Forum Replies Created

Page 288 of 413
  • John Pale

    March 12, 2009 at 3:29 am in reply to: I Tunes

    iTunes will be DRM free very soon…so the technical issue will be moot (though the legal issue will remain).

    It’s considered inappropriate (and possibly illegal) for us to tell you how to get around the DRM issue on this forum (though the answer to the problem is so obvious that you aren’t thinking of it…just use the Google and you will find it elsewhere).

  • John Pale

    March 10, 2009 at 3:30 am in reply to: My FW 800 G-RAID2 Became Slower?

    If you just deleted stuff without erasing/reformatting, you are probably seeing the results of file fragmentation.

  • The G-RAID will slow down when it becomes that full.

    Copy all the unnecessary media to another FW drive (doesn’t have to be a costly nice RAID).

    Drives are cheap today. Just get a 1TB raid for backup. Maybe buy two for safety, if this stuff is important. Copy everything back to the RAID if you need to edit with it in the future.

    It would be preferable to erase/reformat the G-RAID, as it will eliminate fragmentation when you ‘refill’ it.

  • John Pale

    March 2, 2009 at 5:59 pm in reply to: Pal SVHS to SD DVD best settings.

    [Rob Evans] “While on this subject. I’ve noticed that occasioanlly broadcasters show old footage that has black bands down either side of the picture. I assume this is because the footage was shot using 4:3 aspect ratio. But occasionally other footage is shown and the black bands are missing! Why is that, and how does that relate to what I am trying to do?”

    They have zoomed in on the footage, cropping off the top and bottom to make it fill the 16:9 frame.
    You are degrading the image doing this, but the tradeoff may be acceptable in some cases. Compressor actually does a very good job of this (better than within FCP) when the resize is done at Best Quality in the Frame Controls. Note, in Compressor you cannot keyframe the position of the crop, as you can in FCP.

  • John Pale

    February 28, 2009 at 5:51 pm in reply to: What would I need to online an HDCAM film…

    Hard to say without actually seeing the film how much using DVCPRO HD will degrade it over uncompressed. Lighting conditions and shot composition have a lot to do with whether the compression will be noticeable. If you have the ability to do some tests with some of your most demanding shots, it might be helpful. Many people do very high quality work with DVCPRO HD every day, but it has its limitations. I’ve had some work that I have done using the DVCPRO HD codec projected in a large theater (The Orpheum in LA) and it looked very nice.

  • John Pale

    February 28, 2009 at 5:33 pm in reply to: Why will FCPro render the same format?

    Color does not support every codec that FCP does.

  • John Pale

    February 27, 2009 at 6:10 pm in reply to: What would I need to online an HDCAM film…

    [Chi-Ho Lee] “ouldn’t the IO HD bypass his G5 bottle neck if they really want to use ProRes?”

    No. The iO HD is supported for Intel or Power Mac G5 Quad only. The G5 Dual Core 2.3 will not cut it. Also, read Gary’s posts about his test of ProRes on the G5…definitely not the right tool for the job.

    As far as the Dual Core 2.3 G5 being PCIx or PCIe….I have no idea now. No matter which side I come down on someone says I am wrong 🙂 So forget I said anything about it…

  • You may have a USB problem…any drivers installed for any 3rd party USB devices?

  • John Pale

    February 27, 2009 at 5:04 pm in reply to: What would I need to online an HDCAM film…

    I thought it was PCI-X originally…but then doubted myself and did a quick search….of course the website I found the info on was wrong!

    Lesson: don’t believe everything you read on the internet.

  • John Pale

    February 27, 2009 at 6:14 am in reply to: What would I need to online an HDCAM film…

    Yes. You are right Chris….I just did a quick search, and it seems the Dual Core 2.3 was PCIe and not PCI-X. If this is true, then it should make getting a capture card a whole lot easier (and you wont have to throw it out to upgrade to a MacPro).

Page 288 of 413

We use anonymous cookies to give you the best experience we can.
Our Privacy policy | GDPR Policy