Considering the relatively small size of DVCPROHD files and the added hassle of reconforming an online version, I’d highly recommend simply investing in more hard drive space. A really nice 320GB FW800 G-RAID drive holds around 7 hours of DVCPROHD and costs only $350. Cheaper drives out there too if you don’t need as much space.
Depends on your definition of viable. With the much smaller track pitch of DV and it’s not being designed originally for this application I suspect error rates and data loss will be much higher than with DLT or LTO archives.
March 17, 2006 at 3:21 pm
in reply to: Focus is soft
I’ve been shooting with this cam for years and can say the image you get on a monitor as you shoot is pretty close to what’s being recorded. Never had a monitor-sharp shot look out of focus on the tape. So I’d shoot some chart tests and see what’s up because it sound like the camera needs repair.
Really depends where you are in the world and what apps you are planning to train on. Some, like Apple’s DVD Studio Pro have an authorized training center network, courseware, etc.
The HVX’s effect is the same more or less comparable to film shot at 60fps because 60 discrete frames are literally being captured per second. This is unlike post-production video slow motion effects where new frames are interpolated from the original video footage to create new frame rates. The degree of sharpness in the individual frames is determined by the shutter speed. Here’s one pretty cool example: