> 1. There is no mention in the product blurb that DVD Architect will create AVCHD disks
What do you mean by “AVCHD disk“? There are DVD’s and there are Blu-ray discs. I’ve never heard of an AVCHD disk. What type of player do you watch this in? Please explain what you meant.
> 2. You mentioned 720p blu-ray, but its 720p AVCHD that I need
Yes, Blu-ray is a disc format and it supports playing 720p AVCHD video. This is like DVD supports MPEG2… Blu-ray discs can have either MPEG2 or AVCHD content. Most people will want to print their AVCHD to Blu-ray which is why DVD Architect supports it.
> 3. If DVD Architect will do the job exactly how do I get my project out of Vegas (currently in AVCHD form) and into DVD architect without a horrendous amount of transcoding?
There is no way to get your project out of Vegas with performing a render. If all your edits were straight cuts with no other alterations (i.e, FX), Vegas Pro 9.0 will smart render in that it will simply copy the source to target unchanged. Otherwise all of your edits will need to be rendered to create new frames with the FX you have applied.
You should render your project using an AVCHD template that is closest to your source. Vegas only supports AVCHD templates at 1920x1080i and 1440x1080i. You will need to create your own. I would start with the Sony AVC render type using the Internet 16:9 HD 30p template and raise the bitrate to match your source files. This seems to be the closest to your original camera footage.
Note: This is just a guess. My AVCHD camera shoots 1920x1080i so I have not had to deal with 720p footage. You might want to post on the Panasonic forums here at the Cow and see what others who have this camera are doing.
Things to consider: As a video “editor“… I would never buy a camera unless I know how I am going to edit the footage. That’s one of the reason’s I bought a Sony CX12 (‘cuz I already knew people were editing CX12 footage with Sony Vegas)
Good Luck,
~jr
http://www.johnrofrano.com
http://www.vasst.com