Forum Replies Created

Page 567 of 668
  • Michael Gissing

    March 2, 2010 at 9:18 pm in reply to: Why is compressor native 637×477 ?

    I never bother as to why defaults are what they are. Someone wrote that into the software so find that person and ask them. Smarter software might assume the last used setting but I just select my preference and keep going with export to quicktime.

    At least with Compressor you only do that once and save your settings.

  • Michael Gissing

    March 2, 2010 at 9:14 pm in reply to: anamorphic pal widescreen 16.9 prset

    FCP has easy setups for PAL 720 x 576 anamorphic. Use those with ProRes codec and then have Compressor make the mpeg2 with the pixel aspect you desire.

  • Do you have Qmaster setup by any chance? I find since enabling it that I have to export a self contained Qt file, shut FCP and then open Compressor if I want to use Qmaster to enable extra cores when encoding, particularly H264.

    Then I can get it to work but not sending from FCP. I have FCP7 and SL.

  • Michael Gissing

    March 1, 2010 at 8:15 pm in reply to: After Effects to FCP

    If you can output ProRes, then that is better than transcoding Animation (8bit) to ProRes (10bit) in FCP.

  • Michael Gissing

    March 1, 2010 at 8:07 pm in reply to: DB limiter in Final Cut 6 (or 7)

    Don’t normalise. This won’t do what you want.

    I suggest you also learn about round tripping to Sound Track Pro which has much better audio tolls than FCP including compressor limiters.

  • Michael Gissing

    February 27, 2010 at 8:30 pm in reply to: Pixelation – Text

    Nothing changed for me going to FCS3. I mostly work in ProRes 1920 x 1080 timelines. I use Boris for rolling credits but often use the FCP title tools for simple supers & subtitles without any grief.

    I always monitor externally but also haven’t noticed anything different on the computer screens.

  • Michael Gissing

    February 27, 2010 at 8:25 pm in reply to: HDV scales by 133 for 1920 timeline?

    Your export file should be 1920 x 1080. The file format (quicktime/AVI etc) & codec will be dictated by what the broadcaster wants.

  • Michael Gissing

    February 27, 2010 at 8:22 pm in reply to: Cross Fade (+3dB)

    There is no adjustment of cross fade curves in FCP. It is not a sophisticated sound editing system.

    If you need to finish the sound properly then exporting to a proper audio system is advised. STP is available and an improvement on FCP but there is always OMF to systems like Fairlight or ProTools. Actually Fairlights can now read XMLs from FCP.

  • Michael Gissing

    February 27, 2010 at 8:17 pm in reply to: Is this even possible?

    Actually the HDW 1800 has a firewire In port but only for HDV data, not DVCPro codec.

    Hdcam is more complicated than digi beta because you have many more options for input signal formats and the machine must be set right. Digi beta records in one format only.

  • Michael Gissing

    February 27, 2010 at 12:35 am in reply to: WTF slow…juddering playback control on FCP

    I suggest you search this forum Blair as the best methodology has been covered here many times. The winning formula is to convert to ProRes via Compressor, fixing frame rate and audio sample rate issues at the same time.

    AIC is an old and not very good codec which has been far and away superseded by ProRes. If you don’t change sample rate and frame rate from the 5D you will be sorry.

    Hard drives are so fast and cheap that there is no reason to transcode to 720 AIC from 1080 H264.

Page 567 of 668

We use anonymous cookies to give you the best experience we can.
Our Privacy policy | GDPR Policy