Vince Becquiot
Forum Replies Created
-
Sorry, I really don’t have any real answer here. Codec issues are one thing, de-interlacing is an additional loss in quality. You may find out that the smaller size makes those visible artifacts go away. Have you tried using the interlaced version?
My only advice would be to shoot progressive on future projects, but for these current videos you may be stuck with what you have on hand.
Vince
-
Again, I wouldn’t de-interlace anything, because the projector will very likely handle that task.
Vince
-
The interpolation happens everytime you de-interlace with Premiere.
What you are basically doing is removing one field. And although it is a little more involved than that, you pretty much losing half the resolution. Premiere fills in the blanks, but you can see what that means here.
There are many ways to de-interlace, and many application handle these differently. Here’s a link if you want to dig in further.
Cheers,
Vince
-
Vince Becquiot
April 29, 2007 at 4:44 pm in reply to: What’s the best way to make a multiple video in videos?Very easy, put every video on a separate track, scale them down and arrange them as you want on the screen.
Vince
-
I very much agree here. Hopefully they will even have a switcher that can handle the de-interlacing as well.
De-interlacing with software is only necessary if you are going to the web and have lots of motion; The quality and resolution will be affected anyway.
Vince
-
Oops, I also missed the fact that this was from a still camera, that would probably explain it too. I have the same (older) model. Good for still pictures, not really designed for use as descent camcorder. My previous recommendations do apply though.
Vince
-
Well, of course, you don’t want to look at it full screen. Windows media usually does a terrible job at upscaling (version 11 does get a lot better)
There is still some scaling going on I think, however. You could try being picky and export at 648×480, since that’s the exact pixel ratio for 720×480 and see if there is some improvement. I can’t see the original footage so it’s hard to compare here.
In the end, I have a feeling that what you are really seeing is a a loss of resolution after Premiere has converted your interlaced footage to progressive (am I right here ?) I sure looks like a case of field interpolation.
Vince
-
What codec is your original footage compressed with ?
And is this playback issue happening on other machines as well ?Vince
-
Don’t forget that Quicktime is an Apple product, and for several years, Premiere has been a PC product. Not sure what you man by outdated on the AVI side. AVI was here first, and it’s here to stay. Most of us use it every single day. The fact that Apple chooses to ignore it in FCP doesn’t make it outdated, it just leaves Steve Jobs ego untouched 🙂
As Steven said, there isn’t any difference between DV Mov and AVI mov, except for the packaging, but using Quicktime to convert to DVAVI is really fast as well. It doesn’t work for me either, maybe a system issue.
Vince
-
Hold shift+ctrl at start up.
Vince