Forum Replies Created

Page 136 of 260
  • Grinner Hester

    April 7, 2009 at 5:11 pm in reply to: Animation Look

    Aura’s cartooner was awesome too.
    still my favorite stroke recorder of all time, including contimuum.

  • Grinner Hester

    April 7, 2009 at 5:10 pm in reply to: date time stamp

    In your case, you should just turn it on in the camera. That way you are not faking it.

  • Grinner Hester

    April 7, 2009 at 5:08 pm in reply to: Batch Capture From Multiple Bins

    what a mess.
    Man, unless ya start over there is no avoiding playing tape schlocker for a day.
    When you batch per bin, you’ll be promted for a reel and it’ll capture all clips on that reel first.
    Suonds like your woris are with those 45 bins.
    good luck with that. lol
    I can’t imagine…

  • Grinner Hester

    April 7, 2009 at 3:55 pm in reply to: Knowledge & What Its Worth

    You’ll find the client seldom knows much about anything. Just be in the oppeasing business. Give em a jpg. If they need a different file later on, send it on.
    I learned a long time ago that if producers wanted to know how this stuff works, they’d not be a middle man.

  • Grinner Hester

    April 7, 2009 at 1:04 am in reply to: I’m just so mad!!!

    Over a dozen interships that didn’t turn into paying jobs? Dude, something aint right.
    I went in, painted walls and hung shelves where I had to but made sure it turned into a paying job.
    Please don’t look at teachers as connections in the industry, man. I dare say, if they had conections, they’d be working in the industry.
    My suggestion is be humble. Expect nothing but don’t settle for it. Get out there and take out the freakin trash if you have to but get your foot in the door at the place you want to be. Work for way too little for much too long, climbing ladders not when you want to but when you have to. You’ll find in this industry, when you get married, you’ll probably have to move onward and upward. With the birth of every child you’ll need a five-figure raise and since those don’t happen, again, you’ll move onward and upward.
    I moved my family to five states in as many years at one point just salary climbing and ya know what I was at after a decade and a half of this? My salary was just about where your school debt is. You simply overpaid for an education in a field that won’t support that… anytime soon, anyway. I started like most here… for free. My first real job at a tv station paid 3 bucks and 35 cents an hour. My first salary job paid much less than that at 18k a year and 80 hour work weeks. Money is not a motivator for this field. There are tie-wearing desk jobs for those motivated by moola.

  • Grinner Hester

    April 7, 2009 at 12:56 am in reply to: I’m just so mad!!!

    If you had fun, it was not waisted.
    I don’t want to take anything away from a fine education but most can teach at the university level, even with just an AA. They look for “or equal experience” in many cases.
    Again, I am in no way against a good education. I just don’t want a whole young generation going and then expecting a gig as a result. You’ll be cold-calling just like the guy who got a 4 year head start on ya in this field.
    All that said, my dad had hell gettin me to go to college and that poor guy just could not get me out after that. lol I got one AA, had fun, stayed, got another, met some sweet chicks so I stayed some more, got another, started teaching there… lol
    career student. It was fun. It was easy. I was comfy. Had they not booted me out of the nest, I surely would have stayed.
    …which is why I call and thank em every now and again.
    Fun indeed. Was it required for my career? Sure was at the time, man. There was no place else I could learn how to edit. Is it required today? shooot. Premiere and a DVD burner can hook a brother up with a reel that will get him hired.

  • Grinner Hester

    April 6, 2009 at 7:40 pm in reply to: I’m just so mad!!!

    You spent six figures on a broadcast education?

    oi vay

  • Grinner Hester

    April 6, 2009 at 7:08 pm in reply to: Client conundrum

    Not a bad place to scoop up cheap talent.

  • Grinner Hester

    April 6, 2009 at 7:07 pm in reply to: AVID Alpha Channel Masking HELP!!

    You can do it several ways. Make both files in photoshop and dissove and you are done.
    Mask in after effects and keyframe a brightness change.
    Do the same in Avid using two tracks… one for the color effect, the other stacking an animatte effect. If you don’t have animatte, I’d just bust it out in photoshop.

  • Grinner Hester

    April 6, 2009 at 2:22 pm in reply to: I’m just so mad!!!

    I don’t think anyone enters school thinking they’ll leave with connections. Man I hope not.
    I think most understand first hand experience is best gotten first hand too.
    Film schools are where rebels go when dad is stern in making them go to college.
    …and is willing to pay for it.
    Films are made by those who wanted to make films instead.

Page 136 of 260

We use anonymous cookies to give you the best experience we can.
Our Privacy policy | GDPR Policy