Joseph W. bourke
Forum Replies Created
-
I can’t think of a faster way to be considered bush league by my clients than when they send me a Photoshop or Illustrator file and I tell them I can’t open it.
And this guy thinks Motion is better than After Effects – it’s a toy! Presets for the talentless!
Joe Bourke
Owner/Creative Director
Bourke Media
http://www.bourkemedia.com -
I dont’ think there is a Rumble filter in the sense of a labeled preset. You would most likely do this in the EQ section:
https://helpx.adobe.com/audition/using/filter-equalizer-effects.html
Or use a sample of your rumble (noise floor), then remove that from the clip – a very easy process. Here are some useful charts of audio sound frequency, in case you don’t already have one:
https://audiofederation.com/blog/archives/899
Joe Bourke
Owner/Creative Director
Bourke Media
http://www.bourkemedia.com -
Joseph W. bourke
July 6, 2012 at 3:35 am in reply to: Anyone have any any ideas how long it would take to recreate this in After Effects?I own and use The Foundry’s Camera Tracker for AE – it has a relatively steep learning curve (nothing like 3D Studio, mind you – I’ve been working with that for over 10 years and I’m lucky if I know 20 percent of the features), but that said, it’s very powerful, and can do some difficult 3D tracks.
I just installed the Adobe CS6 Master Collection, and started doing the 3D tracks which I’d used the Foundry’s tracker for, and I must say that right out of the box, it nailed things that would have taken quite a bit more time in The Foundry tracker. I haven’t gone much under the hood with it, but it appears that there’s not much need to go under the hood and fiddle with point cloud accuracy and all that hoorah. I do think Boujou is overkill for the project you’re looking at; I see it as an investment for shops which specialize in SFX projects. I’d say that if you’re ready to make the jump to CS6, you could definitely accomplish the tracks in your sample video with AE’s new feature.
Joe Bourke
Owner/Creative Director
Bourke Media
http://www.bourkemedia.com -
Joseph W. bourke
July 4, 2012 at 7:59 pm in reply to: Anyone have any any ideas how long it would take to recreate this in After Effects?Estelle –
I generally quote projects like this by starting out with a sheet of paper – I write down each element as I roll through the sample. Then I write down each element and what is involved (ie, tracking, text animation, etc.). I then put this into a spreadsheet which contains my hourly rate, and log how many hours each of these elements will take me to complete. If I’m doing the edit as well, I put in how many hours of editing to complete the piece.
When I’m done I have a very close match to what the final billing will be. It looks as if it’s a combination of 3D tracking (look at AE CS6 for this one) and text animation. Nothing too complicated, but lots of it. If you haven’t done this before, I suggest that you find a piece of stock footage, do a track on it, and log how long it takes you. Same with the text. You’ll be able to hit the quote right on the money. With this process I generally am able to put my quotes within plus or minus 10 percent of my initially figuring. If the client seems as if they will be difficult, add a 10 to 15 percent contingency fee on top of it, to cover your time on uncalled for revisions. Some clients love to make changes just to hear the sound of their voice. Good luck!
Joe Bourke
Owner/Creative Director
Bourke Media
http://www.bourkemedia.com -
Another interesting facet of the whole tape vs file delivery is that with tape, you know what you’re getting delivered. At my old station it was Beta SP, lower field first, 29.97fps.
With file delivery, the encoding is all over the place, even though the station posts a list of the possible digital submission specs. I see spots that are so burning hot, that the cones practically jump off my speakers, judder and frame errors that cause moving images to stutter all over the screen. It’s pretty lame – the level of commercial playback quality has dropped through the floor. I don’t know whether anyone even uses bars and tone any more – it doesn’t look that way.
Joe Bourke
Owner/Creative Director
Bourke Media
http://www.bourkemedia.com -
Tape is not going to be dead for a long, long time. At least until the last machine dies and there are no parts for it. The broadcast station I worked at for fourteen years had its main news archive on 3/4 inch and beta SP tape, and also had some early stuff on 1 inch and 16mm film. It’s too expensive (and you have to have an archivist on staff – that ain’t gonna happen at a broadcast station, believe me) to put all of that footage on digital media. Even most of their commercial production archive (raw footage, masters with no graphics, that sort of stuff) is on 3/4 and Beta.
I read somewhere once that the only valid archival medium is 35mm film, because there will always be machines to play it back, and it doesn’t degrade the way tape stock does. A lot of what’s in the Library of Congress is on paper prints – I don’t understand how that works, I’m guessing it’s like a contact print in still photography – I’ll have to read up on it.
Joe Bourke
Owner/Creative Director
Bourke Media
http://www.bourkemedia.com -
I’m with you there, Bill. I use the most current tools at hand, and I neither find myself lonely, nor overly narcissistic. It just seems that people in general rely more and more on the impersonal aspects of the technology, rather than the ones that enable us to have better quality connections, and more, rather than less personal contact. I hope I’m wrong.
Joe Bourke
Owner/Creative Director
Bourke Media
http://www.bourkemedia.com -
Here’s some more information which I just posted on my Blog yesterday, with links to some very useful tests done by Studio 1 Productions:
https://bourkemedia.com/cs6-nvidia-card/
It details my own experience with a GeForce GTX 260, and how I customized Adobe’s card list text file, plus it has links to very detailed information on performance of the various Nvidia cards. It was not difficult at all to do the file change.
Joe Bourke
Owner/Creative Director
Bourke Media
http://www.bourkemedia.com -
Hi Bill –
I take issue with “constant connection improves ones life”. I firmly believe that constant connection on faceless, voiceless (for the most part – I know very few people under 30 who do more than text on their phones) devices is what’s killing this world.
You’ve got generations of people who are constantly in contact, sending funny cat videos and jokes they didn’t even write themselves, to people who are so bored and lonely that they actually think that this faux communication constitutes “connection”.
Here’s a link to a very interesting (albeit long) article from the Atlantic which explores just what I’m talking about:
https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2012/05/is-facebook-making-us-lonely/8930/#
Joe Bourke
Owner/Creative Director
Bourke Media
http://www.bourkemedia.com -
Joseph W. bourke
June 28, 2012 at 7:21 pm in reply to: Chroma Key: Hair isn’t the problem. Host shaking her head IS!You might try a pass with the Roto Brush, just on that section of her neck.
Joe Bourke
Owner/Creative Director
Bourke Media
http://www.bourkemedia.com