Vince Becquiot
Forum Replies Created
-
Steven,
I’ve got to tell you, I exported a DV mov a while ago to my hardrive from a client and Premiere wasn’t happy with it. Pops on the audio track, and out of sync after a few minutes, both not present in FCP. I did have more success with the animation codec, but it could certainely be an issue on my side.
Vince
-
There currently are no batch export features in Premiere. Someone posted a link to a macro program that would allow it, but that only worked up to PP1.5
Vince
-
Premiere doesn’t support quicktime, unless they were exported from Premiere on a PC.
The cheapest, esiest way. Get a copy of Qquicktime pro. From there, you can convert the files to DV, or uncompressed AVI.
Vince
-
That may be the only to do it without buying expensive hardware, but…
You will however lose quality if you have altered your original footage in any way (other than straight cuts). Levels, color correction, resize, etc., as well as any sections with title overlays, will require a new compression. And if you have any graphics, things get worse.
I’m not sure what the latest version of FCP will support as far as format goes, but going from PC to Mac has become a much more difficult task ever since Automatic Duck went away.
Since I haven’t kept up with FCP, you can give this a shot. Export a small segment to an external HD to Quicktime Animation, 100% quality. That’s theoretically a lossless format, but there are differences between the Mac and PC version, so I’m sure what your limitations will be. Maybe someone can correct me here.
Vince
-
For a microphone in that price range, you can probably go for the cheapest retailer (well, as long as it doesn’t seem too good to be true, and watch for the tiny “refurbished” word ).
Google products would be a good start since they do have store ratings.
BTW, someone did a side by side recording for the SM58 and the XM8500. I wish he didn’t use Mp3, but you’ll get an idea of what they sound like on a good pair of headphones.
Cheers,
Vince
-
A cheap, reliable entry level mic would be the Sm58 (Shure).
That will set you down a mere 100 bucks and change. You’ll need to run XLR to your sound card. I’m not sure if you already own a mixer, but you really need it for any descent voice over work.If you feel like spending a little more, ($150), look at the 55SH (Shure as well), then you have the SM7B ($350), most other brands are going to be starting around $500.00, and well, for a $1000.00, Neumann has some really nice stuff 😉
Vince
-
What software are you using to convert to NTSC?
If you mean Premiere, I would be surprised if you ever had a descent result, even with SP1.
For a good software conversion, you’ll have to look at Canopus, and even then, it isn’t an exact science; motion isn’t your best friend…
As for SP1 VS SP2, from what I recall, most changes only affected network connection and security, but performance did take a hit.
BTW, are we talking DVD playback or preview window?
Cheers,
Vince
-
Unfortunately, many of the FCP users criticizing PPro are mostly doing slide shows (not that there is anything wrong with that), but their level of understanding of editing is often limited.
There are also some valid point abouts the weaknesses of Premiere Pro, but when you add After Effects to the picture, many do go away.
I’m exited about anything great that comes on either platform (such as ProRes on Mac) because we don’t want anybody to fall asleep watching the competition trying to catch up.
The CS3 release is minimal for PCs (I guess we could say disappointing), but again, making it fully Vista and Mac compatible, has likely taken away much of the resources available.
Vince
Vince
-
Everything listed here has been available in Premiere for years.
BTW, Smoothcam is the equivalent is “Steady Move”. Been with Premiere for at least 6 years as well.
Vince
-
The best thing in this case is to get a second opinion by looking at the waveform monitor. Make sure that everything is spread out between 7.5 AND 100.
Vince