Forum Replies Created

Page 202 of 315
  • [Jeremy Garchow] “So you haven’t found it yet.”

    It’s a bit like El Dorado – I don’t expect to get there but I know the direction I’m heading towards.

    Herb Sevush
    Zebra Productions
    —————————
    nothin’ attached to nothin’
    “Deciding the spine is the process of editing” F. Bieberkopf

  • [Jeremy Garchow] “So why have you been using FCP this whole time?”

    I haven’t, FCP is my third NLE. EMC, *edit, FCP (with a quick audition of Premiere just as it became PPro 1.0). Avid has been too expensive and I find it slow going, especially cutting in the timeline. The original PPro had some of the problems FCPX has with audio so while I tried it, I stopped using it. I’ve never been in love with Final Cut, it was just the best price performance option up til now. The X of what I want has never crossed the Y of what I can afford, but I know where my priorities are.

    Herb Sevush
    Zebra Productions
    —————————
    nothin’ attached to nothin’
    “Deciding the spine is the process of editing” F. Bieberkopf

  • [Jeremy Garchow] “Just curious, and I know I’ve asked this before, but how much bandwidth (or in this case GPU) do you need? For your particular business, how would a tesla gpu help you?”

    In my business portability means absolutely nothing. I edit in my office, I need large screens to see all the little multi-cam windows. I don’t edit in the field, on-site or in a starbucks. I’ve never had enough bandwidth, I’ve always wanted more, I’ll gladly give up portability to get more.

    For me flexibility means I can edit anything that gets thrown at me, including tape sources, and output anything asked of me, including tape sources, and never have to wait a moment for rendering, no matter how many effects I stack on a clip, or how many angles I’m cutting with. I want to output all my my digital files at 100x normal speed. Until I get there, my system’s too slow.

    I understand that my needs are not yours, we put emphasis on different things. I can appreciate why a TBolt FCPX metadata future is perfect for some; it’s not that I don’t see the value in a lot of these things, it’s just that they are much lower on my priority scale.

    Herb Sevush
    Zebra Productions
    —————————
    nothin’ attached to nothin’
    “Deciding the spine is the process of editing” F. Bieberkopf

  • They didn’t call it Quicktime VIII.

    Herb Sevush
    Zebra Productions
    —————————
    nothin’ attached to nothin’
    “Deciding the spine is the process of editing” F. Bieberkopf

  • [Jeremy Garchow] “Yep, just like Quicktime 8.”

    Hey, the Apple role out was perfect and they’re all marketing geniuses; since they were the ones to label it FCP X, they must have known what people would call it. If they wanted us to call it FCP 10 then that’s how they should have promoted it.

    Herb Sevush
    Zebra Productions
    —————————
    nothin’ attached to nothin’
    “Deciding the spine is the process of editing” F. Bieberkopf

  • [Jeremy Garchow] “Flexibility and portability might not be important to everyone, but I will tell you it is to me personally, more and more, especially for the near future.”

    I understand the portability side of this but what do you mean by flexibility. To me flexibility means you can do anything with something, and in that case a tower is much more flexible than a MBpro. Obviously you mean something else by flexibility, can you elaborate?

    [Jeremy Garchow] ” how many MacPro people are running multiple GPUs today, honestly? PC people, who has really bought a Tesla system in these forums for your NLE? “

    I haven’t yet but it’s tempting. Maybe if I don’t buy an Ipad and a MBpro I could afford it.

    Herb Sevush
    Zebra Productions
    —————————
    nothin’ attached to nothin’
    “Deciding the spine is the process of editing” F. Bieberkopf

  • [Craig Seeman] “. I can’t speak for him but I think trouble shooting Mac issues are easier and if downtime is a concern, I can see that resulting in a very strong bias that some (and certainly not others) may feel.”

    I agree that the Mac is somewhat easier to maintain and deal with. I have to weigh that against the PC’s superior GPU choices and greater customization possibilities, and also the greater variety of software available.

    But yours was not Evan’s position, he said that … well lets not go into that again. He used the language of a 12 year old Apple fanboy. He didn’t use that type of juvenile description for any other company in his 80 minute talk. He even mentioned JVC without directly insulting them, and trust me that’s hard to do. So it’s obvious he has some strong adolescent emotional thing going on with his Apple affliction, and that limits the value of his perceptions for me.

    Herb Sevush
    Zebra Productions
    —————————
    nothin’ attached to nothin’
    “Deciding the spine is the process of editing” F. Bieberkopf

  • [Craig Seeman] “He’s explaining what impacts him and it ranges from OS to GUI to tech features. “

    “Using windows is like tying one hand behind your back and hitting yourself in the face with your other hand.”

    That line, while colorful and funny, tells me he’s only using Windows when he absolutely has to, and it limit’s my interest in what he has to say. I did listen to the whole spiel and found it of some value, but when he says something that moronic, it does argue against the value of his perceptions.

    Herb Sevush
    Zebra Productions
    —————————
    nothin’ attached to nothin’
    “Deciding the spine is the process of editing” F. Bieberkopf

  • [Craig Seeman] “It does give a bit of a picture of his awareness of other NLES (pre CS6 but MC6 and he knew where Smoke was going of course) and tidbits on why he has an FCPX bias.”

    His bias against the Windows platforms taints the presentation. I am guessing his comparisons of speed, etc. with both PPro and Avid were based with their use on a Mac, while it is well know that for PPro at least, Windows performance is much better. Once you account for his Mac bias, the presentation was informative.

    Herb Sevush
    Zebra Productions
    —————————
    nothin’ attached to nothin’
    “Deciding the spine is the process of editing” F. Bieberkopf

  • Herb Sevush

    April 24, 2012 at 4:43 pm in reply to: Lightworks – As Popular As FCPX?

    [Chris Kenny] “It’s free. As such, the download number is probably more representative of the level of casual interest than the level of serious use.”

    Was I dreaming or was it you talking about the future of editing belonging to whoever could capture the kids downloading cheap software to work on their skateboard videos. I guess these 250000 casual users
    don’t count.

    Herb Sevush
    Zebra Productions
    —————————
    nothin’ attached to nothin’
    “Deciding the spine is the process of editing” F. Bieberkopf

Page 202 of 315

We use anonymous cookies to give you the best experience we can.
Our Privacy policy | GDPR Policy