Forum Replies Created

Page 271 of 350
  • Tim Kolb

    February 10, 2007 at 7:38 pm in reply to: FCP & PPro forum observation

    [Vincent Becquiot] “I will summarize it for you. There are indeed more FCP users than there are PP Pro users, at least for a while.”

    I think it depends on how you slice the market…several years ago as PPro was being developed, there was some information that led to the impression that there were more copies of Premiere sold than any other NLE. This was put forward by one or more of the companies manufacturing video boards at the time as their motivation for serving that market.

    This could be technically possible as the number of units of Premiere that were “owned” was probably considerably higher than the number of units “in use.” Of course, this might also count all versions accumulating a number that would actually have many single users accounting for several sales…as Vincent says, most of this information was a bit vague.

    As far as how many users there are of each now…I think the market probably changes balance from PPro to FCP as you move from the professional event and corporate market up to the episodic television and film market. Of course you can find as many exceptions and anecdotal anomalies as you like…I use PPro and I find that most of my peers in the HD/Indie Film/regional spot sort of work are using FCP.

    I think that Adobe continues to work on their weaknesses and Apple continues to work on theirs. As far as the interface and function of use are concerned, I think they are pretty similar…so much so that even though I’ve only worked on FCP a handful of times, I’m the main source of guidance for the FCP users in the facility where i am…

    TimK,
    Director,
    Kolb Productions,

    Creative Cow Host,
    Author/Trainer
    http://www.focalpress.com
    http://www.classondemand.net

  • Tim Kolb

    February 10, 2007 at 3:56 pm in reply to: F900 vs HDX900 Why we had a shoot off

    [Edward G Downie] “As to service I think JVC is the best of all in service is a pitty the format they are pushing I am not interested.”

    Just as an illustration of the earlier point that no camera company is perfect…I was originally the moderator of the JVC ProDV forum here. After some rather exasperating problems with JVC service (equipment arrives back with the same problem after they had it for 5 weeks…it gets shipped back immediately for 3 weeks so they can actually fix it…), I have found that I have an intensely difficult time recommending any JVC equipment anymore.

    Unfortunately these events burn into one’s memory…and colleagues who bought JVC equipment on my recommendations locally got hosed terribly…a DV500 that basically never worked dependably and a DV700 that spurred a FireStore purchase not because it was convenient, but because it was critical to actually recording anything as the tape ransports were unbelieveably undependable.

    It is interesting how these companies will take an opportunity to really make good in a situation like this where they could really shine and earn a customer for life, and simply blow it. I can understand it more in JVC’s case where this equipment was obviously very low margin and was not high-priced…leaving very little profit margin to support the service function, but if you extract $100K for a camera from somebody…it’s probably in your best interest to support them.

    TimK,
    Director,
    Kolb Productions,

    Creative Cow Host,
    Author/Trainer
    http://www.focalpress.com
    http://www.classondemand.net

  • Tim Kolb

    February 10, 2007 at 2:16 pm in reply to: Premier for Mac upgrade

    [Blast1] “Good point, But is it OK to whine about Audition not being in the next version of the production studio?”

    YES!

    TimK,
    Director,
    Kolb Productions,

    Creative Cow Host,
    Author/Trainer
    http://www.focalpress.com
    http://www.classondemand.net

  • Tim Kolb

    February 10, 2007 at 4:12 am in reply to: continuous rotation

    Use a nested sequence. Create a new sequence with the clip doing the rotation you want for some time that will almost certainly be enough and then some, and then bring that sequence out of the project window onto your main timeline. You can now trim the clip and the rotation should not change…though frankly, if you have keyframes set and trim the clip on the timeline, the keyframes should not be moving…

    TimK,
    Director,
    Kolb Productions,

    Creative Cow Host,
    Author/Trainer
    http://www.focalpress.com
    http://www.classondemand.net

  • Hold it. 720×540 is square pixel, 4:3 exactly.

    Are you mixing this with DV, or outputting it to DV?

    It sounds to me like the project ISN’T set for square pixel, but your clips are…is that correct?

    TimK,
    Director,
    Kolb Productions,

    Creative Cow Host,
    Author/Trainer
    http://www.focalpress.com
    http://www.classondemand.net

  • Tim Kolb

    February 9, 2007 at 11:30 pm in reply to: Ganging reference and program monitor

    I don’t think that that’s possible. Windows plays video on the primary monitor, or on an external monitor.

    You may want to go in to you display preferences and see if there is a way to make your Svideo monitor a permanent “video” monitor. I’ve done this with second monitors, sometimes there are control panels where you can switch the second monitor on, but not select “extend my desktop onto this monitor”, then make sure that Premiere Pro is set up to feed the external display in the playback settings. You won’t need a ganged reference monitor then…it will be full screen video program all the time.

    TimK,
    Director,
    Kolb Productions,

    Creative Cow Host,
    Author/Trainer
    http://www.focalpress.com
    http://www.classondemand.net

  • Tim Kolb

    February 9, 2007 at 7:54 pm in reply to: Premier for Mac upgrade

    Well…let’s withhold the speaking of “ripoffs” until you know what the prices are…

    Keep in mind that 5-6 years ago, After Effects Production version cost almost 2,000 dollars…now that buys all the software programs together.

    As someone who owned two Media 100s…total investment about $100,000 USD at a time when a 9 Gig harddrive (those were the really big ones then) cost almost $4,000 USD.

    These tools are as cheap as they’ve ever been and growing in capability faster than ever before. Whether or not you can afford the stuff and whether or not it’s a justified price for the product are two different discussions.

    While I do sympathize with an independent like myself trying to make a living, being around for 20 years at this and seeing 20 years of head-spinning drops in prices and equally head-spinning increases in power affect my opinions on this matter.

    The pricing for the Production Studio is justified 5 times over, and Adobe’s upgrade system is designed to get everyone into the bundles as cleanly as possible. While they do not add together multiple discounts for multiple packages owned, the discounts are very aggressive and end up being an amazing deal when you look at upgrading one package to 4 or 6.

    Sorry for the attitude, but as someone who has seen this technology evolve from the early 90’s, I just don’t see any reason for anyone to whine about pricing.

    TimK,
    Director,
    Kolb Productions,

    Creative Cow Host,
    Author/Trainer
    http://www.focalpress.com
    http://www.classondemand.net

  • Tim Kolb

    February 9, 2007 at 7:42 pm in reply to: Ganging reference and program monitor

    this is normal behavior…

    Are you using a Parhelia APVe?

    If not, how is the window getting to the “color correction monitor”?

    I’m curious about your configuration…

    TimK,
    Director,
    Kolb Productions,

    Creative Cow Host,
    Author/Trainer
    http://www.focalpress.com
    http://www.classondemand.net

  • Tim Kolb

    February 9, 2007 at 6:49 pm in reply to: pelican cases

    That’s about the best way…

    With my Pelicans I sort of leave the foam a little loose as I have several cases that have been re-purposed over the years and being able to simply remove the foam and reconfigure the case can be handy…

    TimK,
    Director,
    Kolb Productions,

    Creative Cow Host,
    Author/Trainer
    http://www.focalpress.com
    http://www.classondemand.net

  • Tim Kolb

    February 7, 2007 at 2:32 am in reply to: advanced editing techniques?

    This is a good question.

    I don’t know that I’ve seen any actual class on advanced editing. All the really good ones seem to be self-taught.

    The compositing and FX stuff is out there…the Meyers (Chris and Trish) have some excellent material in that area.

    I think I expand my editing skills everytime I get to handle some totally new type of material or project and I have to get out of my comfort zone. Editing an Indie feature where there is a director who is a little green yet can be a great experience…they don’t know what “can’t” be done.

    TimK,
    Director,
    Kolb Productions,

    Creative Cow Host,
    Author/Trainer
    http://www.focalpress.com
    http://www.classondemand.net

Page 271 of 350

We use anonymous cookies to give you the best experience we can.
Our Privacy policy | GDPR Policy