr.
Creative Genius, Biscardi Creative Media
https://www.biscardicreative.comNow in Production, “The Rough Cut,” https://www.theroughcutmovie.com
“I reject your reality and substitute my own!” – Adam Savage, Mythbusters
-
[Timothy Allen] “DON’T DO IT! (Sorry to shout, but it’s important.)”
Yes it IS important especially since he said it would be a broadcast show. You have no protection other than to obtain a legit license to the run the music in the show. One option that I use sometimes is to have my composer write a knock off that’s close to the original, but different enough that it’s an original composition. That costs a LOT less than the original song and certainly less than the legal headaches.
Walter Biscardi, Jr.
Creative Genius, Biscardi Creative Media
https://www.biscardicreative.comNow in Production, “The Rough Cut,” https://www.theroughcutmovie.com
“I reject your reality and substitute my own!” – Adam Savage, Mythbusters
-
Walter Biscardi
August 8, 2005 at 11:55 am in reply to: My finished productions do not look “slick” or “polished” to me…or am I just sick of them when completed?Hi David,
For all of your questions there really is no answer as everything is predicated by the project you’re editing. There’s a cadence, a pattern, a “feel” to a project that will be different for just about everything you do. And as others have noted, rules are generally being re-written on almost a daily basis anymore.
For instance, jump cuts were completely frowned upon during my college days. Woe to the student who jumped in their work or even in my early network news days, jump cuts were really really really bad. Now you see them employed all the time and it’s just a look that works.
What I think sets projects apart as “polished” are three things. Clean, professional graphics treatment. Good audio mix. Clean, well color corrected video.
It’s the graphics treatment that really seems to make most of my clients especially happy and give them the feeling of “polished” pieces. I use animated backdrops, photoshop and after effects in combination with Final Cut Pro to really create a nice motion graphics package for each piece.
That graphics treatment also carries over to the digital compositing side of things too. Instead of simple box on box to show a split screen or video during a talking head, I’ll create frames in photoshop and matte the videos over the frames and then put the whole thing over an animated backdrop.
A good audio mix will always make your project stand out. And I don’t just mean in terms of levels, I mean in terms of music and sfx selection. Too often I’ll hear pieces where not only does the music compete with the voice track, but the music choices are just all wrong for the message.
Good looking video is essential too. Final Cut Pro’s 3 Way Color Corrector is a very powerful tool that I’m using for a broadcast series and the coloring is just fantastic. Spend that extra time to really color correct your footage to make it the absolute best it can be. And remember, color correcting isn’t just for fixing footage, you can also color a film to get a particular style or look.
One of the things that has really caught on with my shop is helping producers and independent videographers get that “finished” look by simply finishing their projects here. They will edit the entire project in final cut pro at their location and then when it’s ready for graphics, coloring, etc… they just bring the harddrive here and we add whatever touches they want and then master it. They save money by cutting the project themselves and then I just enhance it a bit.
I know there is a book out there my Walter Murch who is one of the top film editors in the world so you could do a search on Amazon.com for it. Other than that, just have fun and always remember, if the client is really happy with your work, then you’re doing really well.
Walter Biscardi, Jr.
Creative Genius, Biscardi Creative Media
https://www.biscardicreative.comNow in Production, “The Rough Cut,” https://www.theroughcutmovie.com
“I reject your reality and substitute my own!” – Adam Savage, Mythbusters
-
I have 4GB and 3GB respectively of Crucial RAM installed on both of our G5 systems and FCP Studio installed without issue on both.
Walter Biscardi, Jr.
Creative Genius, Biscardi Creative Media
https://www.biscardicreative.comNow in Production, “The Rough Cut,” https://www.theroughcutmovie.com
“I reject your reality and substitute my own!” – Adam Savage, Mythbusters
-
You asked the same question in an identical thread down below. I think Chris gave you the answer you’re looking for.
Walter Biscardi, Jr.
Creative Genius, Biscardi Creative Media
https://www.biscardicreative.comNow in Production, “The Rough Cut,” https://www.theroughcutmovie.com
“I reject your reality and substitute my own!” – Adam Savage, Mythbusters
-
[Shane Ross] “Avid OMF? Not EDL? For some reason I have it stuck in my skull that OMF is for audio only…so you can OMF video too? I will have to test this.”
Yep, that’s how the Duck works. OMF-2 from AVID which allows all the video tracks to come through in one project, rather than a separate EDL for each video track. Even collapsed layers in AVID come through as a nested sequence in FCP. I’m really really impressed with how the Duck makes it an almost seamless transfer.
Walter Biscardi, Jr.
Creative Genius, Biscardi Creative Media
https://www.biscardicreative.comNow in Production, “The Rough Cut,” https://www.theroughcutmovie.com
“I reject your reality and substitute my own!” – Adam Savage, Mythbusters
-
[jdeditor] “DO you render the CC sequence that you captured via FIREWIRE to a Kona sequence setting?
or
Do you recapture or render the footage so you can output via HD-SDI through the Kona?”
I render the CC using a standard DVCPro HD Sequence setting and then we can either output via Firewire back to a 1200A for transfer to HDCAM or I can edit direct to HDCAM via HD-SDI out of the system.
Walter Biscardi, Jr.
Creative Genius, Biscardi Creative Media
https://www.biscardicreative.comNow in Production, “The Rough Cut,” https://www.theroughcutmovie.com
“I reject your reality and substitute my own!” – Adam Savage, Mythbusters
-
Hi JD,
I’m cutting a broadcast series myself which is cut for SD on an AVID and I’m onlining the show via FCP / Kona 2.
I get the AVID OMF from her SD edit. Use the Automatic Duck to bring the OMF into FCP. Recapture from 1200A via Firewire. Edit, add graphics and Color Correct in FCP via a DVCPro HD timeline. Master out to 1080i HDCAM.
It works very well, though we spent about 4 months testing the workflow and even put in a call to Ramy Katrib at Digital FilmTree and he was just a great sounding board.
Walter Biscardi, Jr.
Creative Genius, Biscardi Creative Media
https://www.biscardicreative.comNow in Production, “The Rough Cut,” https://www.theroughcutmovie.com
“I reject your reality and substitute my own!” – Adam Savage, Mythbusters
-
[Shane Ross] “You are using an OLD machine my friend. Dual 450? That is a 5+ year old machine. Very slow by todays standards.
And yes, you are very spoiled by the G5s are work.”
Yep, I’ll second that. Both FCP 4 and FCP 5 will run very slow on that machine and a single 1Ghz machine will probably be a little slower.
Walter Biscardi, Jr.
Creative Genius, Biscardi Creative Media
https://www.biscardicreative.comNow in Production, “The Rough Cut,” https://www.theroughcutmovie.com
“I reject your reality and substitute my own!” – Adam Savage, Mythbusters