Forum Replies Created
-
Tim Kolb
August 24, 2009 at 4:16 pm in reply to: Are Mac PremierPro Projects Compatible with PC PremierePro CS4?[Jiggy Gaton] “I had no idea that those 422s and 444s were not supported by PC and Quicktime there. Seems odd. Also did not know that PPro could open an FCP project – wow! But I bet that requires CS4 with updates no?:) cheers!!!”
Yeah, well…I guess only Apple knows why they keep those codecs proprietary…I’d think FCP’s functionality would be enough of a sales point that proprietary codecs wouldn’t be necessary…keep in mind that most of the more ‘traditional’ codecs are supported by the Windows version of QT…ProRes read ability on the PC end does help somewhat.
CS4 can be updated for free…
TimK,
Director, Consultant
Kolb Productions, -
Hmmm…is this Flip footage?
I’ve found that I have to put Flip or GoPro footage into Vegas as PPro simply hates it.
Also, you’re putting 1280×720 30 fps MJPEG footage into an HDV (MPEG) 29.97 fps project setting. That certainly isn’t helping anything. You would need to setup a custom project and I’d advise to set the sequence for 1280×720, 30 fps, uncompressed to have a shot at it working…
Also…you’re system has just too much installed and running and is really light on RAM. I advise everyone running CS4 that they need Vista 64 so they can access more RAM. 8 Gigs minimum is my typical recommendation. The minimum requirements are usually what the software can be opened on…not what it will run well on.
With a light system like this, I suspect that Vegas is your best bet for doing this work…
TimK,
Director, Consultant
Kolb Productions, -
Tim Kolb
August 24, 2009 at 2:14 pm in reply to: Are Mac PremierPro Projects Compatible with PC PremierePro CS4?[Jiggy Gaton] “I cringe everytime pc people come into the shop, for example, his external was riddled with conflicker virus and formatted in NTFS. When will people learn? Cheers!”
Hmmm… The virus is obviously an issue…but not for Mac, right? As far as NTFS is concerned, a PC can’t write a file larger than 2GB to FAT, so the news is that all PCs use NTFS…your Mac can open and read NTFS, so I don’t know why this would be an issue. Since MacDrive exists for PCs to be able to read/write to a Mac formatted drive, there must certainly be a counterpart on the Mac end…?
As far as cross-platform compatibility, PPro CS4 opens FCP project files pretty faithfully with all standard effects that both software packages have…I doubt FCP claims the reverse.
The main problem with cross platform operations are the proprietary codecs that FCP uses…not the other way around. I’ve edited 90 minute timelines of Pro Res footage on a PC, I just can’t output to ProRes as only FCP is allowed to do that. PPro works with native media in several video data formats that media FCP still converts.
If you have to go to an intermediate codec, use Pro Res as PCs can read it. FCP proprietary-wrapped HDV, DVCPHD, and P2 are not formats that Apple allows PC users to access without the help of some pretty obscure third party plugins.
TimK,
Director, Consultant
Kolb Productions, -
[Fabian Terh] “Here’s the thing. I can’t afford another computer which is dedicated to video encoding and editing. Same for a gaming rig. I have to infuse my gaming, editing, work computer into one.”
Honestly, this simply isn’t workable. You have Vegas and Premiere Pro CS4, but you’re using a freeware antivirus? You need to invest in hardware to do the job. Many people don’t seem to understand that PPro (and even Vegas…) are professional video editing applications and they need system resources to do their job correctly. There might be some lower end editors that might tolerate such an environment, but their capabilities are limited so their system demands are lighter.
Nobody buys Avid and expects it to run flawlessly on such a computer. I have no idea why anyone expects Vegas or PPro to…
TimK,
Director, Consultant
Kolb Productions, -
Tim Kolb
August 24, 2009 at 1:53 pm in reply to: Frustration with new-age communication being ignored *whinge*I guess I’d also make a habit of noting timelines and when messages were sent. We once had a project that came in considerably beyond deadline and the client started pressing us for a discount…
When we ran the email record and the notes from our phone conversations, it was evident that non-responses and responses that were weeks past the date promised from their end added far more time to the timeline than the amount we were late…
Client blushes and writes check…
TimK,
Director, Consultant
Kolb Productions, -
The Xena card gives you conventional video/audio input/output capabilities. You can monitor via SDI and ingest formats like HDcam.
I like my system with both CineForm and the Xena card…but if you plan on simply editing something to author to DVD or some other method of distribution other than making a master tape, Prospect works fine without it as well…
TimK,
Director, Consultant
Kolb Productions, -
To build on Mike’s reply…
To make the edit less of a PITN, you could set up a sequence for screen A, and a sequence for screen B (You could edit to the same audio track) and nest sequences A and B together in sequence C. Scale each of the nested sequences down as Mike describes and any tweaks or changes you make to the edit in sequence A or B are immediately reflected in C where you can proof the spatial and timing relationships. This would keep you from having to scale all the clips, and would give you two sequences ready to master individually when you’re done.
From my MotoQ on mobi.creativecow.net
TimK,
Director, Consultant
Kolb Productions, -
They awarded the “Best in (Your City Here)” to the entity we haven’t done business as in about 5 years…but hey, saving trees by using old phone books as the source for their stringent evaluation demands some trade-offs I guess.
I’m guessing the “U.S. Commerce Association” also does business as “Earl’s Plaque Shoppe”…
I’m almost as humbled by this award as I was the last time I was inducted into one of those “Who’s Who” (among people gullible enough to buy this book) books…
TimK,
Director, Consultant
Kolb Productions, -
Tim Kolb
August 14, 2009 at 3:45 am in reply to: Legalities of starting a site:trademarks, inc/LLC, IRS, etc.I suspect “paypalsucks.com” can claim satire or some such free speech issue… However, if you decided to register something like “sonycameras.com” or something similar, you’re intentionaly causing confusion. Nobody will erroneously attempt to alter their paypal account by confusing the site with “paypalsucks.”
The oversimplified essence of LLC or INC is a business structure that protects you from liability, but some variations will also create more tax prep/accounting work.
An EIN (employer identification number in the USA) is, as it implies, the tax reference for an employer that needs to withhold payroll taxes. If you have no employees, you could hold off until you grow and need to hire. There is additional tax prep work involved with an EIN, though it’s minimal if you have no employees.
You’re best off consulting an accountant and/or attorney on specifics of how any particular business structure would affect you.
TimK,
Director, Consultant
Kolb Productions, -
Tim Kolb
August 13, 2009 at 1:27 pm in reply to: Legalities of starting a site:trademarks, inc/LLC, IRS, etc.You’re much better off to get a domain name that is unique and grab all the suffixes.
I’d do some synonym searches based on what meaning or topic you want to address and start searching domains that way.
TimK,
Director, Consultant
Kolb Productions,