Forum Replies Created

Page 300 of 350
  • Tim Kolb

    April 11, 2006 at 10:48 pm in reply to: DV chroma key

    I think you’ll probably be fine.

    Given a choice…(How often does THAT happen…?), sure, I’d like to use a 4:2:2 system like Digibeta or DVC Pro50.

    TimK,

    Kolb Productions,
    Creative Cow Host,
    Author/Trainer
    http://www.focalpress.com
    http://www.classondemand.net

  • Tim Kolb

    April 11, 2006 at 1:47 pm in reply to: DV chroma key

    Keying DV can be challenging…and PPro doesn’t do it very well by itself.

    I use AE or Serious Magic Ultra for keying. By taking an extra step or two in AE with Keylight, Serious Magic does a god job also if you want to own a standalone keyer. You can do pretty well with DV as long as the shot is lit well…and I use actual chroma key paint, which I think makes the process much easier.

    TimK,

    Kolb Productions,
    Creative Cow Host,
    Author/Trainer
    http://www.focalpress.com
    http://www.classondemand.net

  • Tim Kolb

    April 9, 2006 at 5:52 am in reply to: Is a capture card useless in this case?

    Your capture card allows you to capture analog, just as mentioned earlier in the thread.

    If you only plan on capturing DV, then yes, a FireWire card is what you need.

    As far as rendering goes, that would be helped with a big display card. You have a big consumer display card, but the GeForce series isn’t designed for Open GL support for After Effects and GPU effects in Ppro. You would need to move to a Quadro series for that.

    ProCoder is about as clean a transcoder as there is available. It’s fast and utilizes hyper-threading, though it does not take advantage of dual processors yet.

    TimK,

    Kolb Productions,
    Creative Cow Host,
    Author/Trainer
    http://www.focalpress.com
    http://www.classondemand.net

  • Tim Kolb

    April 8, 2006 at 6:44 pm in reply to: Premiere Pro Versus Final Cut Pro

    [dickij] “I thought that the advantages of Dynamic link with After Effects and the other tie-ins would mean that PPro would be a better choice than FCP. However, I just had to post this

    https://forums.creativecow.net/cgi-bin/new_read_post.cgi?forumid=3&postid=862782

    as my PPro would not connect to my SONY Z1 over Firwire, so perhpas FCP does HDV more painlessly!? Any tips?”

    My Z1 works fine with PPro…it’s not a software issue.

    FCP has no ability at this time to deal with any of the special frame modes in HDV cameras…CineFrame in Sony, 24F in Canon, 24p in the JVC…only Aspect/Prospect HD on PPro and I believe Edius handles all modes and framerates available on HDV at this point.

    NAB may change that…for Apple’s sake, it probably needs to…

    TimK,

    Kolb Productions,
    Creative Cow Host,
    Author/Trainer
    http://www.focalpress.com
    http://www.classondemand.net

  • Tim Kolb

    April 6, 2006 at 10:02 pm in reply to: Blue Screen key in PPRO or AE ?

    AE AE AE AE

    PPro’s chroma and color screen keyers are really not adequate for any paying work.

    TimK,

    Kolb Productions,
    Creative Cow Host,
    Author/Trainer
    http://www.focalpress.com
    http://www.classondemand.net

  • Tim Kolb

    April 3, 2006 at 12:57 am in reply to: CANON XL H1

    I haven’t edited any of it, but we did test shoot the XL-H1 beside a DVX-100 and compare the 24p motion and it appears to be very similar…and this from a diehard cinematographer who is an unabashed fan of the DVX-100.

    I have no reason to believe that editing it in Aspect would affect the look negatively…

    TimK,

    Kolb Productions,
    Creative Cow Host,
    Author/Trainer
    http://www.focalpress.com
    http://www.classondemand.net

  • Tim Kolb

    April 2, 2006 at 5:34 pm in reply to: 24P HDV on PPro

    I think you may have read the method for taking the CineFrame 24 video in and dropping the pulldown info…

    The best way for a Sony Z1 user (like myself) to get decent 24p is to shoot CineFrame 25 (50i fps PAL framerate) and use CineForm Aspect to “clock it down” to 24p.

    Still good…just not exactly a direct 60i-24p conversion.

    TimK,

    Kolb Productions,
    Creative Cow Host,
    Author/Trainer
    http://www.focalpress.com
    http://www.classondemand.net

  • Tim Kolb

    April 1, 2006 at 5:17 am in reply to: Adobe 2.0 audio should I upgrade??? or pass…..

    [Steve Spaw] “You have all missed one of the best new features in 2.0.
    You can now do a fill left/right in the track mixer.
    Just setup track 1 to fill left and track 2 to fill right.
    Then place the clip audio in the track that you want to use (or both).”

    No question that it’s a nice feature, but you’re still monkeying with stereo audio and trying to make it work like mono. As a workflow, I find it’s easier to simply make it all mono and be done with it…the track mixer method still requires a copy/paste of each and every audio clip if you want both tracks, but intend to mix them separately.

    TimK,

    Kolb Productions,
    Creative Cow Host,
    Author/Trainer
    http://www.focalpress.com
    http://www.classondemand.net

  • Tim Kolb

    April 1, 2006 at 5:14 am in reply to: 24P HDV on PPro

    http://www.cineform.com

    Aspect HD is the product. It handles every HDV mode on every camcorder available…and it’s considerably faster than HDV native as well.

    TimK,

    Kolb Productions,
    Creative Cow Host,
    Author/Trainer
    http://www.focalpress.com
    http://www.classondemand.net

  • Tim Kolb

    March 31, 2006 at 9:56 pm in reply to: Adobe 2.0 audio should I upgrade??? or pass…..

    [Dave Friend] “Didn’t want dissapoint you and not mention edit. :)”

    🙂 I was counting on you Dave…and you came through.

    …I would agree though that editing mono tracks and mastering them by mixing them to stereo is the most fundamentally sound way to edit audio in a video project…my opinion.

    TimK,

    Kolb Productions,
    Creative Cow Host,
    Author/Trainer
    http://www.focalpress.com
    http://www.classondemand.net

Page 300 of 350

We use anonymous cookies to give you the best experience we can.
Our Privacy policy | GDPR Policy