Creative Communities of the World Forums

The peer to peer support community for media production professionals.

Forums Creative Community Conversations What are you thinking about CS6?

• What are you thinking about CS6?

• Tim Wilson

May 1, 2012 at 5:03 pm

One of the memes here is that Adobe Premiere is for many people the FCP 8 they’d been waiting for.

I know that the release is around the corner – are you camping out in line already?

I assume that some of you saw the demos at NAB – how did they strike you?

I also know that Premiere Pro has been jostling with Avid Media Composer/Symphony for mindshare/marketshare among folks looking for their next landing spot. How are you feeling about that now?

I can only assume that this conversation will heat up in the next month once people have had a chance to jump up and down on it…but for this forum, that’s awfully close to reality. I’m looking for the unique combination of insight, expertise, speculation and condescension that only you can provide.

KIDDING! LOL Play nice, now. But I really am curious to take the temperature of the room at this point in the proceedings.

thx,
    tw

Tim Wilson
    Associate Publisher, Editor-in-Chief
    Creative COW Magazine
    Twitter: timdoubleyou

• Bobby Mosca

May 1, 2012 at 5:17 pm

Oh, no… I’ve learned my lesson about buying an NLE on the first day it’s released. There are elements in there I’m pretty interested in, but I’m not in GOTTA HAVE IT! mode just yet. Perhaps I have also learned not to get excited about this sort of thing.

• Dustin Parsons

May 1, 2012 at 6:02 pm

I’m very excited about it! From the demos it looks like Adobe made some huge headway with this release and I can’t wait to start cutting on it.

• David Lawrence

May 1, 2012 at 6:26 pm

I downloaded the trial yesterday via a link in the RedUser forum and played with it all afternoon and evening.

Mind. Blown.

Believe the hype, the Conan boys are right. It really is Adobe’s Final Cut Pro 8.

I was positively giddy playing with the trim tools. They are now easily among the best in the industry. Avid users will jump for joy and at the same time, FCP users will be completely comfortable.

It handled native footage like butter with real-time playback and no rendering on my 4-year old Macbook Pro. I felt like I had a new machine! Chormakey, color correction, whatever I threw at it — it never blinked. My brother in LA had no problem cutting 4K Red footage, again on a Macbook Pro.

Is it perfect? Nope. I’ve started my list of things that need improvement, but nothing so far is a show stopper.

Make no mistake, Premiere Pro CS 6 is a game changing release. Once the masses get their hands on it, I predict you’ll see a huge shift to Adobe. Definitely from FCP users and also from Avid users who will now find PP very compelling.

Hat’s off to the Adobe team for not only listening, but for delivering the goods. If they continue like this, by version 7 or 8, they will truly have the Photoshop of NLEs.

publicmattersgroup.com
    facebook.com/dlawrence
    twitter.com/dhl

• Lance Bachelder

May 1, 2012 at 6:39 pm

Got to play with a little at NAB and liked it enough to happily pre-order the CS6 Cloud subscription! Can’t wait…

Lance Bachelder
    Writer, Editor, Director
    Irvine, California

• Chris Harlan

May 1, 2012 at 6:43 pm

Its REVOLUTIONARY. {Chortle}

I’ve already bought it because I generally buy every other CS Production upgrade. I’m guessing it will get much more scrutiny from me this time around as it is very possible that it will, over the next year or two, become a force in my little corner of the Universe. I haven’t played with it much, since its early days, because there has been no outside driving force to get me there, and my early impressions were fairly negative, though I have believed–for several years–from an intellectual POV that the software had much improved.
    I AM much more personally interested in it, this time around, both because of the changes to Premiere and the radical changes to FCP X. So, despite the sloth that summer brings, I’m guessing I will be spending a lot of time with Premiere.

• Chris Harlan

May 1, 2012 at 6:45 pm

Wow! Now THIS is an endorsement! Maybe I’ll give it a go before Summer.

• Franz Bieberkopf

May 1, 2012 at 6:53 pm

I’m likely to have a look a bit later (June? July?) (perhaps while also checking out Lightworks and FCPX).

I’m encouraged by what I hear and see but still skeptical until the test of practice, particularly with respect to large projects and also audio handling / mixing.

Franz.

• Franz Bieberkopf

May 1, 2012 at 6:55 pm

David,

How is it for audio, particularly mixing? I haven’t seen or heard much talk of changes (except the UI of the mixer) which leads me to believe not much changed from 5.5 in this respect.

Franz.

• Jason Jenkins

May 1, 2012 at 6:55 pm

The fact that Premiere now supports the OpenCL card on my Macbook Pro, makes it a no-brainer for me to update my master collection to CS6. Excited about the improvements in AE as well. FCPX is working well for my corporate work, but why choose one NLE when I can have two? I have yet to cut on Avid in my career and I don’t see any reason to start now.

Jason Jenkins
    Flowmotion Media
    Video production… with style!

Check out my Mormon.org profile.

Viewing 1 - 10 of 72 posts

We use anonymous cookies to give you the best experience we can.
Our Privacy policy | GDPR Policy