Forum Replies Created

Page 115 of 196
  • I’m running under 10.6.8 with a command boot into 64-bit.

    Upgrading my MacBook Pro to Lion launched an Apple seek-and-destroy mission that I would be unwilling to unleash on my front-line machines.

    jPo

    “I always pass on free advice — its never of any use to me” Oscar Wilde.

  • Joseph Owens

    September 13, 2012 at 9:07 pm in reply to: Upgrading mid-project

    [Sascha Haber] “The pony Express ALWAYS changed horses midways ;)”

    Multithreading. 1860-style.

    jPo

    “I always pass on free advice — its never of any use to me” Oscar Wilde.

  • Joseph Owens

    September 13, 2012 at 6:01 pm in reply to: i-aPPLE

    What is missing from the discussion is:

    Is McKayla finally impressed?

    jPo

    “I always pass on free advice — its never of any use to me” Oscar Wilde.

  • Joseph Owens

    September 13, 2012 at 4:32 pm in reply to: Upgrading mid-project

    Generally it is NEVER, NEVER, NEVER, NEVER x10^9 a good idea to change horses midstream — with the one in a billion chance that a point release, not a version release, will cure a bug.

    If you were to attempt a version change, I would save every grade in the original version and be prepared to hand copy them back into the migrated project. The grades, individually, are very likely to be valid, but as has been discussed, the actual image adjustments are only a small part of the overall workflow in terms of stages that are likely to be (in engineering terminology) f***d up.

    jPo

    “I always pass on free advice — its never of any use to me” Oscar Wilde.

  • Joseph Owens

    September 12, 2012 at 3:17 pm in reply to: Carlton look

    I might just be “stirring the p*ss”, but it looks a lot like just leaving it in S-Log and if the dP was consistent with exposure, just even it out with a bit of vintage coral.

    jPo

    “I always pass on free advice — its never of any use to me” Oscar Wilde.

  • Joseph Owens

    September 12, 2012 at 3:12 pm in reply to: Can you unlock the master timeline?

    [Bruce Goodman] “I can’t unlock the master timeline”

    You’ve clicked the little padlock on that layer in the Conform window?

    jPo

    “I always pass on free advice — its never of any use to me” Oscar Wilde.

  • Joseph Owens

    September 11, 2012 at 5:02 pm in reply to: 6.5 is out there…

    [Warren Eig] “no update protection and another $500.”

    Yeah, I have my suspicions about this. Feels like a bait-and-switch.

    All you Final Cut people? Tell us your key numbers and we’ll hook you up with MC or Symphony for just under a thou’. But… then… point upgrades cost, and if you skip one? Then a full upgrade… which would be? Thousands.

    They still haven’t fixed enough to prompt me to do a full change over. No VANC-out from third-party (ie. Closed Captions to tape)? Maybe they will say that “nobody does that anymore”, and that would be ‘unfortunate’.

    jPo

    “I always pass on free advice — its never of any use to me” Oscar Wilde.

  • [Michelle Orpe] “How do I get my 56GB file onto a USB for her, do I have to use MPEGSTREAMCLIP to make a MP4 or something.”

    Or something. You can get fairly reasonable results using the default “AppleTV” setting in Compressor — if you are clever with the bitrate, you can get away with around a 2GB file, albeit at 1280×720, which is still technically HD. It will be an H264-codec file, and should still look pretty good. It will look fantastic on a small screen like an iPhone or iPad.

    I rarely use DVDSP anymore, (doesn’t support BluRay), but have always made m2v and ac3 files before authoring DVDs — can’t bring myself to trust DVDSP to do it right since very few other Apple-original software seems to be able to accomplish these tasks correctly.

    jPo

    “I always pass on free advice — its never of any use to me” Oscar Wilde.

  • Joseph Owens

    September 11, 2012 at 4:42 pm in reply to: Can’t Playback Audio Channels from Timeline

    [Amy Lafleche] “The first 4 work fine. I can play 5 and 6 in preview but I can’t hear it when I playback from the timeline. “

    Check your sequence settings for number of channels, channel assignments, whether your #5/6 channels are rerouted to an inactive output… etc.

    jPo

    “I always pass on free advice — its never of any use to me” Oscar Wilde.

  • Joseph Owens

    September 10, 2012 at 7:05 pm in reply to: Commercial advantages

    [Bill Davis] “To my eye, there was little lighting beyond the adept use of natural light and some bounce fill.

    That’s where a DSLR that can use a f2 lens and generates a darn clean signal at ISO 2500 enables a new agile and compact approach to high quality remote work.

    Nothing more than that.”

    Okay, then… so looking at the piece with a colorist’s eye…. The way most of the costuming *pops* (especially the blue uniforms in the classroom and the red outfit the performer is wearing) suggests there was also a massive amount of grade/correction involved– and usually is when sourcing DSLR.

    Sweet little tune, Hans Zimmer might find it somewhat familiar, “I’m from Kenya, I’ve got an itch in my bra” occurs to me…(The kids have been singing that, parodying “Circle of Life” if the joke is opaque). Could stand being about 2:57… 4:whatever-it-is seems a bit heavy, if not slightly self-indulgent. But what else do you do with all that footage?

    jPo

    “I always pass on free advice — its never of any use to me” Oscar Wilde.

Page 115 of 196

We use anonymous cookies to give you the best experience we can.
Our Privacy policy | GDPR Policy