I do like Pro Player a lot, but there is something to be said in workflow with the Quicklook feature. I was also on another thread where the customer did not want to install anything other than their beloved OSX player because it’s what they had. Stupid I know, but causes issues all the same. Both QuickTime and ProRes codec are not open formats. That is why DNxHD (DPX, etc.) was ratified by SMPTE as VC3 ensuring archives of material could still be decoded by anyone using the specification. One could say the same for R3D which is only available through the company or by licensing. I think Cineform was going through some SMPTE ratification before being acquired by GoPro but I need to check into that again.
Bringing the “goodness and ease”of iOS7 to OS X is a consumer play, not necessarily a good one for the content creators themselves. On one hand, I’m all for getting out of QuickTime’s quirky gamma of the day issues regardless of codec, and hope that “quickly” over time, that the new AV Foundation allows for other codecs to be accessed. And if they want to play really nicely with broadcasters and studio archives, publish AV Foundation as an open format.
Michael