Forum Replies Created
-
Gary Adcock
January 17, 2006 at 2:40 am in reply to: Does HVX200 Include a Macintosh P2 Formatting App?[john sharaf] “This makes no sense, it means that the hot swap capability is destroyed and that you’d need as many cards as the length of the continuous take.”
John
the process on a Mac is to insert the card into the PCA slot > import into FCP> option delete the material on the p2 card ( that unlocks the MXF text file) >empty the trash > eject and insert into camera.the 4 gig cards that I have only take about 3.5 minutes to do this with a full card.
I am running a 1.67 AL book with 2 gig of ram and an external FW scratch drive 10.4.3 /QT 7.03
DO NOT upgrade to 10.4.4 / QT7.04 I noted a 15% slowdown with this version of the OS
Gary Adcock
Studio37
HD and Film Consultation
Chicago, IL USA -
Gary Adcock
January 17, 2006 at 2:33 am in reply to: Errors and TC problems capturing Varicam ftg to FCP[dpray] “r is FCP like being overly sensitive? I’m getting about a 50% error rate on batch capturing clips. I keep having to change the TC in and out points to get it to take.”
that sounds as if there is speed ramping or a speed change during the capture – that can cause an issue like this.-
turn off the abort capture on TC Error.
turn on make new clip on TC error.[dpray] “(I’m on a G5, system 10.04.4, FCP v.5.04).”
OUCH!!!!!
10.4.4 / QT7.04 have not been tested. That very well may be part of your issue.Gary Adcock
Studio37
HD and Film Consultation
Chicago, IL USA -
[Karl] “Finally the camera does shoot true progressive but since DVCPROHD codec is used to store the information, you have to store the progressive information in an interlaced stream. This is just a way to make 24p fit into the DVCPROHD codec, its not any electronic processing altering the image at all.”
that may be true in 1080 as that is the spec for the Sony developed 1080 PSF,(progressive segmented frame) — but not true of 720p which is a truly progressive capture.
Gary Adcock
Studio37
HD and Film Consultation
Chicago, IL USA -
[Peter Mcauley] “I think alot of wasteful video shooters better get used to the disciplined way of shooting like film. In my opinion this is an unuasable format just because of the price of the cards.”
Peter, I worked for a bit last night with the FS100 unit. this will be the way of people that shoot long form. I will see what happens in a couple of years when everyone is going to tapeless media.
what ever happened when we worked with 2.5min for a 16mm film mag. – you had to stop and switch those too, and worse yet you had to load it in the dark.
Technology is moving forward.
ga
Gary Adcock
Studio37
HD and Film Consultation
Chicago, IL USA -
[Shane Ross] “Sorry for the “bat signal””
“YES, COMMISSIONER Gordon” ( sorry, no leotard)
[Shane Ross] “an you give me a more up to date link or information as to the storage capabilities of the P2 card? The DVX User site lists it as 10 min for 720p24 and I know it is 20 min.”
the 4gig cards are 10m min.
the 8gig cards are 20 min.Shot with a Firestore for 20min last night at the MONSTER Macworld FCP meeting. ( Line to get in was around the Block to see Walter Murch.
Gary Adcock
Studio37
HD and Film Consultation
Chicago, IL USA -
[David Saraceno] “Jan, I’d be more than willing to buy a MacBook Pro to test, if you can get me a HVX200 to test it on.”
that would be a little late as I am testing the cards on a new MB tomorrow before the show opens.
see everyone at the FCPUG meeting tomorrow night.
Gary Adcock
Studio37
HD and Film Consultation
Chicago, IL USA -
Gary Adcock
January 11, 2006 at 6:49 am in reply to: Does HVX200 Include a Macintosh P2 Formatting App?[Jan Crittenden Livingston] “I wouldn’t have thought that emptying the trash while the card was in the computer would do the trick but it did. The Mac sees the files as locked so you will have to force the delete, but we played with it and we got the computer to release the data.”
Note: that the MXF header file (last clip.txt) is locked by default, that file cannot just be thrown away.
I also forgot to mention that I have a background script that automatically unlocks any file dropped in my trash.To qualify Jan’s response –however just deleting the files on the P2 card with my mac does reduce the overall available content of a 4 gig P2 card by about 2.2 megs.
Gary Adcock
Studio37
HD and Film Consultation
Chicago, IL USA -
Gary Adcock
January 10, 2006 at 8:06 am in reply to: Does HVX200 Include a Macintosh P2 Formatting App?[David Saraceno] “In any case, Gary I guess, according to Jan’s response, HAVE TO REFORMAT the card to use it again.”
then I guess that I am incorrect in how I presented the information,
When I shoot with a P2 card, then delete the contents of the card AFTER I have imported it into FCP, then reinsert the card back into the camera, I do not have any problem capturing to the now empty card. While I have not technically “reformatted” I have cleared the contents of the card to allow for more data to be written to it.No the camera will not write over the existing contents of a card without deleting that content first.
Gary Adcock
Studio37
HD and Film Consultation
Chicago, IL USA -
Gary Adcock
January 10, 2006 at 12:37 am in reply to: Does HVX200 Include a Macintosh P2 Formatting App?[David Saraceno] “I know the disk utility will format to FAT32, but I wonder if that is sufficient.”
David as I said – yes the card is fat 32 format and once the card it formated it does not need to be reformatted.
Your P2 card DOES NOT need to be re-formated after every use. I do not understand what your thinking is on this and why you need to be able to do this in a mac. Once the card is formatted it is good to go.
Gary Adcock
Studio37
HD and Film Consultation
Chicago, IL USA