Forum Replies Created

Page 106 of 315
  • Herb Sevush

    May 28, 2014 at 2:39 am in reply to: A negative about CC frequent updates

    Craig –

    Let me amend my question – Does the FCPX PDF explain every option of every menu and tool within FCPX?

    Herb Sevush
    Zebra Productions
    —————————
    nothin’ attached to nothin’
    “Deciding the spine is the process of editing” F. Bieberkopf

  • Herb Sevush

    May 28, 2014 at 2:33 am in reply to: A negative about CC frequent updates

    [Craig Seeman] “The FCPX 10.1 PDF doc is 474 pages including Glossary.”

    Do you find it satisfactory?

    Herb Sevush
    Zebra Productions
    —————————
    nothin’ attached to nothin’
    “Deciding the spine is the process of editing” F. Bieberkopf

  • Herb Sevush

    May 28, 2014 at 12:39 am in reply to: A negative about CC frequent updates

    [Andrew Kimery] “Is lack of documentation really an update frequency problem or just an Adobe lack of documentation problem? “

    When you have no development schedule it’s hard to have a documentation schedule. Tech writers are normally working with developers so that both on-line and print documentation is part of the cycle. With CC there is no cycle. I guess they could arbitrarily come up with a cut-off for documentation and then release it, but that assures you of having your documentation be out of date by the time it’s published.

    As is often the case, when you set out to revolutionize things, you often re-learn why things were set up the way they were in the first place. I’m not saying the speed of release is not worth the confusion, I’m just saying there’s a price for everything.

    Herb Sevush
    Zebra Productions
    —————————
    nothin’ attached to nothin’
    “Deciding the spine is the process of editing” F. Bieberkopf

  • Herb Sevush

    May 15, 2014 at 9:38 pm in reply to: Adobe CC goes down for 24 hours

    As much as i don’t like the subscription plan this is really not a big deal for most users. Cloud software is run locally, there is no need to be in touch with the cloud on a daily basis. It’s like the App store being down for a day.

    Herb Sevush
    Zebra Productions
    —————————
    nothin’ attached to nothin’
    “Deciding the spine is the process of editing” F. Bieberkopf

  • Herb Sevush

    April 15, 2014 at 6:45 pm in reply to: Mavericks or Mountain Lion ??

    Thanks Kevin, but given all the responses I’m going to stick with Mountain Lion for now.

    Herb Sevush
    Zebra Productions
    —————————
    nothin’ attached to nothin’
    “Deciding the spine is the process of editing” F. Bieberkopf

  • Herb Sevush

    April 13, 2014 at 11:03 pm in reply to: Is Pro-res keeping us Mac Based?

    My deliverables are all ProRes and it is a factor keeping me on Macs. I know there are some windows solutions for this, but why would I want to go with a third party solution for my main deliverable? I want something that my NLE can handle straight out of the box, so that when something goes wrong I can simplify my trouble shooting. Editing is hard enough, I have no need to be a pioneer when I don’t have to. When Quicktime can run on a PC as well as it does on a Mac, or when my deliverables change, then I’ll happily change back to PCs.

    Herb Sevush
    Zebra Productions
    —————————
    nothin’ attached to nothin’
    “Deciding the spine is the process of editing” F. Bieberkopf

  • Herb Sevush

    April 11, 2014 at 11:35 pm in reply to: Creative Cow in need of a new forum

    To the incredibly often requested notion of renaming this forum I suggest that we take Mother Mary’s advice …

    Herb Sevush
    Zebra Productions
    —————————
    nothin’ attached to nothin’
    “Deciding the spine is the process of editing” F. Bieberkopf

  • Herb Sevush

    April 10, 2014 at 6:19 pm in reply to: Mid-market NAB happenings

    [Mitch Ives] “I know it’s popular to hate capitalism these days”

    Actually it used to be much more popular to hate capitalism back in the 30’s. Today capitalism is like an aging rock star waiting for a reality series; it’s a little long in the tooth, it’s on it’s third facelift, but the fans keep coming out to see the same old act for fear of trying something new.

    Herb Sevush
    Zebra Productions
    —————————
    nothin’ attached to nothin’
    “Deciding the spine is the process of editing” F. Bieberkopf

  • Herb Sevush

    April 9, 2014 at 4:44 pm in reply to: The New Adobe

    [Jeremy Garchow] “Again with the millions. Could we prove that a perpetual model would have signed up millions for CS7.”

    There were Adobe published numbers that showed something like 4 million current CS users vs a desire for 2 million CC subscribers. While you are correct that not all those CS users would have subscribed to CS7, they might have waited till 8 or 9, but most would have eventually moved on when their workflow / clients required it.

    I have 3 different versions of Photoshop, 2 of AE and 3 of PPro – since it was never my main tool I upgraded irregularly but I did upgrade. Adobe was NOT dying without CC, their users were upgrading, just not as frequently and predictably as Adobe thinks they can get with CC. But yes, there are millions of users that Adobe has lost with CC. Adobe knows it, they’ve made the calculations, and they’ve moved on. But let’s not pretend that those folks are not there. That’s why Mr. Mooney is getting an earful.

    [Jeremy Garchow] “For me, it’s not about the money of a constant rental plan, it’s about the money that I don’t need to spend on products I don’t use. I think this is a better fight to fight as there could actually be an outcome instead of stalemate. We have a working example of it, as does Adobe.”

    I believe both battles are worth waging, I don’t see either one as more winnable than the other. Lower prices now can very easily be rescinded when the heat dies down.

    Herb Sevush
    Zebra Productions
    —————————
    nothin’ attached to nothin’
    “Deciding the spine is the process of editing” F. Bieberkopf

  • Herb Sevush

    April 9, 2014 at 2:41 pm in reply to: The New Adobe

    [Jeremy Garchow] “This will probably bother you, but we just signed up for Office365. It allows us access to Office on many more machines/devices than buying it outright. Also, the price is right.”

    This doesn’t bother me in the slightest. I’m happy that Microsoft is offering you options, I’m happy that Quicken offers the same type of options in accounting software. I was happy when Adobe offered the CC as an option a year ago. When I go to buy a car I have the option to rent or lease – and I get to choose what works best for me. Personally, I always buy and it works for me because I generally keep a car about 7 years and drive more than 12000 miles per year.

    I am curious to know what Microsoft’s plan is if you stop renting 365 – any off ramp? Oh yes, of course, you could at that point simply buy it. Or save all your files to earlier formats and use your older programs to open in up. Jeez, under those conditions I can see where a rental strategy would sound reasonable if the price were right.

    While your biggest issue seems to be keeping the current CC price down, for me it’s the uncertainty of the future price. Let’s say I use CC for the current season, which is my intention, and then drop it for Lightworks next year. To re-open old CC projects it currently costs just a months subscription – no big deal. What if, and I don’t think it’s unlikely, Adobe in the future does away with month to month rentals and has as a minimum a 6 month or 1 year rental. Now it’s $300 – $600 to open a project. Suddenly it does become a bigger deal.

    It’s true that if Adobe would get the monthly price down based on a smaller package of software, even a yearly rental wouldn’t scare me off, but so far I see no indication of either happening, so Al Mooney is just gonna have to continue hearing the complaints.

    Herb Sevush
    Zebra Productions
    —————————
    nothin’ attached to nothin’
    “Deciding the spine is the process of editing” F. Bieberkopf

Page 106 of 315

We use anonymous cookies to give you the best experience we can.
Our Privacy policy | GDPR Policy