Forum Replies Created

Page 556 of 668
  • Michael Gissing

    March 20, 2010 at 5:32 am in reply to: NAS HP MediaSmart EX495 and FCP editing?

    [Rafael Macho] “Surprisingly there is no topic about this question.
    I am planning to buy a HP MediaSmart EX495”

    If you are talking about purely using this as a NAS unit then this very topic was discussed recently

    https://forums.creativecow.net/thread/8/1078182#1078182

    Bob Zelin who frequents this forum has setup Intel Mac server systems using gigabit ethernet but I doubt if you could do this reliably with a windows server or conventional stand alone NAS units.

  • Michael Gissing

    March 19, 2010 at 11:51 pm in reply to: audio only capture

    In log & capture, you can select or deselect tracks – both audio and video. So deselect all but the mono track you need. It doesn’t mixdown, just records discreet tape tracks.

  • Michael Gissing

    March 19, 2010 at 11:50 pm in reply to: Working with HDV, Pro Ress 422 or BlackMagic JPEG

    [Arturo Celleri] “and CAM1 to HDV (only option via firewire”

    I believe you can record ProRes 422 from HDV via firewire. Chris Poisson wrote a tutorial here at the Cow a while ago that outlines this procedure. At the same time, I would record to tape as a backup.

    Given the mixed formats, if you can standardise on ProRes 422 that will give you the cleanest post workflow.

  • Michael Gissing

    March 19, 2010 at 10:03 pm in reply to: Video noise plugin

    I have CHV but after testing the Video Purifier demo, I bought it. It is very good and quick and easy to drive. It also does an excellent job of scaling, with or without NR.

  • Michael Gissing

    March 19, 2010 at 2:14 am in reply to: Choppy Playback in FCP

    I would still recommend redoing the ProRes files with the correct audio sample rate. Maybe do that as a batch overnight to the new drive and then reconnect in the morning to your backed up sequence.

  • Do you still have the laptop to capture with and then swap the drive over to the new machine?

  • I have had no problem with FW400 hard drives into my new MacPro using a 400-800 cable. I haven’t had to plug a deck in that way but I am sure others here are doing just that. I presume you have double checked that iLINK is selected, not 9 pin or QSDI

    It might be as simple as the old trash prefs and repair permissions house keeping, even though it is a newish install.

  • Michael Gissing

    March 18, 2010 at 10:45 pm in reply to: Render Problem ON A DEADLINE

    [Ricky Carr] “The file is very small and it still crashes if i render in clips, so that doesn’t seem to be the problem, but maybe it is, I’m no expert.”

    Have you isolated the problem to one clip? I am not sure I understand what you are saying.

  • Michael Gissing

    March 18, 2010 at 10:32 pm in reply to: 960×720 = 16×9 ???

    Yes there are many cameras that use an anamorphic technique to get 16:9. FCP unstretches it. When you make a still you will need to specify the correct square pixel aspect.

    Stay away from iMovie and DV codec. Compressor does a much better job converting from the HD timeline down to a Standard def mpeg2 files which can then be used in DVD Studio Pro to make a high quality non letterboxed DVD.

  • Michael Gissing

    March 18, 2010 at 10:27 pm in reply to: Render Problem ON A DEADLINE

    Apart from huge image files causing that error message, it can also mean a corrupt file.

    Try rendering just a few clips at a time until you find the culprit. The out of memory error is poorly named as it implies drive or RAM lacking, but I can get it on my machine with buckets of ram and a 4TB RAID with 3.5TB spare.

Page 556 of 668

We use anonymous cookies to give you the best experience we can.
Our Privacy policy | GDPR Policy