Forum Replies Created

Page 159 of 260
  • Grinner Hester

    October 13, 2008 at 8:53 pm in reply to: Do I have a beef?

    Exactly.
    So you should totally take care of your hired help, man.

  • No. If you did the work before they were presented, that is their bad. Their asking you to sign such a thing as a freelancer is just an invitation to never mess with them again.
    Get your money and stay clear of em.

  • Grinner Hester

    October 13, 2008 at 8:51 pm in reply to: Licensing Question

    You’ll not have a legal issue (as long nothing is taken ver badem) so much as just get picked on for lack of creativity.
    Call it a spoof and it’s satire. Copy and you’re just a tool.

  • Grinner Hester

    October 13, 2008 at 2:27 pm in reply to: Do I have a beef?

    well you should think twice then.
    Every artist that comes into your place is looking at it as a step to the next place. You hope so, right? I mean who wants an artist that calls good enough good enough? Your job as an employer is not to keep that artist under a contract but to grow with him, be cool as hell to him and ensure through your coolness that he does not leave later. Fail and they’ll split. That truely is how it works, like it or not.
    I admit I am not very employable. I am expensive, have opnions and have places to be come 6pm. I’d sooner hire 2 22 year olds for less money and work the dog out of em.

    but I’d not be surprised when they moved onward and upward. I’d hire expecting it.

    If hiring an accountant I may look for a resume that had 2 decades of layalty to one place but, man, we need artists that have great dreams and show it by taking huge leaps forward every other year or so.

  • Grinner Hester

    October 12, 2008 at 2:15 pm in reply to: What would be the best approach for this animation?

    just have em throw nothing and add it in.
    A green card would only limit you and add time and work.

  • Grinner Hester

    October 12, 2008 at 2:13 pm in reply to: On-line Avid Symphony

    you wont be relinking media. You’ll be deleting the 10:1 and batch digitizing your bins.

    200 tapes for a 45 minute show?

    daaaaaang.

  • Grinner Hester

    October 11, 2008 at 7:46 pm in reply to: Cheating

    my favorite cheat was 20 keystrokes that did nothing back in the linear days.
    The most important thing for a linear editor to know was how to say no without saying that word. I’d make changing the mind of the producer their idea. Sometimes that wasn’t possible. And sometimes the client’s client would pop in on a friday after a week of editing with a 10 frame timing change in minute one of a one hour show. This is where the keystrokes that did nothing came in. I rustle off 30 seconds of buttun pushing, hit preview and offer a “like that?” to the back of the room. Get the nod and rock on having not done a thing… at least not starting an autoassemble of a rippled EDL that took a week to create. My ausio editor had a pod on his console that was disconnected. Man, we’d all hop in there and entertain ourselves as a producer would close his eyes and tweek that dummy knob till that sound was juuuust perfect. Sometimes we’d appload and offer mad props to the new artist of audio.
    Today I do little of this. I sometimes have to capture with compression due to lack of drive space and I don’t bring it up but with multiple undos, thats as far as the deception goes. It aint how it use to be when somone asked for a page turn.
    “hmmm so your saying not neccesarily a cheezy page turn… just not a cut or dissolve… like maybe a custom matte with a little glow? man thats a great idea. Thats why your the man.”
    lol
    if it’s their idea, it’s a pretty easy sale.

  • Grinner Hester

    October 11, 2008 at 12:41 pm in reply to: Business loans…

    Credit a great business plan and a tie is the norm.
    That said, don’t do it. Debt being your biggest foe in business, I have found it best to side step it.
    Truth is, a loan is not required to move into a commercial building. You’re talking furniture and that’s just a matter of selecting the right garage sales.
    I speant just over 10k moving into my building and pimping it accordingly. When I got tired of the stress/overhead, I literally sold all that stuff for around 600 bucks.
    Now it’s just me, my camera and my edit suite. If a booking doesn’t happen, that’s a cool day off. I did not have that luxury with a phat overhead.
    If you must stretch your wings, do it without a banker.

  • Grinner Hester

    October 11, 2008 at 12:33 pm in reply to: Audio Limiter Tool

    you may also wanna try a reverse approach… use the normalizer then pull down the gain. I have had good results doing this.

  • Grinner Hester

    October 10, 2008 at 8:14 pm in reply to: A new challenge

    this is the challenge. Our grandpa said never turn down a job when in need of one when out experience tells us we can easily lose money by accepting the wrong gig.
    In the end, you’ll just have to say no to the ones that put ya in the red.

Page 159 of 260

We use anonymous cookies to give you the best experience we can.
Our Privacy policy | GDPR Policy