Jeff Pulera
Forum Replies Created
-
Jeff Pulera
February 17, 2012 at 9:39 pm in reply to: Jittery video when going to ENCORE / Best export settings in Pr cs5 for QuicktimeHi Bob,
DVD video is MPEG-2. Period. There is no “Best QT format for DVD” – regardless of what other format you send to Encore, it will need to transcode to MPEG-2 in the end, so just go straight from Timeline to MPEG-2.
In Adobe Media Encoder, choose “MPEG-2 DVD” format, and for a preset, “NTSC Progressive Widescreen”. At bottom of encoder window, check the “Max Render Quality” button which helps with downscale quality.
If you can share with us the length of the project, I can suggest some additional encode settings.
Also, make certain that the original Sequence Setting in Premiere properly matches your source footage, this is one place that could be harming quality.
Thanks
Jeff Pulera
Safe Harbor Computers -
Hi Andy,
I haven’t tried Duplicate. Rather, I open the original title in Titler and hit the button that makes a new copy there, have never had any issues.
Jeff Pulera
Safe Harbor Computers -
Hi Vineet,
If you are using the download version of Encore, then the templates and similar assets are not included, I suppose to limit the size of the initial download. I found this link https://kb2.adobe.com/cps/408/kb408826.html
that in theory should also help you wish CS5.5Thanks
Jeff Pulera
Safe Harbor Computers -
Jeff Pulera
February 14, 2012 at 4:07 pm in reply to: Trouble with Getting the Right Pixel Aspect Ratio from a Sony PMW EX-1Hi Jay,
My preference is to export the MPEG-2 for DVD files using Adobe Media Encoder right out of Premiere, rather than involving Encore just yet. From your Premiere project, use File > Export > Media.
Choose MPEG-2 DVD for the format, and for preset, “NTSC Progressive Widescreen High Quality” (or PAL, according to your needs). The pixel aspect will be set automatically, and the only things you need to look at then is whether to encode VBR or CBR, and set data rate.
A good rule of thumb is 560/minutes=data rate. I round down just a bit for safety, allowing for menus and such. For instance, 560/120=4.66, so I encode at 4.5 then. Just note that for shorter programs, 8 is the max, but many suggest using 7 for a max for compatibility with all players. I normally use CBR encoding except on very long projects.
Also, since source is HD, you can check the “Use Max Render” box at bottom of encode window – this will provide a better quality downscaling to SD.
This export will create .m2v (video) and .wav (audio) files. Any chapter marks in Premiere are also exported. Open a New Encore project, NTSC 16:9, then use File > Import as Timeline and select both the .m2v and the .wav file at once. This will create a timeline that includes any chapter marks from Premiere. From that point, do your menus or whatever you need to do.
I like this workflow because after completing an edit, I’m usually ready for a break while the MPEG-2 export completes. When I come back and put the Encore project together, it then puts out a DVD very quickly because the video is already rendered! This way, my DVD authoring workflow is not interrupted waiting for a long transcode. I can complete the menus and then have a proof disc (or folder) in just a few minutes!
Note that when you create a 16:9 DVD, most DVD players take care of display settings automatically depending on what display is connected. With a 4:3 display, the DVD player will letterbox the output, while an LCD display will show widescreen, fullscreen. Some players may require you to set the display type in the player menu.
Thanks
Jeff Pulera
Safe Harbor Computers -
Jeff Pulera
February 13, 2012 at 9:20 pm in reply to: Trouble with Getting the Right Pixel Aspect Ratio from a Sony PMW EX-1What Sequence preset are you editing with – HD or widescreen SD? What are the export settings? Please share complete workflow currently used.
Jeff Pulera
Safe Harbor -
Hi Kathy,
Did you shoot the iPad screen with the PAL DV camcorder? You’re not going to retain the crisp graphics of a computer screen or tablet screen in PAL or NTSC no matter what, the resolution is not there. Ipad is probably 720p resolution (1280×720) while PAL is 576×480.
If you are not going to be making a DVD, but only doing computer playback, then it might be beneficial to work at a higher resolution in editing. I don’t know if there is a “screen capture” app for iPad perhaps, that will record the screen output to a file at native resolution? On computers, I’ve used Camtasia which does a perfect job and retains full clarity. Another option is a capture card from Black Magic or Matrox for instance that might be able to take an HDMI output from the tablet and record at 720p, and then edit at 720p and export to a high-res format for your computer playback.
You just can’t replicate computer graphics in NTSC or PAL very well, sorry.
Jeff Pulera
Safe Harbor Computers -
Hi Cindy,
Assuming the different workout vids are encoded as individual files, you should be able to use the “Playlist” functionality in Encore to direct menu buttons to play certain sequences of clips. Read up on Playlist in HELP menu or search the web for tutorials.
Jeff Pulera
Safe Harbor Computers -
Hi Mark,
I’m assuming that Mac shares the same setup interface as PC version 😉
In New Sequence window, choose:
Sequence Settings > Sequence Presets > Settings > then look at the drop down for “Editing Mode” and choose CUSTOM. Make all your choices for frame size, frame rate, pixel aspect ratio, fields, audio settings, then SAVE PRESET.
As for IO HD, I checked https://www.aja.com/support/io/io-hd.php and it looks like it only supports FCP unfortunately.
Jeff Pulera
Safe Harbor Computers -
Hi Mark,
Unlike FCP which has about a gazillion project presets, Premiere is very open about what kinds of clips you drop into it. In other words, you can create a 1080i 29.97 sequence, and then mix and match ANYTHING into it! HDV, XDCAM EX, AVCHD, P2, HDSLR, ProRes, etc… Even different resolutions. I’ve even dropped 2K RED clips into my 1080i timeline.
So don’t look for a “ProRes” sequence preset, it’s not there because it’s not needed. Look for something that matches the resolution and frame rate that you need, or create your own preset. And then Import any clips that you have.
Jeff Pulera
Safe Harbor Computers -
Hi Michael,
Funny that you should mention the high data rate, because I usually tell everyone the exact same thing! I’m seeing more and more posts suggesting that playback issues don’t exist with high rates…but I’ve always figured better safe than sorry, so why push it? I also typically choose CBR over VBR, but that’s another argument.
I only mentioned the 8Mbps rate to help illustrate why his disc is not filled to capacity, and was not suggesting that is the best choice to encode at, but I should have added that disclaimer. The majority of programs that I produce are 90-120 minutes or even more, so I often encode at 4.5 (or less) and have never ever had a customer complaint about the DVD quality.
Thanks
Jeff Pulera
Safe Harbor Computers