Forum Replies Created

Page 201 of 315
  • I’ve got some long renders and file transfers over USB this morning, so here I go.

    [Jeremy Garchow] “Was it a market leader? No question is was extremely popular, but market leader is hard to prove, and like with any statistic, you can sort of fudge the numbers around to display what is “leading” and it also is different for different markets.”

    OK, lets throw out “market leader” and replace it with the phrase “very successful” – now I still stand by my original idea that it will be a long time before we see anything like the EOL of FCP.

    [Jeremy Garchow] “They see FCPX as a replacement for Studio, and we could argue about if it really is (and it’s not, feature for feature) but everything else they have truly EOLd they have announced and brought along with it the subsequent whitepapers and information about what to do and where to go next. While many people (including me at the moment) can’t use FCPX as an FCS3 replacement, in Apple’s eyes, it is the replacement. “

    Yes, in marketing terms it was a replacement, but operationally it wasn’t. The fact that it goes against everything Apple has done before is a justification for customer anger, not a proof that it was a replacement. Claiming that X was a “replacement” for Legacy is just another example of why it’s best to bring an umbrella when talking to a marketing guy. I will say that 10.04 is much closer to being a replacement, but then again the whole point was that they EOL’d Legacy with X at 1.0.

    [Jeremy Garchow] “it’s only my opinion, companies will only tell you so much about their ultimate long term future plans. “

    I’m not asking for “ultimate long term future plans” I’m just looking for a clue as to what they’re doing over the next 6 months. I don’t think that’s too much to ask. Intel manages to do this, as does HP, as does Adobe.

    [Jeremy Garchow] “For some (and I think this was Carsten’s point) FCPX might fit. That doesn’t make him wrong.”

    No argument.

    Herb Sevush
    Zebra Productions
    —————————
    nothin’ attached to nothin’
    “Deciding the spine is the process of editing” F. Bieberkopf

  • [Jeremy Garchow] “I feel the need to respond.”

    As do we all.

    [Jeremy Garchow] “So, as you say, if FCP wasn’t all that high end (and I am total agreement with that statement) why are you so mad? What is there to be angry about?”

    While I agree with some of your post there were/are a few things to be angry about. The sudden EOL of Legacy with no warning is unprecedented for a product that was the market leader. It was an incredibly shabby way to treat their customers, and that was proven by their eventual near invisible re-release. The refusal to communicate about their short term MacPro plans is very annoying, to say the least. Other than that Apple owes me nothing. That doesn’t mean I won’t criticize their decisions, but then I’m critical of a lot of decisions made by a lot of companies.

    [Jeremy Garchow] “Apple is simply the most recent company to put something to bed and sure, Apple might EOL other software someday, but my guess is that other companies will EOL other software too, or decide to go in another direction if profits aren’t working out.”

    EOL’ing failing software happens all the time, but I doubt I’ll see another company take a profitable market leading product and throw it down the toilet.

    [Jeremy Garchow] “Apple has all the money to keep making MacPros, but is that the right business decision to make?”

    If they’re getting out of the market, fine, but say something so I can make reasonable plans. Other companies manage to communicate with their customers, and from now on I will only work with companies that do. To the argument “but they’ve always been that way, why get angry now” the answer is I was never burned by them before.

    [Jeremy Garchow] “What other company, NLE or otherwise, gives you complete confidence that you will be able to get through the next 10 years? And why should they shoulder that responsibility?”

    Their is no such thing as “complete confidence.” I merely want to work with a company that is interested in servicing my business workflow. For years Apple did, and now they claim they do but act as though they don’t. I don’t like it when someone pisses on my head and calls it rain. As for 10 years – 3 years is about as far as I want to look ahead.

    Herb Sevush
    Zebra Productions
    —————————
    nothin’ attached to nothin’
    “Deciding the spine is the process of editing” F. Bieberkopf

  • Herb Sevush

    May 3, 2012 at 2:49 pm in reply to: So, about that GPU I linked to the other day…

    [Andrew Richards] “The Fermi GPUs found in the Quadro series, GTX500 series, and the Tesla are far better suited for GPGPU duty than the new Kepler cards. Those are tuned for gaming performance only. “/I>

    So the GTX 580 would be better than the new 680?

    Herb Sevush
    Zebra Productions
    —————————
    nothin’ attached to nothin’
    “Deciding the spine is the process of editing” F. Bieberkopf

  • [Carsten Orlt] “A little overboard? Calling me an 80 year old short of getting to the point of being at room temperature is a little overboard? Herb you might be angry but please think before you defend something that is beyond rational.”

    I took it as being funny, at your expense. How about if I say he was “very overboard”, does that make it jake.

    [Carsten Orlt] “But according to your logic this forum exchange only allows for your point of view because if I say my opinion I declare everyone else’s non valid? “

    No, your missing the point. Stating something is “your opinion” doesn’t affect the validity of what you say, it doesn’t make it non-valid but it also doesn’t offer protection when you say something idiotic. Labeling a post “my opinion” is a waste of 9 letters – post what you want and get on with it.

    Herb Sevush
    Zebra Productions
    —————————
    nothin’ attached to nothin’
    “Deciding the spine is the process of editing” F. Bieberkopf

  • [Carsten Orlt] “What I don’t understand is why you are so angry that you have to throw around insults after insult just because I stated my personal opinion. I did so openly clearly stating that it is MY opinion.”

    Labeling something an opinion does not remove you from being responsible for what you said. While Scott may have gone a little overboard with some of his statements I think he articulated his, and my, anger very well. Try reading this section again:

    Scott SheriffAs I said before, no one in this, or any other forum ever once suggested taking away your storytelling tools, but you seem to be perfectly OK with the loss of ours. After all, your subject line says “Thank you Apple – and don’t change course. Please”.

    So we bitched about the loss of our tools, the loss of choice, lack of notice, and get zero support from folks like yourself. Besides being perplexed by this attitude, I find it quite distasteful how so many fans of X are not just unsympathetic to the situation other editors and business owners find themselves in, but that they seem to be quite happy about it.

    What the heck? As long as you have what you want, who cares about the rest of us? Right?

    So, while you may not have intended it as such, your “opinion” is actually an expression of glee at our problems. On that, and most everything else he wrote, I agree with Scott wholeheartedly.

    Herb Sevush
    Zebra Productions
    —————————
    nothin’ attached to nothin’
    “Deciding the spine is the process of editing” F. Bieberkopf

  • Herb Sevush

    May 2, 2012 at 6:41 pm in reply to: Red Guys hackintoshing an hp

    [Tim Wilson] “if Apple releases another Mac Pro (and I think they will”

    is that a hint or a guess, or can you say.

    Herb Sevush
    Zebra Productions
    —————————
    nothin’ attached to nothin’
    “Deciding the spine is the process of editing” F. Bieberkopf

  • Herb Sevush

    May 1, 2012 at 10:33 pm in reply to: What are you thinking about CS6?

    [David Lawrence] “Audio sync markers are there, but they’re at the top of my list of things needing improvement. Currently, they only display when linked audio and video are thrown out-of-sync.”

    How can linked clips get thrown out of sync? Markers are needed only for un-linked elements.

    And one of the really great things about Legacy was the way the sync markers could re-sync, with options for how you wanted it done. Invaluable.

    It’s also crucial to working with multi-cam because your always working with un-linked sources, unless they treat the whole multi-cam clip as a single source, no matter which video angle you’ve cut too.

    Their demo was hopeless on these and many other subjects, although it’s not Adobe’s fault, the subject is too complex to get the nuances in a demo.

    [David Lawrence] “Like FCP, audio and video elements from the same source should always show sync markers if slipped, regardless of whether the elements are linked or not.”

    Especially if they are not.

    [David Lawrence] “The whole paradigm of a separate window and needing to record a multicam session feels off to me.”

    That’s another reason I need to get my hands on it. I’m hoping it’s just a silly way to reference something similar to the ” open sync” function in the source window of Legacy.

    Herb Sevush
    Zebra Productions
    —————————
    nothin’ attached to nothin’
    “Deciding the spine is the process of editing” F. Bieberkopf

  • Herb Sevush

    May 1, 2012 at 9:43 pm in reply to: What are you thinking about CS6?

    [Chris Harlan] “I’m guessing I will need to straddle them both, though which I will lean to as “mine” I have no idea yet.”

    I know what Symphony is and can do, I’m still not sure what PPro is, hence the uncertainty. I’m not a big AE user, I like having Symphony’s CC right in the Ap, but I’m not crazy about Avid’s stodgy timeline style. PPro is much more similar to FC in terms of actual cutting in the timeline, and if they have added the right features, like Legacy’s sync indicator, and if their multi-cam is flexible enough, then they’ve got me. Otherwise I know Avid can handle my workflow, and while I’ve been avoiding them for almost 20 years, if it’s got to be, so be it.

    Herb Sevush
    Zebra Productions
    —————————
    nothin’ attached to nothin’
    “Deciding the spine is the process of editing” F. Bieberkopf

  • Herb Sevush

    May 1, 2012 at 8:34 pm in reply to: What are you thinking about CS6?

    [Tim Wilson] “I assume that some of you saw the demos at NAB – how did they strike you?”

    Incomplete, like all demos. Watching someone use a multi-cam function to cut a live music performance tells me almost nothing I need to know — I am very anxious to get my hands on PPro6 and see if it will work for me.

    [Tim Wilson] “I also know that Premiere Pro has been jostling with Avid Media Composer/Symphony for mindshare/marketshare among folks looking for their next landing spot. How are you feeling about that now?”

    Leaning to Adobe, but the Symphony crossgrade is also very tempting. I’m not one of those editors who “throws everything in the toolkit.” I’m monogamous when it comes to editing, so that choice is a commitment that I won’t rush.

    [Tim Wilson] “I’m looking for the unique combination of insight, expertise, speculation and condescension that only you can provide. “

    I hope we can live up to your expectations, you Luddite fanboy.

    Herb Sevush
    Zebra Productions
    —————————
    nothin’ attached to nothin’
    “Deciding the spine is the process of editing” F. Bieberkopf

  • Herb Sevush

    April 26, 2012 at 2:59 pm in reply to: No Convergence of iOS & OS X

    [Tim Wilson] “I mean, seriously, what would happen if I was right any meaningful percentage of the time? What would my kids say? What would my wife say? The wheels would fall off my entire world.”

    Beautiful.

    Herb Sevush
    Zebra Productions
    —————————
    nothin’ attached to nothin’
    “Deciding the spine is the process of editing” F. Bieberkopf

Page 201 of 315

We use anonymous cookies to give you the best experience we can.
Our Privacy policy | GDPR Policy