Forum Replies Created

Page 234 of 315
  • Herb Sevush

    December 22, 2011 at 1:28 am in reply to: New blog post from Philip Hodgetts. Worth the read.

    [Jeremy Garchow] “I think they did my moving to AV Foundation. ;)”

    But how does that help acquisition. You can’t shoot in AV Foundation, your often still creating Quicktime elements, and with that all the limitations that go with it, or am I missing something?

    Herb Sevush
    Zebra Productions
    —————————
    nothin’ attached to nothin’
    “Deciding the spine is the process of editing” F. Bieberkopf

  • Herb Sevush

    December 22, 2011 at 1:10 am in reply to: New blog post from Philip Hodgetts. Worth the read.

    [Jeremy Garchow] “By the way, the Scene take info in the KiPro does not get saved to Quicktime as Quicktime doesn’t have that field.”

    As an aside I must say that I can’t hate Quicktime enough. Most every time I had a problem with Legacy the issue often came down to Quicktime limitations, and now even with X, many of the limitations still seem to come from the Quicktime wrapper. How about Apple doing something useful and actually improving Quicktime itself.

    Herb Sevush
    Zebra Productions
    —————————
    nothin’ attached to nothin’
    “Deciding the spine is the process of editing” F. Bieberkopf

  • Herb Sevush

    December 21, 2011 at 9:22 pm in reply to: New blog post from Philip Hodgetts. Worth the read.

    [Jeremy Garchow] “Now, let’s just say that we used a camera that was able to wirelessly metalog on set. Scene, take, reel, and some other general information. “

    Can FCPX access the scene and take metadata that you can create using a KiPro? Legacy can’t and it’s somewhat frustrating to know the info is there and it can’t be used. Right now Legacy can only access reel#, timecode and clip name, which can be composed of the scene and take metadata, but you can’t sort or search independent of clip name.

    Herb Sevush
    Zebra Productions
    —————————
    nothin’ attached to nothin’
    “Deciding the spine is the process of editing” F. Bieberkopf

  • Herb Sevush

    December 21, 2011 at 7:57 pm in reply to: New blog post from Philip Hodgetts. Worth the read.

    [Jeremy Garchow] “Like Herb said, you can’t shoot and edit a film sketch in a day, but could you a tapeless sketch?”

    Oooppppss! My apologies Jeremy, I thought you wee referring to an earlier post about doing sketches for Saturday Nite Live. I realize now your referring to my little post about a fictional Pro and Ed. Disregard everything I just said, my bad.

    Herb Sevush
    Zebra Productions
    —————————
    nothin’ attached to nothin’
    “Deciding the spine is the process of editing” F. Bieberkopf

  • Herb Sevush

    December 21, 2011 at 7:48 pm in reply to: New blog post from Philip Hodgetts. Worth the read.

    [Jeremy Garchow] “Like Herb said, you can’t shoot and edit a film sketch in a day, but could you a tapeless sketch?”

    Well lets see.

    First you break down the sketch for locations, props and actors. Then you send someone to fins the locations and make a deal. While that’s happening you call the talent agents and audition some actors, maybe you need to do a callback; and while that’s happening your both shopping for and building props and wardrobe.

    So no, I don’t think a change in the post logging time would help very much in getting a SNL sketch done in one day.

    Herb Sevush
    Zebra Productions
    —————————
    nothin’ attached to nothin’
    “Deciding the spine is the process of editing” F. Bieberkopf

  • Herb Sevush

    December 21, 2011 at 6:56 pm in reply to: New blog post from Philip Hodgetts. Worth the read.

    [Walter Soyka] “Cutting out monkey work will not free up time for you to do better work for long; it’ll shorten the amount of time you’re allowed before final delivery is expected.

    It’s a vicious cycle, and you can’t break it from within. The only solution is to step outside the cycle, manage the process, and guide expectations better.”

    Pro: I mean we went to all that time, money and effort to shoot the damm thing, everybody can see that it looks great, now why the hell is it taking so long to cut the piece of shit. Bloody hell, this should have been finished yesterday.

    Ed: But you only shot it yesterday.

    Pro: Exactly.

    Herb Sevush
    Zebra Productions
    —————————
    nothin’ attached to nothin’
    “Deciding the spine is the process of editing” F. Bieberkopf

  • Shawn –

    Thank you, that was a treat.

    Herb Sevush
    Zebra Productions
    —————————
    nothin’ attached to nothin’
    “Deciding the spine is the process of editing” F. Bieberkopf

  • Herb Sevush

    December 21, 2011 at 6:07 pm in reply to: New blog post from Philip Hodgetts. Worth the read.

    [Jeremy Garchow] “”When you get your paper edits from your clients, is it labeled in metadata or in time code?”

    Trick question. It’s one in the same.”

    I wasn’t trying to be tricky, I’m just asking if your clients are part of your metadata tagging, or are they relying on time code (a specific type of metadata) to communicate their intent to you.

    Herb Sevush
    Zebra Productions
    —————————
    nothin’ attached to nothin’
    “Deciding the spine is the process of editing” F. Bieberkopf

  • Herb Sevush

    December 21, 2011 at 6:01 pm in reply to: New blog post from Philip Hodgetts. Worth the read.

    Jeremy –

    When you get your paper edits from your clients, is it labeled in metadata or in time code?

    Herb Sevush
    Zebra Productions
    —————————
    nothin’ attached to nothin’
    “Deciding the spine is the process of editing” F. Bieberkopf

  • Herb Sevush

    December 21, 2011 at 5:56 pm in reply to: New blog post from Philip Hodgetts. Worth the read.

    [Bill Davis] “But it’s equally true that some people still value dated concepts like “manners””

    Bad manners would be talking about a subject after someone asks you not to. Self censoring yourself without a specific cause seems a bit daffy to me.

    [Bill Davis] “That was my “lesson” when I screwed up with that kid. I wasn’t trying to – but I made him feel crappy (or better by being able to vent on me, who knows!)”

    I’ve thought a lot about that story and about what I should have added but didn’t, so now here goes.

    Let’s look at the situation: Your son had a 14 year old friend who’s family was in trouble. Until you provoked him, with your wicked tongue, you were unaware of the situation. Being unaware you were unable to help in any way whatsoever. The kid was very brave and talked to you about his feelings (unfortunately most kids would not have the courage.) You had the normal reaction, the one that I would have had, you felt guilty. But what purpose does the guilt do – it serves to move the focus away from the kid and his problems and onto you and your feelings. As so often, guilt is a destructive bitch. But anyhow, what is the end result of your lack of so called “manners” – the kid got to tell you about his troubles, venting his feelings, and putting you in a situation where you could now reach out and help, even if only to be more aware of him whenever you saw him. A total victory for crudeness in speech.

    to quote Procul Harum (something I do perhaps more frequently than I should) –

    Write it down,
    It might be read.
    Nothing’s better left unsaid.

    Herb Sevush
    Zebra Productions
    —————————
    nothin’ attached to nothin’
    “Deciding the spine is the process of editing” F. Bieberkopf

Page 234 of 315

We use anonymous cookies to give you the best experience we can.
Our Privacy policy | GDPR Policy