Creative Communities of the World Forums

The peer to peer support community for media production professionals.

Activity › Forums › Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy › Why is compressor native 637×477 ?

  • Why is compressor native 637×477 ?

    Posted by Ben Baker-smith on March 2, 2010 at 6:44 pm

    I noticed this phenomenon a while back, but have not been able to find an explanation of it.

    Why is it that when exporting 720×480 DV files as quicktime files from Final Cut Pro the “compressor native” and “current” settings sometimes (or all times?) show the resolution to be 637×477 rather than 640×480?

    My interest in this was renewed when I received a clip from a client that was shot 1920×1080 but had been exported as 1882×1062 from final cut pro. I’m guessing the same explanation applies to both of these situations.

    Anybody know what’s going on here? And why?

    Thanks,
    -Ben

    Ben Baker-smith replied 16 years, 7 months ago 3 Members · 4 Replies
  • 4 Replies
  • Jeremy Garchow

    March 2, 2010 at 8:39 pm

    [Ben Baker-Smith] “Anybody know what’s going on here? And why? “

    QUicktime reports the wrong sizes. Bring them in to FCP and you will see the proper sizes.

  • Michael Gissing

    March 2, 2010 at 9:18 pm

    I never bother as to why defaults are what they are. Someone wrote that into the software so find that person and ask them. Smarter software might assume the last used setting but I just select my preference and keep going with export to quicktime.

    At least with Compressor you only do that once and save your settings.

  • Ben Baker-smith

    March 2, 2010 at 9:27 pm

    It displays this even before you’ve created the file. As in, if you select “current” or “compressor native” it populates the height and width boxes in the export window with 637×477

  • Ben Baker-smith

    March 2, 2010 at 9:28 pm

    I agree 100%, I always set exactly what I want.

    For the sake of curiosity, here’s hoping that the guy who wrote the software happens to come across this post 🙂

We use anonymous cookies to give you the best experience we can.
Our Privacy policy | GDPR Policy