Forum Replies Created

Page 205 of 282
  • Joseph W. bourke

    June 28, 2012 at 2:10 pm in reply to: AE Pet Peeve – Importing Files

    Maybe if you think about it as a “push” operation as opposed to a “pull” one, it will get you there quicker – I use Bridge to track and manage all of my project files, and any project I’m working on is saved in the Favorites tab. It’s a simple matter to open Bridge (which is usually open anyway), view the files I’m about to use, sort or select them, then drag and drop into AE.

    The whole sort/select process I’m talking about is done before hand, so it’s really a one step operation. I pick my selects, then either label or keyword them in Bridge, so with a single click, I can be looking at just the files I’m about to import (.mov for example). I then Shift or Control select and drag them into the Project in AE.

    Joe Bourke
    Owner/Creative Director
    Bourke Media
    http://www.bourkemedia.com

  • Joseph W. bourke

    June 26, 2012 at 8:49 pm in reply to: Buying Old Versions of Creative Suite?

    Andy –

    I’ve had pretty good luck on *bay. I purchased the CS4 Production Premium suite well after it was released – I’m not sure whether CS5 had come out yet. I was able to buy a legal copy for a fraction of what the full msrp was. It was still a chunk of change, as I remember, but probable a third of the full retail price, and it was legal, and registered with Adobe just fine.

    Bear in mind that anything you see for sale out there that’s an amazingly good deal is most likely a hacked version that you’ll never be able to register. I use my Creative Suites – I own two seats, one of Production Premium, and one of the Master Collection, to run my business, and there’s no way I’ll run a hacked/cracked version.

    When you’re considering making the purchase, especially on *bay, make sure you email the seller and ask whether you can register the product with Adobe, and if it will not register, that they’ll refund the money. In this way, you’ll get a refund from Ebay if it’s not legit. Also check with Adobe to make sure you can still register an older copy – here’s a good place to start:

    https://www.adobe.com/products/creativesuite/faq.html

    Joe Bourke
    Owner/Creative Director
    Bourke Media
    http://www.bourkemedia.com

  • Adobe is basically using the honor system to make sure that you’re not, for example, installing on a desktop and a laptop, then working in AE while a production assistant or editor works in PPro. It would be fine with them if you were working in AE on your desktop, then switching hats and jumping to your laptop to work in PPro, but not both at the same time.

    I would assume that with the technology available today, and the fact that you’re registered online with Adobe, that they could tell if you’re using the same licensed software at the same time on two machines. Maybe someone from Adobe can weigh in here.

    Joe Bourke
    Owner/Creative Director
    Bourke Media
    http://www.bourkemedia.com

  • I use these guys, called “one-wrap” ties, from Velcro – I buy them in a roll at Home Depot – a fifty pack roll is under five dollars:

    https://www.velcro.com/en/Products/Ties-and-Straps/Ties/One-Wrap-Ties.aspx

    They come in black and grey, so I can use whatever color I want to have them disappear or stand out, if needed. The 8 inch x 1/4 inch ones give me enough play to wrap the part of a cable I don’t use with the beginning of the tie, then do the wrap up of the “live” cable with what’s left. They work way better than tape, and no residue.

    Joe Bourke
    Owner/Creative Director
    Bourke Media
    http://www.bourkemedia.com

  • Joseph W. bourke

    June 25, 2012 at 4:39 pm in reply to: AE and Vegas Rendering Workflow Retardation

    As the others have suggested, you may want to try one of the Motion JPEG Quicktime formats. I’ve had very good luck with Motion J-peg A at 90 percent quality. It holds up very well, and is way smaller than say, QT Animation uncompressed.

    Joe Bourke
    Owner/Creative Director
    Bourke Media
    http://www.bourkemedia.com

  • Dynamic Link is a separate, although small, piece of software that gets installed (and is only available to) installations of the Creative Suites (either Production Premium or Master Collection, as I remember). That’s the path to take in your investigation – did you install this as part of your CS installation?

    Joe Bourke
    Owner/Creative Director
    Bourke Media
    http://www.bourkemedia.com

  • Jeff –

    Take a look at the Fotga DP500 rig – I don’t think you can get any cheaper than that, especially when there’s a Best Offer on *bay, which does happen now and then. I own the rig, with the quick release, follow focus, and a few other 1/4 20 connection pieces, and it’s solid as a (red)rock.

    You should be able to get the rail system with tripod mount, quick release plate, and long lens support for about 100 bucks, then the follow focus for a little more than that. Other elements you need can be added, such as a flex arm, for pretty cheap. Bear in mind that these are coming from China, most likely, so you’ll have to wait a while, but for me, the savings were worth it, and the Fotga DP500 system is just as good as the “caviar” models.

    Joe Bourke
    Owner/Creative Director
    Bourke Media
    http://www.bourkemedia.com

  • Joseph W. bourke

    June 22, 2012 at 10:03 pm in reply to: Happy 1 Year Birthday for FCP X

    You are correct in your assumption, Andrew. This is selective cutting, done so as to minimize the collateral damage to the surrounding forest, and to maintain a forestry plan which might include maple sugaring, cord wood sales (and personal use), as well as the occasional large saw logs for sale to the local mill. You don’t need a nuclear warhead to swat a fly.

    Joe Bourke
    Owner/Creative Director
    Bourke Media
    http://www.bourkemedia.com

  • Joseph W. bourke

    June 22, 2012 at 2:53 pm in reply to: Create a 360º grunge background

    Bear in mind that any investment in software that you make while you’re a student will help you to earn more when you’re not a student any longer.

    Also bear in mind that you can often find fully legal copies of the Red Giant Trapcode Suite, which includes Horizon and a LOT more, for almost the price of just Horizon, on Ebay. You have to shop carefully, and make sure the feedback on the seller is very good, then email them to verify that if the software is not the real thing, you will get a refund. It sounds like a pain, but I ended up getting legal copies of the Trapcode Suite, Effects Suite, and Magic Bullet Suite, for a fraction of the full price – and they’re legal.

    Joe Bourke
    Owner/Creative Director
    Bourke Media
    http://www.bourkemedia.com

  • Joseph W. bourke

    June 22, 2012 at 1:57 pm in reply to: Create a 360º grunge background

    Hi Nuno –

    This could be the best 99 dollars you ever spend! It does just as you describe, and quite a bit more:

    https://www.redgiantsoftware.com/products/all/trapcode-horizon/

    Joe Bourke
    Owner/Creative Director
    Bourke Media
    http://www.bourkemedia.com

Page 205 of 282

We use anonymous cookies to give you the best experience we can.
Our Privacy policy | GDPR Policy