Forum Replies Created

Page 120 of 285
  • Glad you like it.

    As I said, the next bit of the challenge is the really hard part, so good luck with cracking it 😉

    Please post a solution if you find one. I’d be really interested in where you get to.

    Simon Ubsdell
    tokyo-uk.com

  • Here’s a project that does the first two steps in one process automatically:

    8076_border.thing.motn.zip

    The surround auto-scales with the text, as does the first “bevelled” edge.

    It uses a cunning workaround involving the Simple Border filter, as there’s no other way (that I know of) for getting a graphic to scale with the text size.

    Getting the outer “bevel” is more of a challenge but can probably be achieved with the same technique – if you have the patience to work it out, which I’m afraid I don’t …

    Hope that helps.

    Simon Ubsdell
    tokyo-uk.com

  • Simon Ubsdell

    October 2, 2014 at 7:41 pm in reply to: Particle emitter in 3d space

    Glad you got it sorted out. I have found that Motion projects that I’ve been working on for a really long time can start behaving strangely (especially recently in 5.1.2) – I think a lot of crud gets left behind in the XML after a while which doesn’t get fully cleared out.

    Very pleased to hear you like the tutorials. Thanks 🙂

    Simon Ubsdell
    tokyo-uk.com

  • Simon Ubsdell

    October 2, 2014 at 7:16 pm in reply to: Particle emitter in 3d space

    You need to make sure your group is set to 3D.

    Simon Ubsdell
    tokyo-uk.com

  • Simon Ubsdell

    September 17, 2014 at 3:39 pm in reply to: Apple drops ProApps from corporate definition

    [Walter Soyka] “(By the way, this is why you should be concerned about the disruption of developers of high-end software by mass-market vendors.)”

    Very well said.

    [Walter Soyka] “Behaviors are deceptively powerful, especially when combined. Is there something specific you’re looking to do that you feel cannot be done? I’ll volunteer Simon to help you out!”

    Haha!

    Of course, I’m always delighted to wade in on anything to do with Behaviors – they really are crazy powerful and can fill quite a few of the more obvious requirements of anyone using Expressions in other apps. In fact, they can sometimes make the equivalent expression-based solutions looked excessively convoluted.

    But not always!

    Simon Ubsdell
    tokyo-uk.com

  • Simon Ubsdell

    September 3, 2014 at 9:15 pm in reply to: The Question – An Update On My Choices In NLEs

    [Franz Bieberkopf] “Yes, I would agree. It’s just that this measure is pretty subjective.

    I suppose “most requested” and general popularity of feature applies.

    I don’t use this function much, so it doesn’t have much impact on me. But others dismiss, for example, an audio mixing interface (outside the timeline) as essential – because they don’t use it. To me, it’s basic.”

    You can work around the absence of a mixer prettily easily – indeed there’s a good case to be made that using a mixer in an NLE is a slower more cumbersome way of working than the alternatives.

    If you can’t actually deliver the job quick enough because of the absence of a particular function, in this case the absence of a true Replace Edit option, then it’s a really big deal, whether or not that’s a niche requirement for the vast mass of editors out there.

    Simon Ubsdell
    tokyo-uk.com

  • Simon Ubsdell

    September 3, 2014 at 8:42 pm in reply to: The Question – An Update On My Choices In NLEs

    [Franz Bieberkopf] “So, what’s the criteria for categorizing “basic, necessary functions” vs. “different priorities, different approaches”?”

    I can only talk about the absence of true Replace Edit which makes a lot of my day-to-day work very difficult indeed – if I happen to choose to work in FCP X. There is no quick and easy way of executing a similar function as things stand and yet I need to be able to do this quickly and easily on a regular basis.

    In the last two weeks, I have had four jobs where this function was essential and where the turnaround time meant that I wouldn’t have been able to deliver had I been stuck with X. As it happens I was working in FCP7 and got all the jobs done in time.

    No doubt Apple with all their prescience have foreseen a future where I won’t need this function – but that future hasn’t arrived yet.

    Simon Ubsdell
    tokyo-uk.com

  • Simon Ubsdell

    September 3, 2014 at 8:26 pm in reply to: The Question – An Update On My Choices In NLEs

    [Charlie Austin] “It’s pretty basic function in any NLE, and there’s stuff in the guts of X that indicate it was/is a planned feature. A lot of stuff people “miss” does fall into the “stop trying to do it like (insert other NLE here). Not this. :-)”

    Seconded.

    Simon Ubsdell
    tokyo-uk.com

  • Simon Ubsdell

    August 18, 2014 at 12:49 pm in reply to: Importing into Motion…and rendering therein

    [John Mendelsohn] “Is there a way, when importing multiple JPEGs or PNGs, to avoid each of them going into a separate group?

    Shift select them in the Finder or File Browser and drag them into a group – rather than hitting the Import button.

    Also, why, when I’ve adjusted the In and Out bars on the Timeeline, does the program render even the stuff I wish to exclude? How to get it to render only between In and Out, please?”

    If you have a play range created (Alt/Cmd+I to set the inpoint, Alt/Cmd+O to set the outpoint), the Export movie dialogue will allow you to choose Use Play Range for the export duration. If you don’t have a play range set, this option will be greyed out.

    Simon Ubsdell
    tokyo-uk.com

  • Simon Ubsdell

    August 15, 2014 at 9:22 pm in reply to: UK NLE Survey

    Is it just me or does anyone else think this is a very odd result indeed for compositing in this market?

    Avid is also the strongest brand in the compositing market, with the DS system being used by 34% – even though it has been discontinued by the manufacturer. Autodesk’s Flame and Smoke are each used by 17%, with Mistika and Hiero on 4% and 1% respectively. 56% said they didn’t composite.

    Simon Ubsdell
    tokyo-uk.com

Page 120 of 285

We use anonymous cookies to give you the best experience we can.
Our Privacy policy | GDPR Policy