Forum Replies Created

Page 107 of 196
  • Joseph Owens

    November 8, 2012 at 4:55 pm in reply to: Apple FCPX or Not: The Debate??? why?

    I did a search.

    “Master Debaters” did not come up.

    Maybe: “FCPX – the single-handed view”… or “FCP-X… OTOH…”

    jPo

    “I always pass on free advice — its never of any use to me” Oscar Wilde.

  • Joseph Owens

    November 7, 2012 at 6:19 pm in reply to: Upscale/upres DVCPro HD 720p material to 1080p

    [Juan Morales] “Any ideas and thoughts are most welcome :)”

    Well, lets run this one up the flag pole. If you have a couple of SDI systems, Kona / Decklink, why not play out the DVCPro clips to the other system and capture wild 1080ProRes (simulates a Teranex hardware uprez)? I capture uprezzed from tape often and once did a 720P documentary playout-to-capture (48 minute show) with this technique. Passed QC… deposited the cheque.

    The Decklink does a nice 2:3 cadence conversion for 23.98–>29.97 as well, and it takes (real time) as opposed to roughly 20 times program length for a (Compressor) software conversion.

    jPo

    “I always pass on free advice — its never of any use to me” Oscar Wilde.

  • [Pepijn Klijs] ” color temperature on these raw files.”

    + 1/2.

    Not interested in color temperature control for ProRes. RAW it makes sense for, but generally speaking any of the color temperature problems I’ve had to solve are cross-lit (practcial tungsten incandescents in an overall fluorescent environment with day spill), so no one solution works anyway.

    If you have to use that much blur, maybe a better solution would be a matte generator.

    So, what you really want is Apple COLOR’s FX room.

    jPo

    “I always pass on free advice — its never of any use to me” Oscar Wilde.

  • Joseph Owens

    October 30, 2012 at 11:57 pm in reply to: green screen footage without motion markers

    [Mark Suszko] “(People still own/use Shake?)”

    Oh, yes.

    Some days I don’t know what I’d do without it. Its a no-BS scripting application that lets you build your own FX, has an infinite workspace and is the last line of defence against corrupt or non-standard files.

    Of course being a really useful application meant that Apple had no use for it. I could almost see it occupying a kind of cult environment like the old Papyrus Grand Prix Legends game that was “too hard” for gamers, but immensely (and still!) popular with people who know how to drive.

    On the green screen, if your background has any irregularities, like drop cloth folds or paint marks, sometimes that is enough to grab hold of with a point tracker. I prefer MochaPro now, which can deal with unmarked elements, as long as you can define a plane.

    jPo

    “I always pass on free advice — its never of any use to me” Oscar Wilde.

  • Joseph Owens

    October 30, 2012 at 4:08 pm in reply to: Smoothing out wrinkles

    Depending on whether you really want to commit to electronic makeup in a grading application, there are some tutorials and threads floating around on generating edge detection trees and applying blur to those, which is what most of the VFX plugins do. The biggest challenge with almost all of them is working around the noise and compression chatter in the codecs that are the usual suspects.

    jPo

    “I always pass on free advice — its never of any use to me” Oscar Wilde.

  • Joseph Owens

    October 29, 2012 at 5:17 pm in reply to: Captions – duration

    If what you are talking about are actually subtitles then you may not have any choice about how long to keep them on screen — sync is the overriding factor.

    jPo

    “I always pass on free advice — its never of any use to me” Oscar Wilde.

  • Joseph Owens

    October 26, 2012 at 6:31 pm in reply to: Node Graph bug

    Are you getting replies to these threads?

    For some reason nothing from you seems to show up on the Resolve forum as it previews in my browser.

    You also seem to be reporting a very high number of “bugs”. Does anything work as you expect it to?
    For example, drag and drop nodes to the Nodes window has never failed for me — you do need to drop the node icon exactly on top of the connector… you cannot simply drop it anywhere in the window.
    Have you checked to make sure your configuration is compliant with Blackmagic Design’s recommendations?

    jPo

    “I always pass on free advice — its never of any use to me” Oscar Wilde.

  • Joseph Owens

    October 25, 2012 at 11:13 pm in reply to: File Conversion Question

    Do you know anyone who has Adobe Media Encoder? Might be an option as it is fairly agnostic.

    jPo

    “I always pass on free advice — its never of any use to me” Oscar Wilde.

  • Joseph Owens

    October 25, 2012 at 11:08 pm in reply to: Resolve External Monitor

    [jeff walsh] “. I purchased the AJA T-tap system. I am running a Thunderbolt cable to the T-tap, then a SDI out to the monitor.”

    This is something the configuration manual recommends?

    jPo

    “I always pass on free advice — its never of any use to me” Oscar Wilde.

  • Never heard of any automated interventions like this.

    The only real suggestion might be to try to make your sequences as foolproof as possible. Where certain operations are known to be very time consuming or flaky — bake them out and re-imbed them so “done once” and don’t commit the time to doing it again, or lose nights due to a hung system.

    jPo

    “I always pass on free advice — its never of any use to me” Oscar Wilde.

Page 107 of 196

We use anonymous cookies to give you the best experience we can.
Our Privacy policy | GDPR Policy