Forum Replies Created

Page 115 of 222
  • Michael Hancock

    March 20, 2009 at 4:00 pm in reply to: ? for those of you that use FCP and Avid

    No problem Carlos. Have fun editing!

    Michael

  • Michael Hancock

    March 20, 2009 at 3:11 pm in reply to: ? for those of you that use FCP and Avid

    [carlos castro] “I would be using P2, I’m assuming that you cant make p2 uncompressed?
    Every source I’ve ever used for transferring from a p2 card was connected by firewire. I don’t know for sure but I’ve been told that firewire compresses the original material.”

    Firewire is a digital transfer, which is just 1s and 0s. It should be an exacty copy of your P2 media. Nothing will change if you’re coming in over firewire, whether you use FCP, Avid, Premiere, Edius, etc… It’s basically a file transfer, so you shouldn’t have any worries there.

    [carlos castro] “You lost me at dual boot, I haven’t a clue what you are talking about. It sounds like I should forget about using it on the same CPU. LOL.”

    Dual boot is just having two hard drives in your system (or partitioning one drive into two parts) with your operating system installed on both.

    When you boot up you choose whether to boot into your OS which has FCP installed (which you can keep up-to-date with FCP’s quicktime and OS requirements) or the OS with Avid installed (typically requires earlier OS versions and quicktime).

    Here’s an explanation of it. It’s not really hard to do, but it’s worth it to keep your editing software stable.

    Example of Dual Boot/

    Michael

  • Michael Hancock

    March 20, 2009 at 1:52 pm in reply to: ? for those of you that use FCP and Avid

    [carlos castro] “I thought in order to use it, for example an SDI input to ingest materials I had to use the mojo so Avid would be able to import or export the materials. If I were to opt to use Media composer.”

    If you want to capture anything besides over firewire into Media Composer you will need a Mojo, MojoSDI, Adrenaline, MojoDX, or NitrisDX. Avid only talks to Avid hardware, so you can’t hook a Kona up to your system and use it to capture into Avid.

    However, like Shane said, Media Composer is now software only so you can definitely use it without hardware–you’ll just be limited to working with P2, XDCam, or any firewire captured media (like DV). Anything analogue and you’ll need to make a hardware purchase.

    Also, if you decide to install both FCP and Avid, I highly suggest a dual boot. They typically have different OS and Quicktime requirements. Upgrade an Avid system too far, or not far enough for FCP, and you’ll have instability or possibly a completely broken system.

    Michael

  • Michael Hancock

    March 19, 2009 at 3:49 pm in reply to: MC3 mapping keyboard up to 16 Audio tracks

    Do you mean mapped to toggle them on and off? If so, then nope–9 is the limit I believe.

    Michael

  • You could also download the Avid codecs. If you compress to their DV100 codec it should keep about the same file size as your DVCProHD files. Then burn the installer to the disk and tell your client to run the installer first, then watch the quicktimes.

    Get the Avid codecs here:

    Avid Codecs

    Michael

  • Michael Hancock

    March 16, 2009 at 5:41 pm in reply to: Replacing footage within a sequence.

    Mark the Clip (T) and Overwrite (V) with your source clip. That should keep the transitions.

    Michael

  • Michael Hancock

    March 16, 2009 at 3:51 pm in reply to: Why doesn’t playhad move to timecode I enter?

    Do you have Numlock on?

    Also, do you have Timecode displayed on your Source/Record monitors? If you have I/O or Duration or anything other than Timecode as the top display it doesn’t work.

    Michael

  • Michael Hancock

    March 13, 2009 at 2:12 pm in reply to: Learning the basics

    Actually it’s 90+, and here’s a better link to it:

    https://community.avid.com/forums/t/67003.aspx

    Douglas (the guy making the tutorials) has been cranking these things out like clockwork. Very generous and gracious guy. I love his delivery and slower pace. Very easy to follow along, especially for the beginner.

    Michael

  • Michael Hancock

    March 13, 2009 at 3:04 am in reply to: Learning the basics

    Here’s an Avid user who has created probably 60+ tutorials on Avid editing, from the basic to the more advanced.

    https://community.avid.com/members/drbgaijin/default.aspx

    Michael

  • Michael Hancock

    March 12, 2009 at 6:31 pm in reply to: I Tunes

    [Andy Lancaster] “It’s not illegal to edit with music if it is for personal use and not for broadcast or to make a profit from the music.”

    Technically it is. People do it all the time, but you’re supposed to acquire the rights first.

Page 115 of 222

We use anonymous cookies to give you the best experience we can.
Our Privacy policy | GDPR Policy