Forum Replies Created

Page 188 of 282
  • Eric Santiago

    June 11, 2017 at 10:22 pm in reply to: OT – Apple XServe

    Thanks again Bob/Noah for the tips.

    I had a meeting with the IT dept and they wouldn’t touch our dept with a ten-foot pole.
    I am glad, I would rather deal with this my own way.
    It’s a race between the QNAP and Synology.
    IT did suggest the HPE StoreEasy but not sold on that.

  • Eric Santiago

    June 9, 2017 at 2:12 pm in reply to: OT – Apple XServe

    Haha thanks, Bob man you just say it like it is ☺

    Another question.
    My department is sitting on a larger network with corporate IT support.
    One option was to use their NAS system which is solely PC based.
    We would be hitting that system hard which is shared with the rest of the corporation.
    Would we benefit having our own but still on the same network?
    Cost isn’t the issue just wondering which direction is best.

  • Eric Santiago

    June 9, 2017 at 11:38 am in reply to: OT – Apple XServe

    Thanks, Neil and Scott.

    I have tried all the options to get that bugger running.
    That old workhorse deserves a decent burial and I would not bother to upgrade it.
    It has seen many RAIDs go bye bye and stood on its head till last week.

    Thanks everyone for the tips. I am digging these new NAS options.
    Last question. I’m in a 12 person Mac environment as well as 6 PCs (Maya host/render).
    We hit that XServe daily and wondering which of the above options can match or do better for file serving.

    Again thanks, everyone 🙂

  • Eric Santiago

    June 9, 2017 at 3:55 am in reply to: Why Premiere is a Toy

    Aahh finally someone felt the pain I had two years ago holding some Director slash turned into an Editors hands.
    I won’t add to this but will sit back and see how everyone responds.
    Myself I can’t call it a toy and I use MC, FCPX and PPr daily.
    However, all the issues you faced I’ve had to deal with two years ago and I couldn’t bother to express it here.

  • Eric Santiago

    June 9, 2017 at 3:51 am in reply to: Specific workflow question

    I do a lot of what you do and it’s very similar.
    Sometimes whatever works for you is key.
    You don’t seem to be losing any quality with the DNxHD conversion for CG.
    For me, I do both DNxHD/HR and ProRes4444 when it comes to CG work.

  • Eric Santiago

    June 9, 2017 at 3:39 am in reply to: OT – Apple XServe

    Thanks Bob for that reply ☺

    I never even thought of it that way.
    Still stuck in the past at my day job.
    I guess with the Macs on a network, the fiber doesn’t really do much, does it?
    The options mentioned all have some sort of filing system that we can manage correct?
    I will start researching them.

    Thanks Noah for replying.
    I think at this point we are ready to let go of the XServe as well as the RAIDs.
    We’ve had that combo for over 9 years and got a lot out of the initial cost.

    I will look into the options Bob mentioned.

    Does anyone have any favorites?

  • Eric Santiago

    June 5, 2017 at 9:57 am in reply to: Export individual clips from timeline

    Great tip thanks!

    I find it fun that these little apps that support FCPX are helping with workflows that were common near the end of FCP legacy.
    It reminds me of the early 90s when apps didn’t talk to each other and we all had these crazy workarounds that made it fun to discover or learn.

    Just feeling nostalgic 🙂

  • Eric Santiago

    June 5, 2017 at 9:46 am in reply to: Slightly OT: Update confusion

    If you mean FCPX and latest I believe there are no updates.

  • Eric Santiago

    June 5, 2017 at 8:04 am in reply to: So way off topic question

    How about non-union?

    Is this commonly used in the business?

  • Eric Santiago

    June 5, 2017 at 3:28 am in reply to: So way off topic question

    [Jeremy Garchow] “We’ve also received quotes for crap loads of money for talent and eventually negotiated down to our client’s budget. At the very least, I’d start there.”

    That sounds interesting.

    I think we will give that a try.

    To be honest, its time like this where we clients cut back and say “instead of three actors, lets just go with one”.

    That, of course, throws me back to the drawing (story) board (pardon the pun).

Page 188 of 282

We use anonymous cookies to give you the best experience we can.
Our Privacy policy | GDPR Policy