Update: the backlash in viewership was so severe, the mattress company has closed and gone out of business.
I would not have done this spot: like Greg, we have almost a fiduciary responsibility to protect our client from stepping on their own… whatever. A former boss came to me and asked me to edit a highway safety spot using footage of a pretty graphic real car accident with fatality: chopper aerials of a driver thrown out of a tumbling car sans seat belt, the car then rolling over him, squish. I said I didn’t think a station would let this pass review, but I wasn’t going to be the enabler that tested that theory. Boss shrugged and re-assigned it to another guy, outside our office, who dutifully cut it. I don’t know that it aired, but I was willing to be fired over that, had it come down to it. Though I was pretty sure the union would have had my back.
Somebody out there is always willing to stoop to do these things. But you know, for the life of me, I can never remember them being proud enough to put it in their reel or submit it to a contest. They don’t, AFAIK, get great promotions out of doing this dirty work either. So you gotta wonder: is it worth the damage to your brand, your professional reputation, to do stuff like this? I can only think of one genre’ where such editors can end up and still find work afterwards.