Joseph W. bourke
Forum Replies Created
-
I can see how impressed clients are going to be when they walk into a suite that has 14 little bricks strung together with Thunderbolt cables, and dozens of necessary outboard peripherals. It will look like an Apple knick-knack shelf!
Joe Bourke
Owner/Creative Director
Bourke Media
http://www.bourkemedia.com -
This is where a good HDMI monitor, or a shoulder rig with a magnifying viewer/eyepiece can be very useful. Another slightly more arcane suggestion is to use the Magic Lantern software:
https://magiclantern.wikia.com/wiki/Magic_Lantern_Firmware_Wiki
This, among other amazing capabilities not built into the Canon 5D Mark II, gives you the ability to do follow focus using the buttons on the camera. It takes a bit of getting used to, but works pretty well. But even with this suggestion, you will want something that magnifies your viewfinder. I personally like the eyepieces:
https://nofilmschool.com/dslr/lcd-viewfinder/
Joe Bourke
Owner/Creative Director
Bourke Media
http://www.bourkemedia.com -
Joseph W. bourke
May 29, 2012 at 4:22 pm in reply to: Large Motion Graphic Project: Workflow issues, do my layers have to be 3D layers?Just in case you didn’t go to the creator’s website, he’s updated Zorro to work with up to AE CS5.5:
https://aescripts.com/zorro-the-layer-tagger/
Joe Bourke
Owner/Creative Director
Bourke Media
http://www.bourkemedia.com -
Joseph W. bourke
May 29, 2012 at 4:14 pm in reply to: Large Motion Graphic Project: Workflow issues, do my layers have to be 3D layers?Emily –
You may want to take a look at Zorro, as script for AE which gives you powers which far surpass the color coding and shy layers you’re using. Check it out:
https://www.adobe.com/cfusion/exchange/index.cfm?event=extensionDetail&extid=1694092
It’s free, but well worth a donation to the programmer.
Joe Bourke
Owner/Creative Director
Bourke Media
http://www.bourkemedia.com -
I believe that layer>transform>auto-orient will do the trick for you. Or here’s another
way around it if that works for you:https://www.motionscript.com/design-guide/auto-orient-y-only.html
Joe Bourke
Owner/Creative Director
Bourke Media
http://www.bourkemedia.com -
Just to weigh in on the rampant Windows problems that Jim refers to – I’ve got a 5 year old PC, on which I ran Photoshop, Illustrator, 3DS Max, and a boatload of other ancillary graphics and video production software for those years, and never once did I have a required re-install every year (that strikes me as one of those urban myths perpetrated by rabid mac users). I also have a main dual quad core workstation running Vista 64-bit OS, with the CS4 Production Premium, CS5.5 Master Collection, and I’m about to install the CS6 MC – two or three years running daily – no OS re-install – I just do the here and there brainless service pack install. No problems. I also own an I7 Thinkpad laptop (only a year old) with the CS5 Master Collection and Win7 – no problems, no reinstalls.
Methinks thou dost protest too much against Windows. Maybe the people who had Windows systems when you were a VAR should have been working on Macs – there’s a certain basic level of technical expertise required to run a Windows box – but if you’re not a total technical sad-sack, it’s pretty simple. It sounds as if you made the right choice going with the Mac platform, but I, for one, will take my Windows PC any day – and I’ve worked on both, having had waaaay more problems when I was working on Macs, which was quite a while back, but that still remains my perception of Macs. It’s just a choice, not a religion…
Joe Bourke
Owner/Creative Director
Bourke Media
http://www.bourkemedia.com -
One other thought, SPACEMAN…the codec appears to be for broadcast streaming, so it’s probably not the highest quality you’re going to find – if you have to take it into AE, and then output it, you may end up with something less than great looking.
I would ask the supplier of the clips whether they can give you something better (uncompressed Quicktime, or even frames (.png, .tga). You’ll end up with a better final product.
Joe Bourke
Owner/Creative Director
Bourke Media
http://www.bourkemedia.com -
SPACEMAN –
Here’s what I could find on the codec – it appears to be available for the PC (not free, however), and it’s a Quicktime variation:
https://www.nanocosmos.de/v3/en/quicktimeIMX.html
Can the footage from the ingest system be provided in a different codec? Some info on your output codec and aspect ratio would be helpful.
Joe Bourke
Owner/Creative Director
Bourke Media
http://www.bourkemedia.com -
SPACEMAN needs to learn to ask questions in a concise and clear way, so that people in a position to help are not put off by SPACEMAN’s cryptic jargon.
Joe Bourke
Owner/Creative Director
Bourke Media
http://www.bourkemedia.com -
Good memory, Dave, but the switch to turn off Proportional Spacing is in the Numbers Effect, not in the Character or Paragraph panels. I think the only way to utilize it is to make number animations monospace so that they don’t jump around when they’re counting up or down.
Joe Bourke
Owner/Creative Director
Bourke Media
http://www.bourkemedia.com