Forum Replies Created

Page 453 of 525
  • Gary Adcock

    February 10, 2006 at 2:14 am in reply to: PLEASE Help me capture 720p24 10bit

    [Eli Mavros] “I know that I should….but it does not work. I have been working on this thing since 10am…been on the phone with AJA, Panasonic, Teck guys from where we rented the deck…and still haven’t figured it out.”

    please confirm
    you have plenty of footage on the tape,there are no TC breaks, you are not capturing over a Speed ramp, you are positive that the footage is 24p ( you checked the User bits on in the Kona control panel), you are not capturing bars and tone as captured on the tape or anything that could have been generated in camera.

    Gary Adcock
    Studio37
    HD and Film Consultation
    Chicago, IL USA

  • Gary Adcock

    February 10, 2006 at 1:49 am in reply to: Anyone else confused or dissapointed with new HVX200?

    [Scenecutter] ”
    Others have suggested that I do not have the proper hardware to downconvert the DVCPROHD recordings. Yhey are noisy, soft and loaded with alias artifacts. BTW, I get the same result with DVCPROHD recordings from the Varicam. “

    Then Stop trying to go from compressed codec to another compressed codec down-convert in software. FCP does not do that well. and you need to judge SD footage on a proper NTSC display.
    You are doing yourself a great disservice — no computer monitor cannot properly judge an NTSC image.

    Gary Adcock
    Studio37
    HD and Film Consultation
    Chicago, IL USA

  • Gary Adcock

    February 10, 2006 at 1:46 am in reply to: Anyone else confused or dissapointed with new HVX200?

    [Scenecutter] ”
    Others have suggested that I do not have the proper hardware to downconvert the DVCPROHD recordings. Yhey are noisy, soft and loaded with alias artifacts. BTW, I get the same result with DVCPROHD recordings from the Varicam. “

    Then Stop trying to go from compressed codec to another compressed codec down-convert in software. FCP does not do that well. and you need to judge SD footage on a proper NTSC display.
    You are doing yourself a great disservice — no computer monitor cannot properly judge an NTSC image.

    Gary Adcock
    Studio37
    HD and Film Consultation
    Chicago, IL USA

  • Gary Adcock

    February 9, 2006 at 12:26 pm in reply to: Monitoring out to HD/LCD

    [Tim] “The 720p30 set up is present in the Easy Setups…but if I select that my project is fine, but when I go to set an output setting for monitor or to tape…the 720p30 setting is not in the list at all.”

    Thats because the spec for all 720p video out is 60 frames a second.

    What ever you shoot in 720 has to play out at 60 frames, that is the spec for the 720p format. ( just like 24p NTSC has to play back at 29.97) Your pulldown cadence should be 2:2 so that FCP add back in one frame for every one you have shot with the JVC camera.

    Gary Adcock
    Studio37
    HD and Film Consultation
    Chicago, IL USA

  • Gary Adcock

    February 9, 2006 at 12:19 pm in reply to: SDI Embedded +10db higher than it should

    [Leigh Thomas] “The levels out that I have on the + side are at +8db even from Final Cut’s bars
    To solve this problem and give me a bit more control on sound input and output,”

    Leigh..
    is there some reason why you do not change the default tone settings to match your needs for output?
    That db tone setting is editable (I have one client that uses -18db for their output)

    also I see this is an FCP issue- not a kona one.

    Gary Adcock
    Studio37
    HD and Film Consultation
    Chicago, IL USA

  • Gary Adcock

    February 9, 2006 at 12:19 pm in reply to: SDI Embedded +10db higher than it should

    [Leigh Thomas] “The levels out that I have on the + side are at +8db even from Final Cut’s bars
    To solve this problem and give me a bit more control on sound input and output,”

    Leigh..
    is there some reason why you do not change the default tone settings to match your needs for output?
    That db tone setting is editable (I have one client that uses -18db for their output)

    also I see this is an FCP issue- not a kona one.

    Gary Adcock
    Studio37
    HD and Film Consultation
    Chicago, IL USA

  • Gary Adcock

    February 9, 2006 at 12:10 pm in reply to: Kona 3

    [JeremyG] “Cool. Thanks Ramona, I am looking to get a Quad and I can’t find anyone who has it in stock.”

    they are — finding one in stock may be tough as most dealers do not stock products with in the first 30 days of the shipping date.

    Gary Adcock
    Studio37
    HD and Film Consultation
    Chicago, IL USA

  • Gary Adcock

    February 8, 2006 at 3:31 pm in reply to: 720p24 to 1080p24?

    [Blake Calhoun] “When you say “UC chipset”, is this referring to the 1700 deck? “

    it is actually referring to the Universal Converter chips that are used by virtually all companies that perform up-conversions via hardware. Panasonic, AJA, and Sony all use similar chips to perform the up and down conversions.

    That’s why almost all of the hardware solutions get the similar results until you factor in the software functions.

    Gary Adcock
    Studio37
    HD and Film Consultation
    Chicago, IL USA

  • Gary Adcock

    February 8, 2006 at 3:26 pm in reply to: I’d like to discuss the SPX800 P2 camera

    [Chris Baldwin] “It seems to be the nail in the coffin. I even understand the high cost of P2 acquisition media. But until archiving becomes as cheap as tape or cheaper, I don’t get what we’re even talking about all this for.
    I mean Jan, Gary anybody! How do we archive? I’m even talking about working in DVCPRO50 SD still at this point. “

    want to add to Jan’s comments on archiving

    this is part of a new world philosophy and people are going to have to start thinking about archiving everything. I understand that everyone is looking for the “holy grail’ on this, but the reality is that every person needs to examine all of the options available –NOT just because they are thinking about the P2 workflow . ALL of our digital assets need to be archived and maintained.

    When is the last time you backed up your email or the phone list in your cell? Is that data any more or less important that the video you plan on shooting? No – just larger. Jan is correct about Blu Ray DVD’s – but I also have a dual layer 9 gig burner in my new mac. -so things are looking up on the archive DVD based archive front. but do not forget that all of us have at our disposal a simple and affordable backup available already.
    It is called a hard drive. I purchase seagate 250 gig IDE drives for about $125. I use a weibe-tech forensic dock to attach it to my computer via FW and back up to it. Stick it back in the Static bag and Label the contents on the OUTSIDE of the box and put it back on the shelf.

    Gary Adcock
    Studio37
    HD and Film Consultation
    Chicago, IL USA

  • [tPIX] “Teranex is in the $100k plus range and there are various levels – so I don’t think you want to buy one. It is a hardware and software package. “

    Tpix– note too that the new Teranex Mini offers all of this for about $8K. THe Mini units started shipping late last year and the top of the line mini unit offers Up, Down, and cross conversion in addition to the noise reduction features.

    Not everything is in the tool kit as the big one. but certainly more affordable now. I am testing a eval unit now and it looks great.

    https://teranexlive.dimentians.com/home/platforms/Mini.cfm

    Gary Adcock
    Studio37
    HD and Film Consultation
    Chicago, IL USA

Page 453 of 525

We use anonymous cookies to give you the best experience we can.
Our Privacy policy | GDPR Policy