Forum Replies Created
-
DVC ProHD format on the Varicam is 60p…all the time, all the way.
The different frame cadences that the Varicam can do are based on interpolation or frame duplication. Shooting 24p (hopefully you mean 23.976) on a Varicam means that there is 2 copies of one frame, 3 of the next, then 2, then 3 and so on.
Depending on the deck you are using, it may play this back as 29.97 with a pulldown. Depending on just what order everything happens in and what the BM card is doing with the TC, it has potential to be a real pain in the neck.
I work with CineForm/AJA and I can have CineForm extract the pulldown on conversion, but i have no meaningful experience with the Black Magic products and I’m not sure what options are available to you. maybe their tech support folks can offer a preferred workflow for your situation?
TimK,
Director,
Kolb Productions,Creative Cow Host,
Author/Trainer
http://www.focalpress.com
http://www.classondemand.net -
Harm-
Please…if being helpful isn’t possible in any given situation, refrain from posting.
Enough said.
as far as the problem is concerned, I think you need to check your configuration…it seems very light for PPro to me.
However…you are capturing the video, correct? (You’ve played the clips in windows media player to verify?)
How is the video coming into the computer? FireWire? I/O card like Matrox, AJA?
What are the project settings? If they are anything but Adobe uncompressed, you certainly are compressing the video…if you are in a DV project (the only way the FireWire would work for capture), you are creating DV files and DV is compressed. Without a significant investment in harddrive technology, you wouldn’t be able to even play back uncompressed video…
So, basically the point that we need more information as presented by Mike is valid…
TimK,
Director,
Kolb Productions,Creative Cow Host,
Author/Trainer
http://www.focalpress.com
http://www.classondemand.net -
Tim Kolb
February 5, 2007 at 11:35 pm in reply to: Admin: Please welcome Walter Biscardi to the Business & Marketing forum…Welcome Walter.
Looking forwad to your thoughts on business topics…being a television show producer should give us another excellent perspective to hear from.
TimK,
Director,
Kolb Productions,Creative Cow Host,
Author/Trainer
http://www.focalpress.com
http://www.classondemand.net -
Keep in mind that when you identify the problem, the answer may not be what you’re selling. Be prepared to suggest the client go another way if that’s best for them. It doesn’t put money in your pocket, but what do you think that guy will tell his (or her) buddies if video production vendors come up in conversation?
It helps to understand the merits of a range of communication options…if the message needs to be non-linear (like a reference catalog), you need some sort of CD/DVD with an interface…if the intended audience (your customer’s customer) travels a lot, maybe an optical disk is inconvenient to use as you need to have a laptop with you at all times…on the other hand if the catalog weighs 40 pounds when fully realized in print, carrying a laptop doesn’t seem like much of a burden.
Is the message an opening salvo for any old snowball-of-a-chance prospect, or is it for established customers? Opening salvos need flash and it needs to be cheap to distribute as most of them will be a waste of time…CDrom totally beats print in this case for manufacturing and shipping cost…if it’s a device to help established customers have easier access to ordering information, maybe a CDrom that plugs into a website for additional functionality is the answer.
If it’s a sales presentation, keep the pricing out of it, or have a hidden web page that can only be accessed by the CDrom from the client’s computer with the pricing on it, then the client doesn’t have to discard and recreate inventory of the disk everytime pricing changes, they simply change the web page.
This stuff goes on and on frankly…just remember that until you fully understand the client’s business and needs, you don’t know if you can provide the services he/she needs. Building a reputation will be easier if you can at least provide the answer however…
TimK,
Director,
Kolb Productions,Creative Cow Host,
Author/Trainer
http://www.focalpress.com
http://www.classondemand.net -
I think the biggest hurdle has been well identified.
If you have production experience as an employee somewhere, you may want to attempt to leverage that.
Also…I would not start a video business with standard definition anymore…it would be like opening an LP stamping facility. Yes, most of what you would deliver would be standard def for the forseeable future, but having HD capability (probably HDV) is going to present the widest possible scope of opportunities in my opinion…
TimK,
Director,
Kolb Productions,Creative Cow Host,
Author/Trainer
http://www.focalpress.com
http://www.classondemand.net -
…or is your harddrive formatted as FAT 32 instead of NTFS?
TimK,
Director,
Kolb Productions,Creative Cow Host,
Author/Trainer
http://www.focalpress.com
http://www.classondemand.net -
Tim Kolb
January 25, 2007 at 6:25 am in reply to: Is this possible or do I have to restart everything all over?…keeping in mind that all these changeovers do create some rendering…
TimK,
Director,
Kolb Productions,Creative Cow Host,
Author/Trainer
http://www.focalpress.com
http://www.classondemand.net -
I agree with Vincent completely.
I was going to ask about how full your harddrive is…PPro needs to make the entire DVD in place on your harddrive, then the burning process is more of a “copying” operation.
TimK,
Director,
Kolb Productions,Creative Cow Host,
Author/Trainer
http://www.focalpress.com
http://www.classondemand.net -
Tim Kolb
January 24, 2007 at 1:15 pm in reply to: Is this possible or do I have to restart everything all over?Harm’s suggestion would be mine as well.
TimK,
Director,
Kolb Productions,Creative Cow Host,
Author/Trainer
http://www.focalpress.com
http://www.classondemand.net -
You might want to try running with the performance monitor in the task manager open (as I mentioned somewhere else, I took this suggestion from Marisu). The page file size seems to be what goes critical…for me, anyway… once it gets above 1.5 GB (why it should even get that big I have no idea), I’m toast.
…and today this happened while doing the second CineForm export from a project that the file size was actually only 10 MB…so there seem to be some other factors, at least in my case.
I do have occasion to chat with those guys and while I understand that these problems are real, please remember that the fact that they exist does not mean the developers are evil…or stupid. That’s all I ask as far as context for these conversations. Nothing wrong with saying that the software doesn’t work for you if that’s the case…that’s statement of fact.
TimK,
Director,
Kolb Productions,Creative Cow Host,
Author/Trainer
http://www.focalpress.com
http://www.classondemand.net