Forum Replies Created
-
[john sharaf] “The full-on P2 Varicam will come later, when the card-media costs come down and the per card capacity goes up (to at least 16Gb) and will include (still my guess) D5 recording in addition to DVPRO100.”
I was just thinking about 5- 8gig cards giving the user 100 minutes of continuous recording @720p24
low light capabilities, interchangeable lenses.Gary Adcock
Studio37
HD and Film Consultation
Chicago, IL USA -
[Charles Binn] “I just heard from a Panasonic Dealer that a new HD camcorder from Panasonic will be shown at NAB 2006.”
Jeff Merritt has been very vocal about any new varicam version at NAB this year
https://forums.creativecow.net/cgi-bin/new_read_post.cgi?forumid=120&postid=855734Gary Adcock
Studio37
HD and Film Consultation
Chicago, IL USA -
[Freeman] ” can I input HD-SDI and convert and capture in realtime to uncompressed SD, keeping the slomo footage slowed down? “
Not with the decklink cards. BMD does down conversion via software so it is not real time.
The AJA’s Kona Boards do not have any issues with the variable frame rate capture in any codec and since they
use a hardware based Downconversion there is no delay or post processing needed. Additionally in the E-E modes on the cards this can be done with out opening FCP.Gary Adcock
Studio37
HD and Film Consultation
Chicago, IL USA -
[Steve Slocomb] “I have one of these: ” target=”_blank”>https://www.spcomms.com/ltcexport/”
Sorry steve
but the “Panasonic devices not supported” sure limits the use here.
Gary Adcock
Studio37
HD and Film Consultation
Chicago, IL USA -
you’re fine, you will be able to import the files direct from the camera via FW into your FCP capture scratch folder. the video you work with will be in the same format as the varicam delivers over FW.
DO NOT use compressor for any reason, all it will do is screw up your files
deliver the files as a completed FCP project to your post house on a drive.Trying posting info in the P2 forum rather than here.
Gary Adcock
Studio37
HD and Film Consultation
Chicago, IL USA -
[John Pilgrim] “Second, sorry for not switching the Conform to frame rate to 23.98 before I took the screen shot. I’m WELL aware that 24 doesn’t equal 23.98. That setting doesn’t actually make a difference to the fields option presented at the bottom of the dialog, which is the REAL problem here.”
John
you know that 24p video is 23.98, but you did not check properly check that the field order of 1080 footage is upperfield first. < F2-F1 in CT> I can only go on what info I am shown and that was incorrect, the field order was also incorrect.
Select the Style 2 from the Pulldown to get a different set of frame choice combinations. However
As for cadence removal, this gets a little more dicey as you need to understand what the 2:3:3:2 cadence looks like when you go thru frame by frame. I cannot show you, SO you have to determine what the cadence of your footage is and what frame you are on to determine which of the pulldown frame combinations you have to choose.in the traditional post environment the pulldown cadence starts on frame 0 or 5 for 3:2 pulldown, I do not know what are how you have the footage ( subcliping, transcoding etc all can effect that default – welcome to Quicktime) you are going to have to look at your footage and determine the cadence of the pulldown and then choose the appropriate cadence setting for the footage you have – there is not an easy way to do this.
you may have to try a couple of settings on your own to see. I can not tell you how to — I can only guide superficially as this is Cinema Tools and 2:3;3:2 cadence removal is not in the manual. other than 3 paragraphs on using the AUTO button (how typically apple)Gary Adcock
Studio37
HD and Film Consultation
Chicago, IL USA -
[kolumban] “When I choose the setup DVCPRO HD 720/24p in FC the compressor in the sequence setting happens to be DVCPRO HD 720p 60.How can I work in a 24PN timeline whithout loosing any quality from my original footage ?”
Check your timeline. if the Seq is at 23.98 you are fine.
The Video out stream over HDSDI in 720p is always 60 frames a second regardless of what frame rate you captured at, just as 24p video in NTSC is always 29.97.
WIth the Hvx200 you have the ability to record less than that number of frames because it it recording to a hard disk (the P2 Cards) and therefore it does not have to conform to the SMPTE spec for the 720p60 video standard. The video out ( and the compression settings) will always say 720p60.Gary Adcock
Studio37
HD and Film Consultation
Chicago, IL USA -
[John Pilgrim] “I’d like to use CT but when given a 1080i24pA file from the HVX, CT only presents options for a 2:3 pulldown removal, not 2:3:3:2. The options CT gives don’t make any sense for 24pA: https://bartlettstreet.com/CT_23.png or at least I’m not groking them.”
John
then stop trying to make 23.98 video 24 then.
there is more to CT than the easy set up.Video 24p is not 24.0 it is 23.98
what is the 1080I field order— if it is not F1 -F2?and you need to determine the cadence to extract the frames.
(so I cannot give a simple answer there is not one. sorry)Gary Adcock
Studio37
HD and Film Consultation
Chicago, IL USA -
[pixeleyed] “At last found the answer to a question I raised here quite some time ago. So if anyone wondered (as I did for a long time) wheather you can capture anyting but 720p60 directly from a Varicam (not a DVCPRO HD deck, the CAM) with the Kona2 to FCP, “
the video stream is always 720p60 –it does not matter if it is a Varicam sending the data or a deck. YOU CAN record the VFR’s RP188 data from the video stream/. It can be captured via the 720p60 video via a kona board at what ever frame rate you shot the footage at regardless of whether a deck or a camera is sending that signal.
I do it regularly. USE the the Kona 23.98 Varicam easy set up –the board will then only accept the flagged frames on ingest as long as there no conflicts in the video stream TC stream < broken TC, bars etc) that can cause the capture to fail. I have done this in every frame rate and ramp from 1- 60 frames, and showed it at the Varicamps when ever possible. one reason to use this workflow is for Green screen or heavy compositing, Addenda makes an HSDSI to Serial converter that allows the Kona boards to accept the RS422 serial control. Gary Adcock Studio37 HD and Film Consultation Chicago, IL USA
-
[John Pilgrim] ” get a dialog for “Remove the telecine 3:2 pulldown” that is rather different from the “Automated Reverse Advanced 2:3:3:2 Pulldown” dialog shown on page 197 of the Cinema Tools manual (which I RTFM’d before posting). Seems like Cinema Tools isn’t any more happy with HVX 1080i24pA footage than FCP. Thoughts?”
yes but unfortunately you have to do it manually, via CT
you tried to handle the DVCPROHD as DV footage and you cannot.FCP and AVID both will only handle advanced pulldown removal from DV and DV50 sources. Not from the
1080 24pA dvcprohd files that the hvx200 can produce. Contrary to Mr MPE’s comments.Gary Adcock
Studio37
HD and Film Consultation
Chicago, IL USA