Forum Replies Created

Page 203 of 282
  • I remember reading somewhere when I was in the process of researching my T2i purchase that people were having problems with color temperature shift as the camera heated up (after about 20 minutes of recording, I think).

    I also remember that some of the solutions were to disable the LCD display once focus was achieved, and of course to install Magic Lantern to give you more control of white balance and color temperature.

    Joe Bourke
    Owner/Creative Director
    Bourke Media
    http://www.bourkemedia.com

  • Joseph W. bourke

    July 14, 2012 at 2:22 pm in reply to: Composition settings

    Hi Lori –

    It is confusing. If you’re delivering for broadcast, call the production person at the station you’re working with. They will send you (or sometimes it’s online) a spec sheet which gives you the codecs, audio formats, aspect ratios and raster image sizes which they accept.

    Generally, the ones I’ve run into are 1920 x 1080, and 1280 x 720. Most of them still accept SD relolution spots (they won’t turn down anything, essentially). Center cut means a screen which will fit standard definition “cut” out of the center of a high definition screen. If you watch newscasts, notice that the lower third graphics all sit within a frame which would be standard def if chopped out of the middle. This is how you create your graphics for projects which might be used for both SD and HD. After Effects even has a safe frame setting which gives you both SD and HD in one set, so you can eyeball where your cut would happen when played back standard def.

    Get the spec sheets form your local stations and it will all become clear – well, as clear as a muddy pond gets. I create a “master” project at 1920 x 1080, either from AE or PPro, then use Adobe Media encoder to create my deliverables from that.

    Joe Bourke
    Owner/Creative Director
    Bourke Media
    http://www.bourkemedia.com

  • Joseph W. bourke

    July 12, 2012 at 3:38 pm in reply to: Alternative Application for Media Production

    Hi Scott –

    I think we’re pretty much in agreement. I cut down saplings with my hatchet (or bowsaw) pretty regularly, but I try to spare the planet the fumes and oil drippings of my chainsaw. But I do use both, depending on the project at hand.

    I may have given Motion short shrift, and I have used it a bit at a client’s office, since I was creating Photoshop templates for an on-air broadcast look that had to go to Motion/FCP7. I just didn’t like the superficial friendly feel of the interface. Don’t ask me to explain that – it was just a gut reaction.

    I agree with both you and Walter. The alternative tools can
    get the job done, but for a day-to-day workflow, I like the mainstream tools. That said, I just purchased Element 3D, and I have owned, and been using 3D Studio Max for years.

    Joe Bourke
    Owner/Creative Director
    Bourke Media
    http://www.bourkemedia.com

  • Joseph W. bourke

    July 12, 2012 at 3:17 pm in reply to: Element 3D crashes AE

    Hi Bud –

    I’m using Vista Business 64-bit, and an Nvidia GeForce GTX-260 with the latest version of the drivers (301.42).

    If you’re watching the whole “official” Nvidia card for CS6 discussion, you may notice that many people claim to have “hacked” their Nvidia list (which is just a text file), and are having success with it. I’m one of them. Here’s a link to a recent blog post of mine that gives the details:

    https://bourkemedia.com/cs6-nvidia-card/

    It was simple, but you had to follow the directions to the letter.

    Joe Bourke
    Owner/Creative Director
    Bourke Media
    http://www.bourkemedia.com

  • Joseph W. bourke

    July 12, 2012 at 1:56 am in reply to: Element 3D crashes AE

    Hi Bud –

    I purchased it yesterday, and have not had a problem yet, other than having to install the Motion Graphic Pack a second time for it to show up in the Element folders.

    That said, my frame of reference (hardware anyway) is different, since I’m running Element on a quad core PC with 8GB of RAM – I thought it would be a bit weak for CS6 and Element, but it is working quite well.

    Have you logged on to the support site yet? There are a lot of people weighing in on the successes and problems – there may be one who shares your problem. Sorry I can’t suggest specific help.

    Joe Bourke
    Owner/Creative Director
    Bourke Media
    http://www.bourkemedia.com

  • Okay –

    For anyone who’s interested, I found the Models, Bevels, and Materials folders in My Documents under my User name, in a Folder called VideoCopilot. This makes sense, although it might be nice to make the path customizable in order to access collections which live elsewhere.

    Under Models, you will find the folders that show up in the interface in Element, allowing you to import from the collections. I also notice that the Starter Pack folder has a sub-folder called Maps. Is it possible that I need to create a Maps folder for .obj files to find their materials? There’s also a .txt file in a folder called My_Models, but it’s blank. Is there going to be some direction on how to use this coming down the pike?

    Under bevels, all of the files seem to be a .ebf extension – is this a proprietary profile format. My searches on the web seem to turn up nada as to the format.

    Back to the .e3d format – here’s a link to the EdgeLib site – it seems to be home for the .e3d:

    https://www.edgelib.com/index.php?node=1076

    I notice that they say animations can be baked into the format – does this mean that now, or some time, animated models will work in Element. This would be huge for things like the liquid models in the Motion Graphics Pack. Anyway…to paraphrase Mark Twain, “If I had more time I would have written a shorter message.”

    Joe Bourke
    Owner/Creative Director
    Bourke Media
    http://www.bourkemedia.com

  • Joseph W. bourke

    July 10, 2012 at 4:57 pm in reply to: Alternative Application for Media Production

    Well put Walter – you don’t need a chainsaw to cut down a sapling, but you sure don’t want to use a hatchet to cut down a 40 foot tall oak tree. The right tool for the job, and don’t mock someone else’s tools, especially if you don’t understand them.

    Joe Bourke
    Owner/Creative Director
    Bourke Media
    http://www.bourkemedia.com

  • Joseph W. bourke

    July 9, 2012 at 5:40 pm in reply to: ProRes Files not opening in Premiere Pro CS6

    Sorry about that – I meant to write PPro CS6, not AE

    Joe Bourke
    Owner/Creative Director
    Bourke Media
    http://www.bourkemedia.com

  • Joseph W. bourke

    July 9, 2012 at 5:39 pm in reply to: ProRes Files not opening in Premiere Pro CS6

    Have you done any updates of QT lately, or are updates automatically happening? 7.6.6 is supposedly the “standard” for QT on AE CS6. You may want to check whether that has changed on your system.

    Joe Bourke
    Owner/Creative Director
    Bourke Media
    http://www.bourkemedia.com

  • Joseph W. bourke

    July 9, 2012 at 4:20 pm in reply to: Alternative Application for Media Production

    I’m with you Pat – while there is no shame in using budget/free tools to accomplish a project (especially a one-person shop project), there is a certain level of expectations from the client-side when you dip your toes into the “real” production world. I’m not even going to try and define “real” – everyone’s reality here varies.

    What I’m saying is that my clients expect me to have the “pro” stable of tools available. Now that could be Adobe, Apple, or AVID tools, but the general expectation is that you’ve got Photoshop and Illustrator to do logo and still prep work, then AE and PPro, FCP and Motion, or AVID tools to do the editing. There’s always going to be someone who will create Toy Story on a cellphone, but that’s the exception, rather than the rule. It is good to shake up the market, however, and make the big boys realize there is always some small dog breathing at their back, who, in one fell swoop, could suddenly become the big dog.

    Joe Bourke
    Owner/Creative Director
    Bourke Media
    http://www.bourkemedia.com

Page 203 of 282

We use anonymous cookies to give you the best experience we can.
Our Privacy policy | GDPR Policy