John Pale
Forum Replies Created
-
Double click the clip and look in the filter tab.
Did FCP automatically add the Shift Fields filter. If yes, remove it, and try playing it back.
If not…add it and try playing it back.Does that change how it looks?
Anyway….if you convert the footage in Compressor, you can resize it to properly fill the frame and correct the field order (if that is actually the problem). That’s what I would do…getting out of that legacy codec would be the best thing.
-
Maybe Walter, or some other former Media100 user can confirm, but wasn’t the older M100 stuff 640 x 480 upper field first…if so your field order might be getting reversed…that would explain the motion artifacts and the slightly undersized video.
You might want to try converting this stuff to 8 Bit Uncompressed or Pro Res using Compressor (Advanced Format Conversions).
-
There is a video noise removal filter in the Filters Pane in Compressor.
I think I would encode at full frame size, rather than throw away any more data.
-
Read the chapter on variable speed changes in FCP6 help, beginning on page 345 .
It explains it better than I ever could and its essential that you understand whats going on. Once you get the hang of it, its pretty easy. There are several ways to do it, so you’ll have to determine what works best for you. There is no simple drag and drop effect, I am afraid.
-
Wow. Thats a really good tutorial. So much more entertaining than reading. 🙂
I love that you left in the little unexpected moments of reality that occurred during it.
-
John Pale
May 8, 2009 at 4:29 pm in reply to: Greenscreened static foreground with handheld background?Send to Motion. You already own it, how’s that for economical?
Motion has a motion tracker…should probably be able to do what you want.
In the Motion help menu, select 3D and Tracking for more info.
-
I have seen odd behavior, where FCP reads the wrong frame rate on AE rendered clips. This seems to be some sort of QuickTime metadata issue. Running the problem clips through the conform function in Cinema Tools repairs the files, and FCP then uses the correct frame rate. Not sure if this is the same issue. But it’s worth examining.
-
I cannot get reliable playback of Pro Res in HD on a Dual 2.0 G5.
Yes, my drive array is fast enough (I can play uncompressed HD on it). Its the processors that choke.
Hopefully you have better luck with your G5.
-
Is your drive an external FireWire?
Make sure it’s formatted Mac OS Extended, and not FAT 32, which dies not support large files. -
You can remove the pulldown using both Cinema Tools or within FCP 6 itself. You should do this before you begin editing.
From the FCP manual (page 426)…
To remove 2:3:3:2 advanced pull-down from your media files after capture:
m Select the 29.97 fps clips in the Browser, then choose Tools > Remove Advanced Pull-down.
Your media files will remain the same size, but they will be set to play back at 23.98 fps.
If no advanced pull-down flags are detected, the media file remains at 29.97 fps.The Cinema Tools Manual (help menu) has lots of info on this beginning on page 211.
If the pulldown flags are not present, you might want to try using Compressor to convert them to 23.98. Hopefully it won’t come to that.