Forum Replies Created

Page 235 of 315
  • Herb Sevush

    December 21, 2011 at 3:46 pm in reply to: New blog post from Philip Hodgetts. Worth the read.

    Walter’s response has hit on almost everything I was going to say, except he said it better, but I would like to add one thing.

    [Bill Davis] “FCP-X “fits” that because I see it as an alternative we didn’t have before that’s more closely targeted towards a new world where video is just another form of data. And organizing it, searching for it, and manipulating it, may actually become as important as “editing it””

    Video has always been just another form of data, and “searching for it, organizing it and manipulating it in time” is the definition of “editing it.” That’s what editors have done since rewinds were invented, what else is there?

    Herb Sevush
    Zebra Productions
    —————————
    nothin’ attached to nothin’
    “Deciding the spine is the process of editing” F. Bieberkopf

  • Herb Sevush

    December 21, 2011 at 1:47 am in reply to: New blog post from Philip Hodgetts. Worth the read.

    Bill –

    The last line of my original post to Steve was “And even Bill Davis agrees with me on this”, so I guess it was better that I cut it out.

    [Bill Davis] “First, I think you nearly totally misunderstand the target market for FCP-X. It’s popular to think it’s aimed at the iMovie crowd, but if you’d have spent any serious time with it, you’d know how silly that sounds.”

    I never said it was meant for the Imovie crowd, I merely said that they had already tested the UI in Imovie and knew what they were trying to do.

    Over and over you have stated that X is not meant for the top “whatever” percent of workfolows but for all the other professionals that make up the majority of video editors. You don’t want it to handle too many cameras in multicam, you don’t care if it can’t handle markers without bloating file size, the list goes on and on about all the things you don’t want Apple engineers to bother with because it will take time way from the features that suit you, and by extension, the vast majority of professional video editors. I was merely agreeing with you here by saying Apple’s marketing is aimed at editors like you and away from editors like me. Are you now in a position where you will disagree with yourself in order to disagree with me?

    Herb Sevush
    Zebra Productions
    —————————
    nothin’ attached to nothin’
    “Deciding the spine is the process of editing” F. Bieberkopf

  • Herb Sevush

    December 20, 2011 at 10:37 pm in reply to: New blog post from Philip Hodgetts. Worth the read.

    [Steve Connor] “Good or bad, Apple are in the business of re-inventing conventions, someone has to at least try and shake things up a bit.”

    This whole “shake things up a bit” argument has always sounded a little silly to me. If you want to shake things up I would suggest a good wood roller coaster – the Cyclone in Coney Island would do nicely for that.

    Successful companies seek to make useful products, and if they’ve made a useful product they try to make it better. I don’t think Apple was trying to shake things up – they already knew what they had, they had tested the UI on Imovie. They were simply trying to redefine their market – out with the upper 5%, in with the theoretical hordes of new users for their simplified workflow.

    Herb Sevush
    Zebra Productions
    —————————
    nothin’ attached to nothin’
    “Deciding the spine is the process of editing” F. Bieberkopf

  • [Jeremy Garchow] “Doesn’t change anything, I guess. We are all just operators waiting to get replaced by the modern switch board.”

    Read “Player Piano”, an early Kurt Vonnegut Sci-fi novel. As humans we are all in love with technology, even the technology that makes us obsolete.

    Herb Sevush
    Zebra Productions
    —————————
    nothin’ attached to nothin’
    “Deciding the spine is the process of editing” F. Bieberkopf

  • [Jeremy Garchow] “I found this to be a good read, but then again, I like some parts of X so I must be weird.”

    In the case of the article, not weird but a little sentimental.

    Look I love bookstores, I love browsing them, I like the rush of opening a book I’ve never read, I like the people who work in them. As for records, well let’s just say that parts of the movie/book High Fidelity (I read all of Nick Hornby’s books, I highly recommend them) felt like my life’s story. I recently contributed to a campaign to save the St. Marks bookstore from being closed down and I’ll happily try again when their lease comes due again. But it will come due, and they will close sooner rather than later. And while I will no longer be able to browse the aisles and smell the paper, I will get the same personal opinions about these books from people I’ve never met on forums just like this one. And many people who live far from cities that have such magical stores will also be able to talk to these interesting souls. The best thing about Amazon are the reader’s reviews – I get more great leads to new books from the reader’s reviews than I ever got in a bookstore. So while the clerks might have to take a turn at waiting tables or serving coffee, I don’t feel the loss of their presence as much as you. Get me on the subject of tearing down old ballparks to put up new ones, and then you’ll see me on an Aindrea’s type howl. We are each of us weird in our own little way.

    Herb Sevush
    Zebra Productions
    —————————
    nothin’ attached to nothin’
    “Deciding the spine is the process of editing” F. Bieberkopf

  • The clerks can now be found blogging away across the twitterverse. They may not be making 7.50 an hour anymore, but their opinions are reaching more people than ever before.

    Herb Sevush
    Zebra Productions
    —————————
    nothin’ attached to nothin’
    “Deciding the spine is the process of editing” F. Bieberkopf

  • Herb Sevush

    December 20, 2011 at 3:04 am in reply to: New blog post from Philip Hodgetts. Worth the read.

    [Walter Soyka] “As long as we (as an industry) continue to do our clients the disservice of agreeing to (and meeting, at our own expense) unrealistic budgets or schedules, how will they know that something is wrong,”

    In the early 80’s I used to freelance production manage for the film unit at Saturday Nite Live. The film unit was responsible for anything shot ahead of the live show – phony commercials, sketches, whatever. As the title implies everything we did was shot on film (one of the reasons being the NBC union contract that made us use the dregs of their shooters if we shot on tape; if we shot on film we could crew as we liked.)

    Around ’83 the head of the unit left and her second in command took over. One of the rules the unit had was that we needed to be handed a script no later than the Monday before a show to get it done, if the writers came up with something after Monday – too bad, won’t happen.

    The new head of the unit, who was a great producer in her own rite, wanted to prove herself to the SNL staff and one (sad) nite agreed to deliver on a sketch from a script we got on a Tuesday. We pulled it off and from that time on we almost never got a script before a Tuesday, after a few months they started expecting us to deliver on scripts handed to us on Wednesday. The last call I got for the show was on a Thursday midnite, trying to cast and location scout a sci-fi film to be shot on Friday for airing the following nite.

    The moral of that story is that no good deed goes unpunished, and we are often the victims of our own success.

    Herb Sevush
    Zebra Productions
    —————————
    nothin’ attached to nothin’
    “Deciding the spine is the process of editing” F. Bieberkopf

  • Herb Sevush

    December 20, 2011 at 1:01 am in reply to: New blog post from Philip Hodgetts. Worth the read.

    [Walter Soyka] “how can we dodge the temporal constraints imposed on the process by our wetware?”

    Walter, the word “wetware” makes me think I’ve just peed in my pants. As for the rest, the solution isn’t a better NLE, the solution is more experienced and better trained producers.

    Herb Sevush
    Zebra Productions
    —————————
    nothin’ attached to nothin’
    “Deciding the spine is the process of editing” F. Bieberkopf

  • Herb Sevush

    December 19, 2011 at 10:16 pm in reply to: New blog post from Philip Hodgetts. Worth the read.

    [Philip Hodgetts] “I then pointed out that those who are using FCP X are reporting that it is much faster for the work they’re doing than the same work in FCP 7.”

    It’s much faster than working with a moviola as well, but what’s the point of that comparison? FCP was 2 years out of date last spring, which is why many of us who had been waiting for an upgrade went a little ballistic when instead of an upgrade we got a Beta release of a new Ap that wouldn’t be ready for complex workflows for at least another year, if ever.

    Comparing FCPX to Legacy is ridiculous, compare it to PPro, Avid or any other active NLE if you want to talk about it’s speed and efficiency.

    Herb Sevush
    Zebra Productions
    —————————
    nothin’ attached to nothin’
    “Deciding the spine is the process of editing” F. Bieberkopf

  • Herb Sevush

    December 19, 2011 at 6:18 pm in reply to: New blog post from Philip Hodgetts. Worth the read.

    [Andreas Kiel] “”Bill, your post is crazier than Andreas’s”

    What was crazy on my last post????????”

    Apologies, I mean to say Aindreas.

    Herb Sevush
    Zebra Productions
    —————————
    nothin’ attached to nothin’
    “Deciding the spine is the process of editing” F. Bieberkopf

Page 235 of 315

We use anonymous cookies to give you the best experience we can.
Our Privacy policy | GDPR Policy