Forum Replies Created

Page 270 of 350
  • Tim Kolb

    February 19, 2007 at 1:32 pm in reply to: pelican cases

    [Steve Wargo] “When possible, we buy the padded liners with the movable separaters. the foam is always a hassle.”

    Agreed…

    TimK,
    Director,
    Kolb Productions,

    Creative Cow Host,
    Author/Trainer
    http://www.focalpress.com
    http://www.classondemand.net

  • Tim Kolb

    February 19, 2007 at 4:38 am in reply to: Downconvert Quality

    I haven’t had a lot of experience with DVC ProHD RT downconversions…but I’ve been impressed with my LH’s quality in that respect when I’ve had a need for it.

    TimK,
    Director,
    Kolb Productions,

    Creative Cow Host,
    Author/Trainer
    http://www.focalpress.com
    http://www.classondemand.net

  • Tim Kolb

    February 19, 2007 at 2:09 am in reply to: if it was your money which camera would you buy?

    [paulos] “I have to admit that like many people, the RED project is very exciting, I just wish there was more to make decisions on than tests and proposed specs.”

    And to echo Tony’s very important point…RED’s workflow is a little unclear here in the early running, at least from a speed and ease standpoint.

    Bottom line, if you need a camera today, you need one you can buy today. Tape is a very well known and understood workflow. I would have to say that if I was buying today, I would probably opt for the HDX myself.

    TimK,
    Director,
    Kolb Productions,

    Creative Cow Host,
    Author/Trainer
    http://www.focalpress.com
    http://www.classondemand.net

  • Tim Kolb

    February 19, 2007 at 2:02 am in reply to: old film effects

    Depending on what you are working with for footage and how it could be handled, the best and fastest old film effect I’ve seen to date is Canopus’ “Old Movie” effect. It’s included in Edius and is real-time on top of it. Vignetting (sp?), dust, scratches, gate weave, frame blending…all adjustable from a master dialogue.

    I’ve done several projects where I’ve used Edius specifically for that…maybe you might have a friend that has Edius that could process the footage for you?

    TimK,
    Director,
    Kolb Productions,

    Creative Cow Host,
    Author/Trainer
    http://www.focalpress.com
    http://www.classondemand.net

  • Tim Kolb

    February 16, 2007 at 12:54 am in reply to: Dumb Question? on 4:1:1 codec

    I think you have some terminology meshing together…

    4:1:1 refers to the way that DV samples color…one sample for every 4 horizontal pixels for the Cb and Cr color components, and yes, all “DV” video is 4:1:1 and has a data rate of 25 Megabits per second. Canon’s XL-1 and 2 as well as the Panasonic DVX100 are all DV cameras.

    Pulldown refers to the process of shooting a video at 24 frames per second-progressive scan, but converting it to either view or record it as 60 frames per second-interlaced for compatibility with conventional NTSC video monitors and other recorders.

    The DVX100 does indeed use a pulldown when it shoots in its “24fps” mode. Canon’s XL-1 does not have a 24fps “pulldown” mode, and I’m not sure about the Xl-2, however Canon’s XL-H1, which shoots high definition HDV does have a 24fps mode, which does some form of this, though Canon keeps the details under wraps.

    I am not aware of any camera below the level of a DVX100 that would be able to do this…

    TimK,
    Director,
    Kolb Productions,

    Creative Cow Host,
    Author/Trainer
    http://www.focalpress.com
    http://www.classondemand.net

  • Tim Kolb

    February 15, 2007 at 10:37 pm in reply to: Premiere Pro lagging badly. Please help. Urgent.

    Can you remove the Matrox update? It would seem that that is what caused the slow down…and removing it would allow you to get your project done.

    You could also check with Matrox to see if you might have something else installed on your system that causes some known conflict…

    TimK,
    Director,
    Kolb Productions,

    Creative Cow Host,
    Author/Trainer
    http://www.focalpress.com
    http://www.classondemand.net

  • Tim Kolb

    February 14, 2007 at 7:01 pm in reply to: Audio Dropouts in Premier 2.0

    Where is the audio being stored? Keep in mind that all audio that is part of a “non-native” clip (XDcam or HDV on a DV timeline, etc, or a DV PAL clip on a DV NTSC timeline) is conformed to an uncompressed file.

    If these uncompressed audio conform files are located on a slow system drive (C: drive) or a really full AND/OR fragmented drive, they will sputter just like any other meda file will…

    TimK,
    Director,
    Kolb Productions,

    Creative Cow Host,
    Author/Trainer
    http://www.focalpress.com
    http://www.classondemand.net

  • Tim Kolb

    February 11, 2007 at 2:15 pm in reply to: Premier for Mac upgrade

    [Laktic] “The point I was making is I could not buy the bundle as it was not available for the mac, now it will be, I

  • Tim Kolb

    February 10, 2007 at 8:03 pm in reply to: continuous rotation

    [mike velte] “You could create a short loopable clip where the beginning and ending keyframes match. Save it as a dv.avi and then drop as many iterations on the timeline as you need.”

    Well…yes, but do keep in mind that if the beginning and ending keyframes are identical, the animation will appear to pause at every repeat point. To loop, you would want the “second to the last” frame to be the last frame of the clip, with the first frame of the next clip being the “home” position in order to have fluid motion.

    You can position the ending keyframe outside of the clip trim to do this, or you can trim a frame off the end of the clip after setting the keyframes.

    The reason I suggested a nested sequence was that once you have a number of fluid rotations set up with one set of key frames, it strictly becomes a matter of trimming one clip.

    It just depends what makes the job faster for you really…

    TimK,
    Director,
    Kolb Productions,

    Creative Cow Host,
    Author/Trainer
    http://www.focalpress.com
    http://www.classondemand.net

  • Tim Kolb

    February 10, 2007 at 7:45 pm in reply to: FCP & PPro forum observation

    I’d have to echo Dave’s comments (other than the Mac-Biggot brother-in-law).

    Mac people do seem to interact more with each other and perhaps that IS a culture thing…the Mac “club” if you will. I had 10 of them until about 2000…and OSX.

    The Macs we have around here seem to be fine…no issues. I was using Premiere on a PC when PPro went only PC, so it seemed to be as logical a choice as any. Avid’s tools still are incredibly efficient for cutting…the problem is that graphics and compositing are becoming more a part of mainstream editing and PPro and FCP simply have more power in those areas.

    It’s an interesting observation… I’m not sure what to draw from it, but it’s interesting.

    TimK,
    Director,
    Kolb Productions,

    Creative Cow Host,
    Author/Trainer
    http://www.focalpress.com
    http://www.classondemand.net

Page 270 of 350

We use anonymous cookies to give you the best experience we can.
Our Privacy policy | GDPR Policy